BGE Question.

I’m still using a chimney starter, but will likely soon switch to electric.
I use a small shop vac, with a small hose which fits nicely into my bottom vent. Dump in trash and rinse it and the filter out. I always wait at least 48 hours from last use to vacuum. But quite frankly, when you burn nothing but lump or wood chunks, it doesn’t need much cleaning. I have a rake that stirs around the leftover charcoal after I shut it down and I make sure that no ash has built up to prevent poor air circulation.
I need to get some of the welder’s gloves, but they aren’t really a requirement.
I have an egg clone, the Vision Grill which I purchased from Sam’s. It seems to be very well built and had a bunch of accessories as standards. The cooking area is also 32% larger than the XL BGE. I think my all-in price was $590.
I still use my inexpensive IR gas grill for stuff like roasting peppers or grilling fish.

Smoked some tomatoes the other night while I was slow roasting chicken parts. Made a killer sauce that I then put over some grilled patty pan squash. Topped the whole thing with some goat cheese chunks. Really tasty. Think I am going to smoke a big batch this weekend, should make a nice sauce for some endangered red snapper that I hope to catch when the season opens Sunday.

Picking up my BGE this weekend. [dance-clap.gif] Thanks for all the advice everyone!!

Congrats Dale!

BTW I love your avatar.

Now you need to buy a torque wrench to put it together. I know where you can get one! [wink.gif]

You are going to love it.

JD

This is true, my 1/2" drive torque wrench didn’t have settings down to their spec so I had to go buy a 3/8" wrench. Definitely this is something you don’t want to under- or over-torque.

Uh oh, I just used my “torque arm” to estimate the bolt tightness. Hasn’t fallen apart yet :wink:

Jay - This is awesome. I already have a basic thermoworks probe that performs well, but this takes it to the next level! What is the range for the Bluetooth connection to your phone/iPad?

You have a medium. It doesn’t count. [stirthepothal.gif] [pillow-fight.gif]

Really overtightening is not an issue - I never would have cranked down that hard without the torque wrench telling me to keep going.

I’m dying to get a BGE, but I don’t think I’ll be allowed to have one on my balcony in Dallas. That just means I’ll have to wait yet another year. [head-bang.gif]

I just bought an XL. Besides the platesetter, the nomex gasket, and the pizza stone, I think the DigiQ device is worth exploring and I will likely get one after I get the hang of controlling temps without it;http://www.firecraft.com/product/bbq-guru-digiq-dx2-standard-package-ceramic-black/bbq-gurusFor $272 you are getting not only temp readings and temp control, but also better circulation of smoke due to the fan.
On the lump coal issue, the BGE lump is just re-branded Royal Oak, which is considered better than most, but not the very best. From what I understand, the best burning, most neutral (no off flavors) lump is this; http://www.firecraft.com/product/rockwood-lump-charcoal-20lbs/charcoal-wood. Here is a good reference for any BGE owner; Naked Whiz Ceramic Charcoal Cooking, Kamado Style Cookers and Lump Charcoal)

In my testing it was about 60 ft. USB charge was also great. I love having different profiles (hi/low temp) based on what I am cooking.

Congrats on the new Egg! Going big time with the XL. Funny, that Rockwood charcoal has a big disclaimer: “*** Not available for sale/shipment to in California ***”. Must be bits of dead Spotted Owl in there, or unhealthy levels of gluten, something forbidden in CA :wink:

Finally got my egg installed in my new BBQ shack and broke the place in with a couple pizzas tonight. Still under construction but it’s nice to have the egg installed and operating.

And yes, the lid opens all the way.

That’s so awesome.

Um, exactly why is there a window, when… the whole friggin’ front of the shed is open air? neener champagne.gif

Really, quite f*cking awesome Brian! [welldone.gif] Love the reclaimed wood. Looks like something out of a scene from Deliverance [shock.gif] but I think that’s what you were going for?

The only thing I question is looks like a fridge right next to the egg? That thing can throw off a lot of heat.

To allow for a drive-through BBQ service?

Brian - amazing. How do you get the ashes out?