Best Seattle restaurants for wine?

I’m not qualified to comment as I don’t get down to Seattle nearly enough. I will say, I had an excellent vinous experience at Il Terrazzo Carmine. American Airlines had screwed up our flight and cost us two days of a European family vacation (they initially told us they wouldn’t be able to get us there that week, so we should simply accept their offer for a refund). We consoled ourselves at a Seattle hotel with a pool and dinner at Carmine’s. I had an amazing bottle of '95 Felsina CCR for $80, and a Giacosa Dolcetto for a song. I remember loving the wine list.
Cheers,
Warren

Not an argument; a fact.

Haven’t been to Ginger for many years (since old location), but are you saying their list bests Canlis for Old World wines, or just for WA and maybe CA wines? I just cannot imagine that Ginger has a huge selection of Burgundy, but I do not know this as fact.

Also, best wine list question seems out of context without mentioning price. I mean, if you have thousands to spend for wine and were looking for Burgs or older Bordeaux, wouldn’t Canlis be the place? But if you were looking for the best selection of Burgundy less than $200 per bottle, then wouldn’t RN74 be the place? Just wondering.

Last time I was at Canlis they had 90 La Tache on for $9,000.

Another vote for Eva. Though Purple Drank fans won’t have a lot of selection to choose from.

I’ve been disappointed with Wild Ginger the two times I have been there since the move, and I have no plans to go back. Why would I, when I can go to Tamarind Tree, bring my own wine, and they are happy to see me?

I have eaten and drank wine at Purple Cafe and Wine Bar in 2012. A very nice experience. It ranked in WineEnthusiast 100 Best Wine Restaurants in 2013.

How was it?

See for yourself.

http://wildginger.net/WildGinger/files/55/55436c72-0770-4727-bd34-58cd1a54cb02.pdf

Canlis has the most expansive list, especially if money is no object, I agree with Chuck there.

Kris, wow, there are some super deals on the Ginger list. It has definitely improved over the past 5 years.

I think it was Seattle…Roy or Ray’s Boathouse… Right on the water…nice food. Good list with a lot go good regional wines appropriate for the menu. But this was about four years ago. Cheers, Bob

That would be Ray’s Boathouse overlooking Shilshole. It’s a nice spot.

This may have been said before, but asking locals here about a list may be fraught with peril. Most of us likely mine lists for an affordable opening wine and bring our own otherwise. I would bet out of towners have a better feel for the upper levels of a list.

With regard to Il Terazzo de Carmine (may he RIP), a traditional consistent place with consistent well trained waitstaff, a place that I love (many of the same staff over the past ten years or more). wine list is fine, but not stellar–sometimes they have a few things stashed away. But a great place to go.

Ray’s does not have a large list, but it is fairly well chosen and not horribly expensive. Unfortunately since their remodel a year and a half ago, I cannot say the same thing about their menu. They have ‘upscaled’ themselves off of our list, which is a shame as we live right around the corner. The food was always decent to good, and I would still say the same, but our last meal there was especially uneven, and at $35-50 for entrees, definitely not worth it.
We still do dine in the Cafe upstairs on occasion. You need to ask, but you can order off the wine list from the main restaurant.

And another strong recommendation for Eva. You may want to spend a few minutes with sample list on line to see if it is your cup of tea, as Lee implies it is not for everyone. But for me it is a place where I almost always order at least one bottle off the list, and sometimes just take home the wine i’ve brought. Corkage is reasonable, but always comped if I buy a bottle. Food is very solid.

But I do byo 90% of the time, so I agree we may not have the best input here.