Beijing and Shanghai dining help.

I think scams can happen anywhere and I am not particularly concerned about the practice in China. I have spent time in Turkey and Bangkok and emerged unscathed. [snort.gif] Yes, I will have my charming SIL with me plus, I still have a touch of my “Bronx” attitude [rofl.gif] which always travels with me. As an aside, I was at a concert event with fellow Berserker Barry L. and he made a major point of explaining the charm of “BU YAO.” I certainly understand that these things can occur but I certainly am not going to worry about it.

So, thanks for the warning but let’s return to more food and touring tips! flirtysmile

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Couldn’t say “Bu Yao” to the little honey when all you’re thinking is Yao Yao Yao!
Yao.jpg

Of course [cheers.gif] But let me ask, if you were solicited inside, say, the Smithsonian (paid ticket entrance with guards at the doors, and everything run or contracted by the federal government), would you be more or less inclined to think it was legit? The scam itself was minor, I wasn’t hurt financially or in any other way, but the fact that it happened in the situation was, to me, another sign of how far the country has yet to progress. As Marshall requested, let’s let this go, was just throwing out my own personal experiences.
Cheers

I wouldn’t know, I don’t fall for scams [snort.gif] [snort.gif] [snort.gif]

I once went to a US national park and they charged me 2 quarters AND a penny to turn my freakin penny into a worthless trinket with a picture of the park. Lesson learned! haha

JK Alan. Even my parents got scammed in China. They were in a restaurant and didn’t ask how much the steamed fish was per kg before they ordered. The fish dish cost them $200 US. But then again, he got scammed by a person asking for his social over the phone here in the US too.

Hey Zhi!!! I collect those pennies! [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

china on china crime.

Wow, having been to China a few times, and obviously heading there again with the family, this certainly has been some interesting reading!

Andrew

I won’t claim it is the best duck in Beijing, but I am a fan of Xiao Wang Fu at Ritan Park, for a couple of reasons: 1) duck is only one item and I like the side dishes there and, more importantly, 2) the view of the park is superb if you get a table on the rooftop. The park is a great place for a stroll and people-watching – people fishing, flying kites, doing taichi, etc.

For a good reasonably priced meal, I also suggest trying the hot pot at Haidilao. The service here is excellent, you can make your own dips, they do noodle-pulling demonstrations amidst the diners, at least some venues give manicures / peanuts / fruit to people waiting, and so on. This place is well-regarded by almost everyone I know in Beijing, whether local or foreign. I’ve usually gone to the one in Sanlitun South. You could check out the Sanlitun North area, basically ground zero for the city’s Western food and wine scene, before or after your meal.

I would also recommend popping into a fruit, vegetable, etc market, San Yuan Li, north of Sanlitun, is pretty popular. There’s one closer that I visit and I always come away with something fun, whether it’s lotus seeds or Shandong jian bing (a kind of pancake) or the first batch of this year’s walnuts. I know it’s not dinging, but it’s food, and it’s a lot of fun poking around these places.

Cheers, Boyce

Thank you Boyce. The trip is getting closer and I am getting more and more excited. Of course, more tips are still appreciated. flirtysmile Next week we have our Global Entry appointments and that will be a big plus.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Marshall, I’ll be in Beijing Oct 1st - 3rd before going on to Benxi, Sanya and wherever the girlfriend takes me!! I’'ll be in China for 3 weeks and I keep get more excited everyday!!

Benxi? Your girlfriend must have family there!

Yes, I’m going to meet the family. Should be an interesting trip.

We will also be spending some time with family but will have plenty of time for just the four of us…but then again, we are all family! [rofl.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

John:

Some unsolicited insight, which may be completely unecessary … If she is taking you to visit the family, she believes the relationship is serious! Have fun! champagne.gif

Cheers,
Andrew

The best duck place in Beijing is Da dong…
It offers a lot of modern take of traditional Chinese dish…
Cherry Foie gras is really nice…

no no no no no!

Why does everyone like Da Dong so much?

I got tricked by their reputation into going there…the modern take….it’s a lean duck with no fat, no taste!

Entry of fat at Da Dong when I went. I’d never declare it ‘the best’ though.

David, which other venues have you tried to claim Da Done is better than them?

I had Da dong many times both in Beijing and Shanghai. It is not that their duck is lean. They just roast it for longer time than traditional roast duck. I would agree that the meat is a little too dry. But the skin is super crispy. But the meat is not the main attraction when it comes to Peking Duck. It is always the skin. It is awesome with a little sugar.

They also offer other innovative dishes that I like. The cherry foie gras mousse and wasabi duck feet are a must try. For adventurous eaters try their sea cucumber. If you are brave enough, order some braised pig intestines (Jiu zhuan Da Chang). I had it with a bottle of 01 egon muller auslese and the pair is heavenly. champagne.gif

In shanghai, you should go to Jinxian Road. There are many small local restaurants that offer authentic Shanghai dishes.

The most famous Shanghai dish may be braised pork belly in sweet sauce. Almost every family has their own recipe and many restaurants offer their own version of this dish. One of the places I like is called Zhi Zhen Jiu Jia. They some a very special local pig (liang tou wu). The pork has a wonderful nutty and sweet taste. It used to be more expensive than kobe beef.