Bedrock Winter 2016 Release

I don’t know if the Bedrock “Ode to Lucien” red (2013 was a proprietary blend of Evangelho Mourvedre, Gibson Ranch Grenache and Syrah) counts as a “Heritage Wine” - probably not - but it is a very unique, stellar wine.

I am obviously biased, but it is a slam-dunk!!!

I advise early drinking or 7-10+ years aging. :slight_smile:

Wallet opens up when Monte Rosso is the word. I have room in the cellar for every bottle I’m allocated.
Just wondering if there’s a truck large enough for my order. neener

Will be maxing out 2015 Monte Rosso Zinfandel, 2015 Carlisle Zinfandel, and 2015 Oakville Farmhouse Heritage Wine. Also a min of 6 of the Syrah. And thinking 1-2 of the the others. Looking forward to this release.

5th year now buying bedrock and my opinions of them have been all over the board. At first I bought a bunch of everything but really only liked the whites and rose. Later as the reds got some age on them, i reversed myself and started to like those much better than the rose and most whites. For the last several years I simply buy the best reds (in my opinion) and put them all away without even thinking of opening one.

I am just now starting to pull some 10s to drink

For sure, the Bedrock reds show best with a couple years on them.

I have to buy the last Monte rosso :astonished:

I think there is one more, the '16, but I could be wrong.

Get clarification from Morgan on that. Bedrock MRV is coming to an end, but I believe they did make a 2016. Carlisle did not.

I guess Gallo has made this a really difficult relationship. Sad. It’s absolutely one of the great gems of California viticulture.

Thanks for clarifying Michael and Larry and yes it is a bummer.

This is the worst news I have heard in the last 24 hours [barf1.gif]

More seriously, this is the worst news I have heard in the last 24 hours.

Where will I turn to get my orange oil quotient???

This is my first year on the list and haven’t seen most of these before. If someone would care to give an idea of the anticipated pricing, I’d very much appreciate it. Also, I’d love to have some thoughts on ranking or prioritizing my purchases (provided I’d be offered all of them). I’m looking forward to the Syrah but the others all sound equally interesting. Thanks in advance.

Well, it looks like you should probably do exactly the opposite given your syrah comment, but for my tastes, the syrah is dead last (easy call…but I just don’t drink that much syrah), with the Oakville and Monte Rosso leading the pack (I’d typically put the Oakville first due to the crazy low production but with this being close to the last year of MR and all…), with the Campagni-Portis white being next in line (probably 6 Bottles), followed closely by the Carlisle, Nervo, and ode-to-lucein at around 4 bottles each.

You’re looking at around $39 each on average for the reds (Oakville a bit higher), and I believe $29 for the white (somewhere in that ballpark).

You seriously can’t go wrong anyway you look at it…
but that’s going to be my strategy.

Thanks, Rich. Of the few Bedrocks I’ve had, I liked the Syrah and I’m always on the lookout for good Syrah especially when well priced. As for the others, I do expect them to be on another level but I can’t pass up the Syrah. I’m really hoping to get some perspective on the rest of the lineup.

I opened a 2014 NC Syrah last night, for $20 it is stellar. I will be in for a few NC, an Oakville, MR and Compagni.

IMO of all the Bedrock reds, the (single vineyard) syrahs need the most age. The zins are fun in their youth and improve with time, and the heritage reds seem to be relatively approachable with a couple years on them. But so far, my experience with the syrahs is that they aren’t ready. As a reference point, I am drinking my '11 and '12 zins/blends, but for my taste, the '09 syrahs are still babies.

I agree with your assessment.

Scott, I recommend getting a little bit of everything so you can see what you like. My first allocation was last year and purchased at least two bottles of each. Of course shipping is a flat $25 so ordering more is better :wink:

I’ve never really had SV Zins before but after drinking bedrock, let’s just say it’s changed my preferences towards this varietal. And Bedrock seems to our perform against others that I’ve tried since.

+2

Oddly enough, the Exposition Series have probably been the most open on release out of any, even the North Coast.

I need a trigger warning for Bedrock releases.

Within the past month I opened a '12 and a '14 North Coast Syrah. Psst, can you keep a secret. Bedrock with some age on it drinks really well.