Bordeaux Lovers: Have you tried all Bdx from the 1855 Classification?

Enzo, Enzo . . . you ended your skirt chasing way too young! neener

Thanks!

Haut Brion is a “must” try. While I have a particular affinity for Mouton and its flashiness, Haut Brion is a haunting, captivating wine.

[cheers.gif]

In the business; have had them all except Pouget. Will rectify quickly.

Remember when I was trying to stay awake to feed my then 2 months old son, trying to list all the grand crus. Without cheating, see how many you can manage; it’s tougher than you think.

I´ve never tasted
Chateau Boyd-Cantenac
Chateau Desmirail
Chateau Marquis d’Alesme Becker
Chateau Pouget
Chateau Belgrave

and quite a lot of Sauternes like
Caillou
Haut-Peyrague
Rabaud-Promis
Sigalas-Rabaud
Suau
Doisy-Dubroca
Brustet
Lomothe
Romer

I have opened a NEW THREAD about the
WORST classified Chateau - se HERE:

Gerhard… Dubignon is not missing from the list. It no longer exists. It became part of Malescot in the 1870’s. For more details on the classification. Learn About 1855 Bordeaux Classification of the Medoc, Official History

For the red wines, I have not tasted between 5 & 10 of the 3rd, 4th and 5th growths. The more difficult challange is, how many of the originally classified wines of Sauternes have you tasted? I’ve tasted all 12 of the First Growths, but only half of the 14 Second Growths. Sauternes Classification of Sauternes and Barsac Wines 1855

Dubignon?

Jeff, I KNOW that.
But it got back to existence around 1900 and only disappeared again around 1960 - so there are still older bottles around - and can be tasted/drunk … so why not on the list! neener

What I am not sure of is, what was it Classified as when it was reintroduced? I think it was classified as a Cru Bourgeois Superieur. Regardless, I have never even seen a bottle. Today the property no longer exists. It was divided into Malescot and Durfort and even Chateau Margaux.

See: http://www.monmillesime.com/vieux-vins,vin-chateau-dubignon-talbot-malescot-saint-exupery-margaux-millesime-1949-bordeaux-rouge,3471.php?lang=fr&page=14&sort=millesime&sort_dir=DESC

The label reads definitely CRU CLASSÉ …

Robert–My list is similar to yours, although I’ve tasted a few that you’ve missed. Of course, I’m not counting wines that I may have tasted decades ago and have forgotten due to the mists of time or wines that I may have tasted but didn’t look at the labels.

I also enjoyed Carrie’s loganberry story. :slight_smile:

Bruce

There are a few I haven’t had. I am sure most people have not had pedesclaux and I am here to tell you don’t bother.

The many recent Bordeaux threads, including the current one on identifying Chateaux that have remained “traditional,” got me thinking of this old thread. Was curious where I stood in comparision to 6 years ago, not that I actively seek out trying to taste everything in the 1855 Classification. Well, I have ended up trying a handful of ones that I had not tried before, oddly enough, most from Margaux. Perhaps not odd, though, as historically that has been my least favorite of the major appellations. Either my tastes have changed a bit or Margaux has been improving over the years, as I now seem to own more Margaux that I ever have before (still not a lot, but much more). I also think Margaux may be producing one of the most classic, unique expressions of Bordeaux that I have had in recent years: Clos du Jaugueyron. Granted, I’ve only have vintage 2000, but it blew me away.

Of the wines that I have recently tried and added to my list of “yes,” Brane Cantenac has been my favorite.

So where do you stand on this 1855 list?

That list really got My brains going!
The horse-shoe wine flirtysmile , Marquis d’Alesme Becker, (the '86) was a favorite house wine for Me in the mid Nineties. Found in better supermarkets, fair priced. I really liked it back then.
I have not been able to find the same joy in later vintages, and the once juicy '86s must be singing the last tones by now. The 96 could be a candidate for today. It was very primary when last tasted in 2005.

I got a handful of Croizet-Bages 96s. Also a supermarket growth, not charming young, I remember! I’ll try one soon and post.

