Australia an New Zealand Maps Single Vineyards

Would make for an enjoyable retirement project I reckon. Google Earth overlays etc, an excuse to visit every region and ask wineries what’s what and where? Fantastic. [cheers.gif]

The last six words are the problem. Legal framework and enforcement. What register of vineyards?

There’s no shortage of wine from all over which claim ‘single vineyard’ - quite legitimately I’m sure - but no-one’s heard of the vineyard, even if the notion of ‘single vineyard’ merely seems a justification for a larger price-tag.
The reality is that the only reason anyone’s ever heard of particular Australian vineyards is because a single producer has made an effort to publicise the name. Who’s going to push for laws which restrict their freedom to operate their business? No-one.
And probably because practically every vineyard in the country is a monopole.

If Hill of Grace had a bunch of owners, and wasn’t a trademarked name of Henschke’s, then things could indeed turn into burgundy.
Even if Henschke offered to sell a few rows of vines, who’d pay the asking price if they couldn’t still call the wine Hill of Grace (which they couldn’t)?

If the first step in establishing a vineyard register is to overturn trademark laws, then it ain’t going to happen.
cheers,
Graeme

More or less what we are doing with http://weinlagen-info.de/ :wink:

Great post Graeme. It ain’t gonna happen. Let’s move on. Nothing to see here…

The monopole situation is indeed the biggest obstacle. FWIW I’m not disagreeing that implementing something across the board is unlikely to happen (hence the alternative approach). As a punter I’m not happy that I might buy vineyard named wine, only to have been conned that it contains only a proportion of wine (or indeed none at all) from that vineyard. It is what it is, not good for the reputation of Aussie wine, nor the majority of producers who do genuinely care about showcasing the specific terroir.