Becoming a bonded winery in California?

Thank you Peter. I am taking the approach of risk nothing more than you are comfortable losing, has me feeling ok about it. If it all implodes, I won’t be out all that much more than I have been making wine in my garage for personal consumption the last four years.

Be careful. I’ve seen a few over-ambitious, under-talented wineries offering such services.

Great point Wes!

(For a second there, I thought you were describing me [highfive.gif] )

Don’t forget that to keep your permits going you will have to produce over 100 gallons otherwise your stuck in home wine territory.

Joe - there is a minimum production in gallons to maintain your permits? Or are you talking about how a little scale is important to make enough wine to make it worthwhile?

BTW - got your latest email and I’m on for a few, can’t wait to try them! I’m working on sourcing some Pinot from AV this year, make SCM last two years and have a keen interest in the AV.

There is a minimum production of 100+ gallons every other year to maintain the permits. Basically if you don’t use it you loose it. Up to 100 gal (per adult over 18 limit 2 per household) is what was allowed for home wine making and personal comsumption since the enactment of prohibition. Though you can’t sell home wine legally since there are no permits needed to make it in the first place.

Ah, I didn’t see that nuance in what I have read so far. I’m comfortable at that level until I figure out what my distribution strategy is. I don’t want to go too big too soon and be swimming in inventory with no distribution base.

Ah, I didn’t see that nuance in what I have read so far. I’m comfortable at that level until I figure out what my distribution strategy is. I don’t want to go too big too soon and be swimming in inventory with no distribution base.[/quote]

Your way out ahead of the curve on this one. If I had a dollar for every time I heard “Well if we can’t sell it fast enough well just drink it”. So 400 cases 2-3 years in a row with 100 of sales soon they realize there are not enough days left in life to drink that much.

Heard rumor of Petaluma garagist ordinance. 600 gals in your garage.This is going to be interesting if it does go through.

Thanks for that heads up Evan. I submitted the permit applications to the city of livermore. Waiting to hear back. I’ll post on what I learn about any limits or restrictions for garage production.

Are there a lot of garage based wineries in Petaluma? Any big names I might have heard of?

It sounds like Petaluma is following Napa’s (the town) lead on garage permits. I think they allowed it in Napa until a certain number of permits were issued then stopped. I think its a great idea to foster new labels. Even having 600g/250 cases from a previous vintage would be nice to sell once you move to a larger facility.

Tim - nothing yet that I know of. I may do it to have some extra low cost climate controlled storage that is still in bond. Then again I may do it to do a test production of something that doesn’t fit my brand.

thanks

I checked in with the City of Livermore. It seems I am the first person in the city to attempt to start a winery from their garage. So, the approval process is taking longer. No restrictions in the regulations on wine or alcohol. But there are some guidelines on food, which are changing in May. Shockingly it seems the state of California is changing their position on food start ups. It appears the state will allow small food businesses to start up in the home. They seem to be pro small business all of a sudden [scratch.gif]

Steve - thank you. I mentioned this to the city planners. It seemed to help sway them.

Go for it Tim. It is a great ride. Always more to learn.

Hey all, hearing back from the ABC that they don’t allow commercial production in a garage. I know many posters here have said they currently do it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to remind them the do allow it?

Tim,
Are you submitting ABC paperwork without a use permit issued by your county or city? I am not using a garage and I wouldn’t be able to in Sonoma County. My ABC paperwork asked for my use permit number and county contact. If your location is within the city limits, I’m guessing the use permit comes from the city rather than county but I’m not sure of that.

This came up from the city of livermore. I filed my home occupation use permit with the city. No one has ever tried to start a commercial winery from their garage in Livermore before. It seems there is nothing in the city (or county) ordinances that say you can or can’t do it.

As a result, the city contacted the ABC and the Alameda Public Health departments for information and guidance, since they don’t know what to do. The ABC said they wouldn’t permit a garage based commercial winery. So, my contact at the City of Livermore called to update me and pass along that information.

Sounds like I shouldn’t worry since the ABC will default to the City if the home occupation permit is approved.

Is the problem perhaps with the word “garage”? I know the ABC likes for you to have a dedicated facility to process in, not something that’s split-use. Maybe they think you’re going to be pulling your vehicle in next to the barrels. After all, a winery is a food processing facility and that’s maybe the best way to approach it.

Make it clear to them (ABC and County/City)that you will be converting the garage into a processing facility, with a separate entrance and locks on all of the doors, etc. It will be attached to the house but not used as part of the house.

You might download a copy of ABC form 255 Zoning Affidavit. This is a form in the package you submit to the ABC for approval. On this form you have to state that this winery use is permitted by, in your case, the city planning department and that your zoning allows this intended use. If you can get the city to agree with it and you take Hank’s approach with the site diagrams, they might approve it.