Berserker Barrel idea

Mike, good points. Let’s open it up for discussion if there is some serious interest.

Do we want to be part of the process at all? If so, how much?

Would we rather go with a barrel from someone who is a great maker and just doesn’t have the commercial interest or wherewithal to market the wine? Do we want to go with a more recognized maker/winery and take a barrel from there, as the example posted above?

Let’s keep this discussion flowing, so to speak…

I was thinking Mikes label should be on a shirt too !

I know this is going to be heresy on this board, but I could offer some French juice (as in from France, not Todd) too. Most of my winemakers are too small for this to work, but I do have a great coop in the South that makes a great wine that sells well here in the US.

Just a thought.

Red or White?

Red. Syrah, Grenache, and a weird Merlot that takes on a honeyed note. This last one is great for blending. They really do have some great plots scattered throughout the Languedoc.

I’d also add my St Chinian is making some lovely juice, but that might be a tad more expensive as it’s a domaine. Not much more, though. Her base cuvee here sells for $10-12. And it is fantastic stuff (granted, I am biased).

Michel, you know I’m a fan of French wines, but wouldn’t the cost of one barrel from France be rather extraordinary compared from one in the US? Mass distribution keeps the import costs relatively reasonable.

I’d be up for something like this, and I would be open-minded about other ideas as well. I like the label design too – great work, Mike.

This is seriously effin’ hilarious, Mike…we have GOT to do this label, and all those who are detractors or start polls about it…well…

Berserkers Nation, man. Just think – friends come over, you’re sporting that Berserkers tee, the wife is rocking the Berserkers tank with matching thong, etc., and you get to say, " I thought I might try my own label tonight – 2009 Chateau Pain-grille". How much more of a baller (short of being The Todd) could one possibly get?

It’s absolutely im-freakin-possible, BJ Swallow…that is…unless we sported the name BJ Swallow!

By the way, reading that again, I not only got flush, but fainted twice at just how incredible it all sounds.

Domaine BJ Swallow: I’m thinking that would have to be a white, and a sticky.

I love the idea. It’s such a long shot, ridiculous, unnecessary and blatantly over-the-top suggestion to make a Berserker wine just for shits and giggles. This is about as close as wine geeks can get to a bunch of college kids sitting around a dorm room under the influence of booze and pot saying, “Dude! Let’s open a bar! It’ll be the best bar ever!”

With that said…

Must… have… Berserker… Wine…

I can see how you’d go there, Izzy, but let’s remember that there are plenty here who know some pretty incredible winemakers, some who are pretty incredible winemakers, and others who just know a lot not only about wine, but about winemaking. I bet our collective efforts might produce something pretty good!

I hear ya Todd… I still think it’s a bit of a stretch, but regardless, I’m still down to participate in whatever capacity I can. Sounds like fun if you ask me!

It shouldn’t be too hard to do. I’d imagine finalizing choices would be the toughest task. How about 2 styles of wine? People can agree on one style or the other. Those in one group or the other would most likely agree more often.

Either way, good luck guys!

Count me in for sure, also i like Rays idea about two different styles- something for everyone ya know. Todd lets do some research and talk costs.

Ding ding ding!!! If Gary V. can do it, we can certainly do it. See here Mike’s post:

Otto

Should I call my friend Thomas Brown for a barrel of something? [dance2.gif]

BTW, its not Vaynerchuck, but Gary Fisch from Garys Wine Marketplace in Madison.
http://www.garyswine.com/fine_wine/california/08987.html?utm_source=Vinquire&utm_medium=WineFeed&utm_term=winebottle&utm_campaign=base" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will he personally deliver it and take us on a hunting trip in his sports car?