Behmor vs. other Countertop Coffee Roasters?

Your first few roasts don’t need precision, it’ll be more trial and error. Go with whatever batch size lets you hit first crack in 7-9 minutes, and bean development for another 2-3 minutes after the start of first crack without over roasting. If you’re way off those numbers, increase/decrease the batch size until you get close enough.

The hairo scale has both.1 g resolution and a timer

Thanks David.

I looked up the weight of a cup if beans online (before I saw your post) and it said one cup was 10.7 ounces, so I ended up roasting 2/3 of a cup of beans as 1/2 LB of coffee on p1 after preheating it for 2 minutes. Results look pretty good but I’ll know more soon.

I’ll end up ordering a scale from amazon. Thanks again.

Corey, first crack sounds like popcorn popping and second crack sounds like rice crispies in milk. You didn’t ask, but I appreciated that comparison given to me by somebody when I first started roasting.

Thanks Mark, that makes it easy to conceptualize. I associate popcorn as having a much louder crack. As soon as I heard first crack I counted backward and hit cool a couple minutes later – can’t wait to taste the beans.

How much smoke did it make?

-Al

Al, the amount of smoke was a concern for me, but I didn’t get much at all; almost none in fact. Of course I would expect more if I roasted a larger batch or for a longer time (darker roast). I did get a little smell, but nothing crazy.

I can report back as I experiment more.

Thanks. I have a somewhat sensitive smoke detector.

-Al

I don’t have a Behmor but do have a Gene Cafe and a fresh roast. Smoke levels at full city and less are very minimal. Really have to take them past full city+ before you get a lot of smoke.

Al, keep in mind that “alot of smoke” is relative. I’ve been roasting with the Behmor for about 5 years in the lower level of a bi-level about 20 feet from a smoke detector and it has yet to go off. Oh, the detector is operational :slight_smile:

Mark:

Do you know a good place for beginners? The Sweet Maria’s forums seem to be written for folks with at least an advanced beginner - intermediate level of knowledge about roasting. I need a link to Roasting for Idiots.

Thank you.

Try http://coffeegeek.com/forums. It is sort of like WB, but not as active. I’ve not been there for a few years, but it was good when starting.

Also, if you search the Sweetmaria’s site, they have a “library” of info and I think there is a good amount for beginners. There is a visual guide for roasting on SM that I used quite a bit at the start as far as how long after the end of first crack it takes to get to city plus, full city, full city plus, etc… I didn’t use the pictures as much as I used how long after first crack ending the roast had reached another level. It isn’t exact, but it helped. I use P3D for just about all roasts regardless of bean and degree of roast. That’s simplistic, but it works for me.

Lastly, there is an iPad app called roastmaster that I really like to keep track of bean inventory and roast history. Danny, the developer, seems like a great guy.

Thank you for the tips Mark. It’s pretty intimidating, but I’m sure that after a few attempts it gets markedly simpler.

Al,

I don’t get visible smoke when I roast, but it does get a strong smell, especially toward the last 5 minutes or so of the roasting cycle. I’m not sure if it would set off a smoke detector because I have to change the batteries on mine (sad, but true), but good ventilation would obviously lessen the smell.

The strong smell is when your are near, at, or past first crack. Someone more scientific can explain it

Yes, it starts getting bad just before FC.

I have found that I’m roasting longer than recommended (under loading the beans) to get a darker roast – as the roast darkens I get more of the strong roasted coffee scent, but not visible smoke.

I’ve gotten my Behmor down pretty well over the last few months. If I want to get a darker batch I just take 1/2 pound of beans and run it under the 1lb setting at P1 and monitor closely. Other than those times the 1/2 pound and 1/2 pound setting at P1 is working great. I will occasionally have to run bigger batches through again and take time off the second roast.

Had the Timor Ermera (organic, free trade) from Coffee Bean Corral this weekend when friends were over… roasted just a bit past first crack and it was a big hit. Also digging the Papua New Guinea Purosa from CBC.

just bought a Behmor–$299 everywhere but roastmaster throws in 8 lbs of various green coffees!

Enjoy it Alan. Would love to hear your thoughts.