Best online steaks,are Flannery that good !

this thread got me thinking, so I placed a small order. Ordered two Jorge cuts and Bryan asked me if I wanted to try out a new source that they got one carcass from. He made some Jorge cuts of American Wagyu.

Check out the marbling, the regular is already a beast of a steak.

Just as you described yesterday but maybe even more marbling than I imagined.

Cheers,

Bud

WOW !!!

I want those steaks

I mostly buy LaFrieida now. Shipping from them is free since I’m in NJ. The cost of Flannery with the shipping is more expensive and I don’t find that much difference in quality. If I lived on the West Coast, I would probably say just the opposite.

…stay hungry my friends. :slight_smile:

OK, I received my Berserkerday Flannery NY steaks. They are 12 ounce dry aged. If we have them tonight, do I unwrap and put them on a plate in the fridge? Grill or cast iron skillet on stove and finish in oven? How would you prepare them?

Nancy, the 12 ounce steaks aren’t as thick - i’d likely grill and rotate often. If you have 25+ day age on them I would suggest pulling 5 degrees from what you’d normally cook a steak and allowing it to rest.

There is absolutely no problem with a skillet either. Many of us do exactly that (sear and oven) with the larger cuts as it allows for more control.

Second rule I’ve found on Flannery - rest them. Rest them even longer than you normally would your steaks (my rule is 50% of the time they were on the heat). I’ve cooked a steak of his in 12-14 minutes and let it rest for that long or longer and really enjoyed the results. Keeping the temp is an issue so I tend to turn my oven on for a few minutes, get it warm and then let the steak rest in there with the door open and the oven off. I’m guessing 110-130 degrees of air temp…

I have had them a few times and love them. When I have had them - I always have gotten the Helluva deal steaks. On the website, he mentions these are the same steaks just odds and ends. We are not serving these at a dinner party but usually just at home for wife and I. Is it worth paying more for the Cali/MW reserve or stay with the Helluva deal steaks which of course are much cheaper. I passed on the B-day offer for this reason. And now curious if I did right thing.

…we’re doing the same tonight with two-20 oz. CA NY cuts form Berserker Day to share with another couple.

I’m about to pull them from the fridge to let them come to room temp. Any recommendations on seasoning? I don’t prefer rubs or elaborate seasonings, and typically stick to a coat of sea salt/olive oil on both sides while it comes to room temp, with pepper after cooking. Any other simple suggestions?

Also, I plan to sear in a cast iron skillet, and finish in the oven. With the intent to hit medium rare, would the temp be 135-5 (for dry aged), or 130, followed by about a 7-10 minute rest?

Thanks!

Andrew, I’d do the same but with less pepper (at first), without any olive oil and following Bryan’s instructions on his website, which will give you a good medium rare after resting (if not even after adding an additional minute or two in the oven). If you prefer more on the rare side, take a couple minutes off.

As for the olive oil, if you do a true sear it will burn and create an acrid smell/taste. Use a higher flash point oil. I actually stopped using any oil in my seasoned cast iron with Flannery, imo it possesses enough fat that the steak will release with ease after 90-160 seconds on a truly searing-hot skillet. Either way, be prepared for some smoke…

Finish the steak with more pepper and olive oil midway through the oven temp, if those are the flavors you prefer. Unlike grilling, searing well-peppered steak to me makes the coarse ground pepper taste too burned. Ymmv though.

We split a 16 ounce steak last night between the two of us, very rich and good. I salted it about 20-25 minutes before cooking with sea salt (could use kosher) and then added fresh ground pepper. Heated a pan on the stove and used a piece of trimmed off fat to lubricate the pan. Seared it on the two faces and on the side opposite the fat cap till browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transferred to a small pan and into a 400 deg oven. Used a remote thermometer to monitor and took out of the oven at 125-127 deg. Had a great pink/red across the meat.

With the intent to hit medium rare, would the temp be 135-5 (for dry aged), or 130, followed by about a 7-10 minute rest?

I wouldn’t come close to that…you can always add heat if it’s too rare…I’d pull in the high teens at most…it will coast up…

Is it worth paying more for the Cali/MW reserve or stay with the Helluva deal steaks which of course are much cheaper.

Yup Flavor is the same, they’re just the uglier cuts off the ends. I but them all the time. One thing to do is to make sure you pull similar size steaks (if you freeze) so they cook at a similar rate should you do more than one.

I’m trusting DH to do these on the grill. Bryan’s site says to time by the thickness of the steaks and ours are about 1 1/4 inch. He suggests 9 minutes total but also says 7 and 3 minutes per side, which adds up to 10. I think he meant 6 and 3.

Minimal seasoning for me. DH likes his more done and lots more pepper on everything.

Thinking of pulling a 2001 Chateau Montelena to pair with the meat.

to clarify tho, the helluva deal steaks are from the MW, not the cali reserve right?

sorry I know it’s way too late, but I’ve had great success doing oven first at about 250F (a 20oz is about 1.75 inches thick, i’d say 30 minutes in the oven ~ unless you have a thermometer and pull around 125) then hit the cast iron skillet afterwards to sear.

I just give it a good dusting of kosher salt and use butter in the pan, no oil

due to the thickness of these steaks, i would highly recommend constant flipping of the steak. I wouldn’t let it sit too long on one side or you’ll get the gray band of doom.

I should have taken a picture of the inside of the steaks. Actually, no grey band of doom. I had the steak that was slightly thicker than the other. Mine was done as suggested on the Flannery site (6 and 3) and he did his 5 and 4. Long rest. Good juiciness and rare to medium rare.
image.jpg

I get a decent crust on BBQ, then oven finish for about 7 min in 375-400 degree oven.

Similar idea for me. I usually simply grill them on my Weber kettle. It has a wonderful cast iron insert, which they have unfortunately discontinued. This allows for beautiful crosshatch marking and then I move them to the side of the grill for a minute or two. I only use sea salt and some pepper to simply let the meat shine.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]