Best taste/effort ratio

I thought about tossing this out as well. Strong contender.

I have to go a bit higher up the effort scale for better taste.

Easiest way for me to really kick things up a notch are fresh well made sauces.

Learning sauces and glazes to go with fresh ingredients has made a difference in my cooking.

Unless I am misunderstanding the OP, I thought the question was meant for a “ready-to-eat” dish or ingredient that could be eaten on its own (a la bacon).

Unless, you know, you take shots of Bearnaise. [barf.gif]

Toast a slice of good bread, then drizzle on some high-quality olive oil and sprinkle with za’atar.

A grilled cheese sandwich with a slice of home-grown tomato under the cheese is hard to beat.

Not that I would know, but I’ve been told a box of glazed doughnuts and joint.

[wow.gif]

Not on the same level as some of the above but roasted potatoes with duck fat are in my top 10% of ease to results ratio.

Blanch in boiling water, Cut in half or quarters depending on size, toss in melted duck fat, add seasonings of your choice and roast in the oven.

No, it can involve prep it’s just that in my experience it’s possible to do a whole lot with a little. Eggs benedict are wonderful but you’ve got to simultaneously poach eggs, cook ham and make the hollandaise, which is a minor pain in the butt. Plus it forces you to realize that 2 tablespoons of hollandaise are like 2 eggs yolks and 3 tablespoons of butter at once, but that’s a separate conversation.

Spinach sauteed in olive oil and garlic
Roasted cauliflower (toss in oil and garlic or other seasoning and roast in oven at 475 for about a half hour or until done).
Sliced carrots simmered in water (or seltzer) and sugar.
Boiled baby potatoes

Easy but time consuming - caramelized onions. I usually let them sit over low heat for about an hour or two until they collapse into themselves. Maybe stir every 15/20 minutes.

Totally agree it is simple, just requires planning. But then so would getting an heirloom chicken (or turkey) for me as we just don’t seem to have them in the better local markets. There are certainly choices at some of the farmers market purveyors. Heirloom pork otoh is on the shelf out there, and certainly worth it.

Assuming you are using store bought duck fat right? [cheers.gif]

Roasted cauliflower, brocolli, potato, parsnip, green beans, brussels sprouts, etc, etc are the best. Probably 50% of the meals I cook are roasted veggies of some sort plus a protein (chicken, pork, steak) cooked stovetop. Basically zero prep, healthy, easy, done in 40 minutes, and, unless you are buying very expensive meat, cheap.

I buy a Kosher one. (No choice.) I drizzle on some EVOO and then liberally apply salt, pepper and zaatar. I couldn’t be easier. If I am feeling thorough I rub the bird down get all of the spices all over it. The reality is that it doesn’t make much of a difference…

This, so damn satisfying and a great way to start a nice weekend. I would also toss in a perfectly made grilled cheese, my wife makes the most simply stupefying grilled cheese I have ever had.

Cheers,

Bud

Rendering the duck fat took place during a different meal so it doesn’t count :slight_smile:

Actually, pan sauteed duck breast is pretty easy too but requires more attention than some of the other things posted for pouring off that wonderful fat.

I like dry-brining, Zuni-cafe style. Salt anywhere from 1-3 days in advance and put in the fridge. Skin gets much crispier, and reduces prep time day-of to zero.

Brining isn’t always necessary depending on roasting method and quality of bird. I view brining as insurance that I won’t f*ck up the breast meat.

A cooks illustrated “weekday” technique is to preheat the oven to 425-450 with a skillet inside. prep bird to your taste (clean, pat dry, salt, pepper, lemon, butter, etc…). Tie legs/truss if desired. When the oven is preheated ,put the bird inside breast up for 30 minutes. Then turn off the oven and leave it in for an additional 30 minutes.

I’m done with roasting chickens in the oven. The rotisserie does such a better job.

[head-bang.gif]

Dammitt. Somebody gotta be the sheriff around here.
The answer isn’t “bacon,” any more than it was a fresh picked apple. Nothing beats the simplicity of a perfect, “anything,” – a peach, a slice of good bread and great butter, a bite of toro, whatever. A good avocado with some salt? Nothing is really gonna top that. Simplicity sets the bar high and rewards when it rewards.

The savory answer gotz to be a BLT during tomato season. And the second best answers mostly involve tomatoes during tomato season.
Bruschetta with a slice of tomato, a leaf of basil, and a shave of parmesan, a turn of pepper, and a drizzle is a really good bite.

Play fair.

Versus all the roast chicken ideas, this one is superior. Roasts are charming, but sautéed thighs w/ pan sauce of wine, stock, thyme and butter. Tough to beat for taste/effort ratio.

How about lightly scrambled eggs showered with fresh white truffles.

Another that comes to mind that is a little less expensive is a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich.