Best way to cook wagyu?

Okay, I’m sure there’s a joke I’m not getting here…

Ah, a quick search led me to the Kurniawan thread. I usually only catch up on that thread every few months when things are really slow so I had missed the whole Instagram/Madrigale section.

I recently pan-seared some inch-think A5 Wagyu. Just salt (no pepper, and no oil/butter), medium-high heat (or high if you don’t have a great burner), about 1.5-2 minutes per side, 5 minute rest afterwards. It came out great.

I’ve been able to source some about 2" steaks. I cut them into about 2" cubes, salt and let them fully come to room temp, then use my Searzall on each side, then slice into a few thin strips and serve with salt flakes. This replicates the way we ate it in Japan and also at a local Japanese owned sushi/yakitori restaurant.

I like the center warm, but rare. Not the medium that other here prefer. I find anything past rare causes the fat to melt away for a more mealy texture. The fat will melt in your mouth if you’ve allowed it to come to room temp and seared the outside so the interior is warm rare.

I’m intrigued by the neutral vinegar idea suggested by Sarah.

I’m getting good mileage out of that:

I try to cook it like they do when I go to a restaurant: a bit of oil in a pan (very little), sear the steak on both sides, take it out and cut it in bites, sear these for a few seconds more and then serve.

I once tried to cook it like my regular ribeye, but it was not great. I like the above method much more.

Alain

I’ve done a reverse sear with super-marbled steaks and it works wonders. Do it on the Egg at about 250 with a probe in to desired initial temp (as others have said the high-fat steaks have are a bit weird if done too rare). I then tent with foil and crank the egg up to full-whack and throw it back on for about 60-90 seconds/side and I’m done. Get a real consistent pink through the vast majority of the steak. And this works great for steaks that are thick (>1") too, you just might want to do it around 225 and take it slower.

For a non-egg/grill situation, oven works just fine as long as you can be pretty certain on the temp, from there I finish in a cast iron skillet with a bit of ghee.

Especially with thicker cuts.

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

1 Like

Yeah, this.

Anyone who doesn’t really agree with this is almost certainly eating low grade wagyu…

Nice hot pan, turn often to get a good crust, finish on low heat in the oven.

It’s what the Japanese do with much of their best beef. Maybe you know best though.

I’m in the sous vide/Searzall camp.