Berserkers at the Bowl 2014 (Hollywood CA)

Come over here before the Bowl and there will be PLENTY of cold champagne!!! neener

The lot was a horror last night. The Bowl was sold out (I think it is tonight also). I’d recommend parking down the hill at the Masonic Hall or the Church.

Barry- I’ll have a cooler.

Thanks for the offer! Maybe all 16 of us will drop by!

We’re bringing a charcuterie plate and maybe something else foodwise. We are leaving with Gelbs from my house at 530 so will probably be at picnic area at 610.

John you must know a short cut
[worship.gif]

I’ll be impressed if you are parked by 6:10!!!

Since my buddy John is bringing Argentine sandwiches, I’m switching to Chicken Tikka Masala, served room temperature!

Anyone know why when I print the map, it’s a blank page?

tis your browser. Clear your cookies or try a different browser

Arnie, hopefully the picnic crowd that early won’t jam up things. We’ll try a back way in too.

Along with the charc. plate we’re making a bunch of shrimp cocktail too.

Thanks to Mike for organizing. I think we all had a really good time, despite the show. It was barely passable and nowhere near as good as one might have hoped for in a town full of musicians handed great material. But good food, good wine, good company, and good weather couldn’t be trumped by the abomination that was Billy Ray Cyrus.

Great friends, food and wine will always win out regardless of the situation. Now the stacked parking that took us 45 minutes to get out of is a different story. Great to get the group together and there will be a Berserkers at the Bowl 2015!!
See you both soon. champagne.gif

My motto: Any show with an aisle seat is a great show!

Thanks for a great show , Mike!!

Tell us about the show!

Barry had an aisle seat…'nuff said! [snort.gif]

As I said, other than the plus of what we made of it ourselves, the show that they put on was bad. The more I thought about how good it could have easily been, the more pitiful I decided it was. Then to find out that two of the singers who did big chunks of the vocals were Dave Stewart’s teenaged kids made it all the more despicable. We also found out why, even 20+ years ago at his peak, Stewart was not the front of the Eurythmics.

At first I thought it was going to be the L.A. Phil. doing the Beatles. I wasn’t super jazzed about that. So when we arrived and found out that Stewart had a full band and a slate of guest vocalists I was more enthusiastic. But the band was no one notable and really marginal. The arrangements were lame. The vocals were bad. Stewart’s son did more than anyone else and just wasn’t dynamic. Cyrus sucked. Michelle Branch and Martina McBryde seemed like they didn’t rehearse. Vanessa Amorosi, Liv Warfield, and Allen Stone aren’t exactly big names but at least were decent, perhaps from knowing they’d better rehearse. There was a little storytelling before the show by the original Beatles promoters, but during the show there was a serious lack of much tribute by any of the performers. It was a like a cross between karaoke and a crappy Beatles cover band. A good Beatles cover band can do the songs better. There’s no way Stewart will be allowed to do the show again. The tickets weren’t that expensive, but it was probably the worst Hollywood Bowl show I’ve seen and that count is almost 100.

Thanks, I’ve been on a tear with the Bowl folks about how lame their programming has become. We do a joint marketing thing with them where we give away tickets and this year I flat out told them that I was having trouble finding a show we would want to endorse. Finally ended up with a couple of classical nights and the James Brown tribute.

I used to go four or five times a summer, this year I passed.

What John said, with the exception of Billy Ray Cyrus…we liked him…

What John said, but my disappointment was the Bowl did a Beatles show 4 or 5 years ago and that was a great show. Full orchestra behind the house band and guest singers (much better across the board) meant you also got to hear songs that highlighted strings and horns such as Eleanor Rigby, Long and Winding Road, etc. as well as many others. They also made good use of the monitors with a continuous photo and video stream of some classic Beatles footage. None of that during this show, just shots of the family band. What I saw on that first show is what got me excited to see this and to not even offer to the group which show we would use as our Berserkers at the Bowl show.
Sharing the night with 13 other folks over a spread of food and wine was fun, which is what the night was about.
That was awesome. [cheers.gif] champagne.gif

I’m having trouble imagining a Beatles song that Billy Ray could sing…