Bordeaux -- On your own or hire a guide?

Very sorry to hear that, Michael. Hamish is such a wonderful guy, this makes me wonder if he somehow (!?!) didn’t get your messages. Let me see about something …

Hello Brian and Michael
Firstly Brian…many thanks for alerting me to this thread. I am sorry that I have not checked in with the Wine Berserkers forum recently.
Secondly Michael…as far as I can see the last email exchange we had was in a January 2015 when I was recommending a friend of mine in South Africa, who is a winemaker and runs wine in tours.
If I have missed an email (or it sounds like a few) please re send and I will reply in detail.
Cheers
Hamish

What is the etiquette for buying wine after a winery visit around Bordeaux? We are flying into Bordeaux for onward journey to do the Camino de Santiago, and would like to take advantage of this by spending 2 nights in Bordeaux before going to St. Jean Pied de Port. Because of these onward plans, buying multiple bottles is out of the question.

I’m leaning towards not bothering to visit any wineries and/or vineyards. But I want to check with others who have more experience to see if the wineries realize the concept that these visits can influence future purchasing over a lifetime. Or if they only care about the short game, and would be offended if we walk out with only 1 bottle.

Few of the classed growths will offer any wine for sale. Don’t worry.

It sounds like SPAM filters have struck again. I have found messages in my SPAM filter from people with whom I regularly correspond. I don’t understand how they work. I have sent a PM to you via this board.

Michael

I don’t recall ever being presented with the option to buy at the Chateau. Don’t worry about this at all, as it won’t be a problem.

Our first trip we hired a guide. Expensive, but worth it the first time to get the lay of the land.

After that, we self toured. If you book ahead of time, you can get visits in most chateaus. Our last trip, we booked Haut Brion, Lafite, Lynch Bages, Leoville Barton, Clinet and Troplong. Not a lot of traffic once you are out of Bordeaux.

He was awesome, we used him for a day in St. Emillion and he was great.

It looks like my email still don’t get through to Hamish for some reason. I pm’d the same day this was posted. No response. I provided my personal email address as well. Don’t know what to say. It isn’t in the cards.

I finally booked with Henri for 3 days of touring in Bordeaux. Thanks to all of you that recommended him. He communicates promptly and completely and I very much appreciate that.

For those of you that are interested or that know Hamish, he never did contact me even though I sent him a PM the same day he posted on the board. That was par for the course.

Good luck and have a great time.

Looking forward to the trip Howard. Thanks so much for your assistance. Found a decent Airbnb in a good location according to Henri and we are set.