Australian must try wines???

Nice Mike, though a '94 Penfolds Semillon would have probably been Adelaide Hills or Barossa? SA Semillon is a bit of a different beast, broader wines that don’t take decades to develop, but with age, get a bit more golden yellow in the glass and a bit more honeyed and kinda cheesy (like parmesan or pecorino, sort of that vaguely yeasty, isovaleric, brioche thing you get with old champagne). Peter Lehmann’s “Margaret” Semillon or Cirillo’s “1850 vines” would be 2 of my favourite examples from that region.

I don’t post much on here, just lurking, but I’m in the Adelaide Hills. There is some really neat stuff going on here. Several more “natural” guys. Check out Jauma, Domaine Lucci, Gentle Folk, Commune of Buttons, Manon, Ochota Barrels, and BK.

I had the 1998 Dead Arm Shiraz last night, along with the 2008. Both top drawer!

Which Wild Duck Creek have you tried? I have found it almost impossible to find anyone else who has tried Wild Duck Creek.

Don’t drink a lot of Aussie and find many Shiraz’s to be so big as to be off-putting. A couple of reds I had recently and loved were:
2005 Kilikanoon Shiraz R
2005 Elderton Cabernet Sauvignon Ashmead Single Vineyard

Mike,
I would suggest for Hunter Semillon, Tyrrells Vat 1, Andrew Thomas, Brokenwood and McWilliams Mt Pleasant.
Another ageworthy curio to keep a look out for is Chateau Tahbilk Marsanne.

I have enjoyed the 2001 Springflat Shiraz lately. Have held since release and is a great wine, big but balanced, nuanced and delicious.

Yes indeed. Visit Andrew Thomas too; they’ve finally got a cellar door up and running.
And you should physically visit Tahbilk near Shepparton; a wonderful place.

And get yourself to Tasmania:
Stefano Lubiana up the north Derwent
Domaine Simha on the wharf in Hobart
Domaine A, Pooley, Craigow, Puddleduck in the Coal Valley.

Then, further north near Launceston:
Josef Chromy
…and in Piper’s River:
Bay of Fires
Delamere

Australia’ best sparklings and pinot will come from Tasmania (the fizz already does!)
cheers,
Graeme

Thanks for the suggestions Kent and all, much appreciated

What surprises me about the Dead Arm, is the price seems to have moved very little from when I last bought it (the 1998 vintage) to now. I guess they’ve suffered a little backlash against the bigger is better, biggest is best style. FWIW I don’t believe the wine changed to milk the Parker/Grateful Palate era, and it had a good cellaring track record before them. Caught in the cross-fire I guess. It isn’t a wine I would buy now, but I wouldn’t criticise it.

From SA as you suggest, a mix of terroir.

I just received an email from a brokerage place offering 2005 Dead arm at $55 AU a bottle which is cheaper than current release.
While some of that is backlash, I think that there is a lot more competition, both from within the region itself and from other regions that have only really really started to show what they are capable of in the last decade or so.

It was the 2012. I posted on it here.

BK Wines
Tom Shobbrock
Domaine Lucci
Charlotte Hardy
Jauma
Jamsheed
Ochota Barrels
Mac Forbes
Brash Higgins
GentleFolk
Bindi
d’Meure (tasmania)
Ochota Barrels
Guthrie

Ochota Barrels is so good Hardy was forced to list it twice! If that’s not a ringing endorsement I don’t know what is. [wow.gif]

champagne.gif

What are the best from Adelaide Hills?

Greg,
Shaw and Smith Shiraz and Chardonnays
SC Pannell Syrah
Longview wines including excellent Gruner Veltliner
Geoff Hardy making some interesting Italian varieties - Fiano, Lagrein
Deviation Rd sparklings - Loftia and Beltana
Ashton Hills Pinots
Bird in hand -I like their Merlot
Sam Scott wines - a cracking Fiano

Greg, Ashton Hills probably make consistently the best Pinot from the Adelaide Hills. Shaw + Smith are good across the board. Pike and Joyce are making excellent Chardonnay and Pinot. Sam Scott is a ripping bloke and making some excellent wines.

2005 Tim Smith Reserve Shiraz is one of the top 3 Aussie wines I have ever tasted. Hard to find.