Best Tonic Water

Tried this last night and didn’t enjoy as much as fever tree. More subtly flavored.

That’s what I like about it. For me, there’s a better balance of Gin flavors and aromatics with Fentimans than Fever Tree. FT strips some of that away. YMMV.

Inspired by this thread, I tried the Fever Tree premium and I agree with the accolades. It takes a lot to get me to pay more than the ~$1.30 per 750ml that Schweppes costs, but this one is worth it.

For those in the NY Metro area, Fairway has it on sale for $2.50 a 500ml bottle through June 28th.

Larry,

It might also work better with other Gins. I was using Bombay dry (white label) and it might be better with something of a Hendricks style. But I do like the bitter quinine bite of the FT.

Yeah, that easily could be. I use it with more traditional-style gins: Blade (local, made in my hometown) and St. George Botanivore.

Schweppes has incredible flavored tonics (Pink Peppercorn, Orange Blossom/Lavender, Hibiscus, etc) that are only available in Spain (and Portugal - at least at one bar.) I went through G&T (Spanish style, but in Lisbon) with them and there was a clear difference with Pink Peppercorn being my fav. Not had side by side, but I think it was better than Fever, Q, etc.

Schweppes has this annoying history of having regional products. We used bring back a case of Mandarin soda from Cyprus every summer and dole it out carefully.

A.

Based on this thread I bought some of the Fever Tree Indian Water and tried it side by side with Q. I thought the Fever Tree was too sweet. I am sticking with the Q. It has a more natural flavor to it.

I don’t know of those gins. A question though: by “traditional” do you mean “what most think of as gin” or do you mean old-school Dutch geniver style? Because I think of Bombay white as a traditional gin in the London style for sure.

These are both made in the Bay Area. St. George’s products (they have many, not just gin) have national distribution and are available in Missouri. Blade is only available in CA. These are London-style gins. I’m not a genever fan.

I prefer Q or, when I can find it, Laurisia Acqua Tonica, but found this interesting nonetheless.

There is a light version of the FT Indian. Far less sweet. I would rank FT Indian Light > Q > FT Indian > FT Mediterrean.

A.

Worth noting Andrew that the FT Indian “light” is just naturally less sweetened, not “light” in the fake sugar sense. I only point that out because I cannot stand the flavor of aspartame or any sort of fake sugar, and I like the FT Indian light.