-Søren.

I think there are a few obscure estates on that list I’ve missed, but some are genuinely hard to find stateside. Many of the ones that people have collectively missed never got flashy reviews, and thus the US supply chain was never going to send them 3000-6000 miles. Some like Pedesclaux, D’Ausac etc. seem to be making better wines, by critics comments, and I see them now on store shelves.

Although not classified the same way, there are many more right bank wines I’ve missed. I’ve never even seen a Le Pin. Never had a Valandraud or new flashy l’If. The only Petrus I’ve had was poured by Kapon/Kurniawan, so was not likely real.

Pomerol has lots of tiny estates that don’t make it over the pond. So on my rare trips to Europe/UK I try to look for names to bring home that I’m unlikely to find normally. Often they are nothing special anyways, but its interesting to hunt for them.

Great thread.

Someone wanna start a right bank classification thread? Would be cool. Of the biggies, the only one I think I have not had is Le Pin. In fact, I have never even seen a bottle of Le Pin.

Have not had or do not remember having:

Chateau Rauzan-Gassies
Chateau Boyd-Cantenac
Chateau Desmirail
Chateau Malescot St-Exupéry
Chateau Marquis-de-Terme
Chateau Pouget
Chateau Croizet-Bages
Chateau Haut-Bages-Libéral
Chateau Lynch-Moussas
Chateau Pédesclaux
Chateau Dauzac
Chateau Belgrave
Chateau Camensac

Sauternes, have not had or do not remember having:

Clos Haut Peyraguey
Raubaud Promis
Sigalas Rabaud
de Myrat
Doisy Dubroca
Doisy Vedrines - not sure
Broustet
Caillou
Suau
de Malle
Romer
Lamothe Despujols

Grand Cru Burgundies red and white (by appellation) - the only appellation I have not had is Romanee Conti

My list below - if it’s in red, I’ve NOT had it

First Growths
Chateau Lafite-Rothschild
Chateau Latour
Chateau Mouton-Rothschild
Chateau Margaux
Chateau Haut-Brion

Second Growths
Chateau Pichon-Baron de Longueville
Chateau Pichon-Longueville Comtesse de Lalande
Chateau Ducru-Beaucaillou
Chateau Gruaud-Larose
Chateau Léoville-Las Cases
Chateau Léoville-Barton
Chateau Léoville-Poyferré
Chateau Cos d’Estournel
Chateau Montrose
Chateau Brane-Cantenac
Chateau Durfort-Vivens
Chateau Lascombes
Chateau Rauzan-Ségla
Chateau Rauzan-Gassies

Third Growths
Chateau Lagrange
Chateau Langoa-Barton
Chateau Boyd-Cantenac
Chateau Cantenac-Brown
Chateau Desmirail
Chateau Ferrière
Chateau Giscours
Chateau d’Issan
Chateau Kirwan
Chateau Malescot St-Exupéry
Chateau Palmer
Chateau Calon-Ségur
Chateau La Lagune

Fourth Growths
Chateau Duhart-Milon
Chateau Marquis-de-Terme
Chateau Pouget
Chateau Prieuré-Lichine
Chateau Beychevelle
Chateau Branaire-Ducru
Chateau St Pierre
Chateau Talbot
Chateau Lafon Rochet
Chateau La Tour Carnet

Fifth Growths
Chateau d’Armailhac
Chateau Batailley
Chateau Clerc-Milon
Chateau Croizet-Bages
Chateau Grand-Puy-Ducasse (don’t think so)
Chateau Grand-Puy-Lacoste
Chateau Haut-Bages-Libéral
Chateau Haut-Batailley
Chateau Lynch-Bages
Chateau Lynch-Moussas
Chateau Pédesclaux
Chateau Pontet-Canet
Chateau Dauzac
Chateau du Tertre
Chateau Cos-Labory
Chateau Belgrave
Chateau Camensac
Chateau Cantemerle

There are more that I haven’t heard of than I have tried…