Best American Riesling

This. Don’t drink much US Riesling, but was at Stony Hill last week and their Riesling was quite good.

I always enjoy Fox Run from Finger Lakes when I can find it.

+10000000

From my experience, Brooks, Paetra, Love & Squalor from Oregon and Ravines from New York are the best I can find. I drink quite a bit of Oregon riesling and these three seem to be the best. Brooks is the most diverse, Love & Squalor is great with Thai food due to the higher acid and Petra is the closest to Germany as you’ll find here.

Paging Tom Hill…

In the day, David Bruce made some legendary Rieslings and Tom can wade in here.

Very good and reasonable. Starting to drink more these days. [cheers.gif]

Enjoyed a really nice Chateau Montelena Riesling a few years back.

I have no idea, but I would have trouble believing either of those is the main reason.

Kyle, I think it’s a little strange that you asked for the best from this country in general and expected West Coast suggestions. I’m sure you just weren’t thinking much about how to phrase the question, but I would say the best I’ve had, sweet and dry, have been from the Finger Lakes. I know you said you already have the Finger Lakes examples selected, but I’ll still encourage you to consider something from Forge Cellars if you haven’t already. Even though Ravines and Wiemer are obvious choices, I’ve been quite impressed by what I’ve tasted from Forge Cellars so far. I think there’s a lot of promise there, and still a lot of potential for even higher quality in the Finger Lakes in general. Also, if you’re doing dessert wines, Anthony Road makes some really excellent ones.

Agree with this, although the Paetra I tried from berserker day was a close second.

Yes. I tasted at Belle Pente a couple of months ago and was blown away by a 2010 WV Riesling they poured. Wow.

Charles Smith’s Kung Fu Girl Riesling is really great, especially considering the volume produced and the distribution. It’s a hair off-dry, though, so might not appeal to everyone. The samples I’ve had I really enjoyed. So, if a factor was thrown in as a US Riesling that was more readily available to the market, that would be my choice.

Colorado event?
Colorado Wine Press?
How about a Colorado wine?

Ovum hands down. Brooks close second. Also really like Timothy Malone from Medici vineyard fruit, but apparently that’s going away since all the Riesling from Medici is going to go to J Christopher/Loosen in the future (or so I heard).

Ready to receive mine this fall from Berserkerday!

This can be very tasty!. I attended a small blind tasting where this wine was the outlier, and it did very well against some pretty great wines.

As mentioned, a lot depends on whether you want sweeter or drier. Eroica is always too sweet for me and Poet’s Leap is pretty bad. Ravines from Finger Lakes is good and there were some from Michigan, which may have the most potential in the US at the moment - Grand Traverse is good, and Left Food Charley but the good folks in MI also like them a little sweeter. Seems to me I had a couple from Idaho a while ago and I’d try that too. It’s a cool-climate grape and for me, cool-climate means they have a real winter with snow and ice. I know that the growing season in some of those places might be pretty warm, but when I think of Riesling I always think of Germany and then places like that.

Great tasting though and I’m interested in how you’re going to assess them - best of the bone dry and best of the sweeter ones? And then how sweet are we going? If you find any really dry ones, I’d be interested in knowing what those were.

For my palate: Ovum and Paetra

I have had some very good ones from Dr. Konstantin Frank and a few others in the Finger Lakes region.

It’s almost impossible to get outside the area, but some of the single vineyard rieslings you can get in the ithaca area are really amazing.