Berserker Day IV - Final Thoughts

JJ Buckley emailed me this morning that they are ‘in’, and I had to remind them that the event was yesterday [head-bang.gif]

So can we all bid $1 on their gift certificates?

Thank you all for the overwhelming responce to our offer. We doubled last years total. Im happy to have held back enough of previous vintages to be able to offer you guys some “aged” wines and verticals. We are still processing all the orders and will get all of them out(with the exception of those who have requested us to hold for warmer temps) this week and next. If any of you would like me to hold your order please email me at johnjcabot3@gmail.com
Thanks again everyone!

i bid $248 or something on a $250 certificate last time. SAVED MYSELF TWO BUCKS YO

You bid $249.

a dollar saved in a dollar earned Dr. Kim

Final thoughts: F*@k I spent way too much money.
In all seriousness, weekends do present a problem that I did not encounter over the last two year. I too am excited to be trying new wineries (Buttonwood, Halcon, Stefania) as well as some perennial favorites (Cabot, Jemrose etc) I think I really appreciated the old world offers from Down to Earth and Bestwines…also i would hate to see the event made smaller to only a maximum of offers. I know 2 people who could not get their shit together this year that will almost certainly be wanting to do an offer next year. Huge shout out to whoever got the Big Basin offer together and also a major F@*k off to that person as well because i am officially on wine hiatus after dealing with Matt yesterday (i bought 2 cases of it). To everyone who puts this on and helps make this happen Cheers and many thanks!
Best,
Alston

Have participated in each of the BDs. For me, Sunday is ideal. Interesting that some are more worried about being caught by their wife than having to work.

I like the sample packs to get exposure to new wineries, with other WBs comments/endorsements in the thread. Free shipping is always a big seller. Only one winery, Biggio Hamina, as far as I am tracking had the offer extend beyond the 1 day. I am buying some tonight, ‘after the dust has settled’.

I would vote against the ‘top 50’ construct - the more the better. There is a lot of diverse tastes here. I am a Pinot-phile, but could see where some thought it was tilted that way this year.

All in all, a good experience. Thanks to everyone involved in making it happen.

Given my goal of trying new wineries (bought from ten new ones this time), having BD on a weekend allowed more time for research. All in all, the offers were great. +1 with the suggestion to keep the deals posted in an order so they are readily found and tracked. Extreme kudos to Todd and the group that put all the effort in for this. Simply a great day … [thankyou.gif]

Kendric’s offer stands all week

Liked the volume so would vote against Top 50 idea, even though I only prchased one offer. Resisted the Burg’s only because I had purchased a bunch last summer, btw…

Only one winery, Biggio Hamina, as far as I am tracking had the offer extend beyond the 1 day.

Dacalier, Kendric, and Kealla are going all week. Bailiwick and Stefania are going through Wednesday. Those are the ones I can remember. There may be others.

I believe our BD sales were down a little bit but overall I was happy. In the past I suspected BD hurt my Spring release but am hoping that’s not the case this year.

My suggestion is a firm deadline be established and adhered to for offers to be submitted to the committee. I’d like to see the offer list released to doners earlier. Offers should not start early. Then, on BD, all offers should be posted at once. I don’t think the frantic uncertainty benefits ITBers or the buyers. Doners should have ample opportunity to plot their buying strategy and there shouldn’t be a penalty to ITB who happens to be posted in the afternoon rather than in the AM.

Finally, and I hope this won’t offend, but please please buyers realize that the many of the wineries and other ITB are participating because we are Berserk over wine as well and really appreciate this community. If you like our participation on BD, continue your support on the other 364 days of the year.

This is my third BD, and I have to say that I love it more each year. I can’t wait to try the wine I ordered (seven orders), but I am oddly excited about what lies ahead for next year.

As for the weekend -vs- weekday debate, I am fully in favor of the weekend. Why? My work has barred me fom accessing this site (as well as every other “chat” room). So, if BD goes back to the a weekday, I will be left picking through the dregs (although, there are some pretty good dregs on BD).

I liked the Sunday date. Must be a lot of newlyweds. My wife had no problem as she drinks most of the wine anyway. I use Berserker Day to try wines I haven’t tried before or had a chance to try (Rasa). Like the free shipping offers simply for the fact that you know what the final cost is and not because its always “free”. Like the lower buy-in amounts that allow you to try new wines. A mag of Match for $100 was nice. To me the day is about trying new wines even though you can’t pass on the some of the un-passables like Cabot. Would be against the 50 limit.

+1 on everything except the part about B-Day hurting my Spring Release.

Regardless, a fun event. It is great to see the offers everyone puts out there!

Let’s pull in the reins a little on the “win-win” pronouncements. I understand why “free shipping” and “small samplers” both make it onto a lot of wish lists, but I think people should recognize the incompatibility of those two items. There is simply nothing rational about shipping small quantities of wine. Someone is going to take it in the ass anytime a two-pack of wine is shipped. Offering free shipping doesn’t make the absurd per bottle expense associated with such a shipment disappear into the ether. If you’re talking about shipping across the country and the wine itself was discounted at all, there’s not much left in it for the winery.

I understand why people like the free shipping. Clarity. On the other hand, how does everyone set the price? Assume the highest shipping, and come out ahead on closer customers? Guess at the average? Let the nice people in CA & OR subsidize the people in the rest of the country? My approach has been to pass along the actual discounted Fedex rate. I guess that puts some people off. I think it is worth noting that there is no “Free Shipping”. Just, “Shipping is Included in the Price”. People do like the word “free”.

Any way to filter out Berserker Day from “New Posts” ? It’s spam for some of us.

C’mon, Anthony - man up. [snort.gif] It’s only for a day (OK, a couple) and supports this terrific site