Barcelona and Madrid restaurants recs

I will be in Barcelona for Memorial Day Weekend, thanks so much for all these recommendations! I’m staying next to the Cathedral in the Gothic quarter and can’t wait!

Have a great time, Michel

Had a terrific Catalan dinner at Hisop in Eixample/Diagonal/Passeig de Gracia vicinity in March. The tasting menu was well worth the very reasonable price.
http://www.hisop.com/flash/hisop_ENG.htmer

Just had lunch at Cal Pep, after waiting 25 minutes for a seat at the bar, and am happy to report the meal was outstanding. I started with the pan con tomate, with a plate of delicious calamares a la plancha and a side of fried chipirrones, so well-made that the meat had turned practically creamy within the batter. Lunch ended with a dish of botifarra (Catalan sausage) with white beans. As I was alone, this was all I could stomach, though a glass of Cava certainly helped wash things down. Ending with a fantastic espresso just made the meal worth it.

I see that Mercado de San Miguel is open 'til 2am from Thursday through Saturday.

Any idea of what is open? Enough to make it worthwhile if I don’t get there until midnight?

I had a lovely, unpretentious dinner at Restaurante Bilbao in Gracia the other night, delicious Basque food and super inexpensive. Wine list wasn’t great, but we weren’t looking for anything too complicated and this little neighborhood joint fit the bill. The octopus was meltingly delicious, and the eggs with truffle caviar insanely good. BTW, they only serve the ox grilled the correct way, black and blue.

Restaurante Bilbao
C/ PERILL, 33
+34 934 58 96 24 ‎

The wine store Lavinia on Diagnal is now closed :frowning: