Asimov on CdP 07s - kick out the jam!

Therein lies the problem I am talking about. If you haven’t had it and are considering plopping down$200 or $300 or even $150 for one of these luxury cuvees (and money is not unlimited so you have to think about the purchase) you are going to look for some advice before purchasing. Whether that advice comes from RP, ST, WS, the merchant, or your friends (in the event you haven’t tasted yourself), you will seek some guidance. If that Hommage or Deux Freres, etc., only gets 89 pts from RP, and 90 ST are you going to be willing to plunk down the $300? My guess is, only those that absolutely love Hommage will make the purchase at that price. others will wait for the price to come down to a level they feel like it is worth it to them or they pass altogether. For me at a tasting of 05 CdP’s, I enjoyed the Marcoux VV, but I also enjoyed the Marcoux regular and for the Marcoux VV was not 4 or 5x better than the regular. IIRC the VV was about $200-225 per bottle at the time and the regular Marcoux was about $45-50? IMO, that Marcoux VV needed big Parker points to support it’s price differential with the regular version.

But will Marcoux VV 05 be 4 to 5x better not today, but in 6-7 years…I think so…

I agree that in so so vintages higher scores help move these wines - but in spectacular years like 05 and 07 those high end cuvees should (under normal economic circumstances) move themselves - IMHO

I trust Josh Raynolds most when it comes to my Rhone purchases - and for the 2005 Marcoux VV in his first tasting note he asked which one of his daughters he was going to give up to get some…sounds like its worth it…

For the 2005 Hommage he commented - A hypnotic, supremely compelling wine, with the depth and balance to age for years and years. If you’ve got the means, get some…

It’s not about the points for me - its about what is in the note - and those two notes to me say get involved…

I used to regularly go to Beaucastel to taste with the Perrins. They always poured me whatever Hommage was available. The wines are fantastic, but since not everyone loves Mouverdre they are not for everyone. I did buy a mag of the 89 for less than $150 and a double mag of the 90 for less than $350 from them to haul home. The 89 was sensational, the 90 dbl is still gathering dust in my cellar.

When the 07 hype was just firing up I happened to spend a couple days in CdP and was largely unimpressed with the 07s, I posted my thoughts that they were largely overripe and hot and got lambasted. Despite the many insistances to the contrary, my opinion hasn’t changed. So far I still like 01/04/05 better than 03/06/07.

I have a small sample size, but my favorite CdRs, Sablet, and Cairannes from 2005 became hot and bigger in the 2007 vintage. I’m kind of sad I didn’t buy more of the 2005s when they were still available.

This thread is missing excitement.

Lets get Marc Breitenmoser over here…

Why bring that WA brown nose here basher when we have you for excitement? flirtysmile headbang neener

True, I am going to leave the posting to others, as apparently, I am being voted off the island.

Geesh… now I want to go buy one!

I agree that in so so vintages higher scores help move these wines - but in spectacular years like 05 and 07 those high end cuvees should (under normal economic circumstances) move themselves - IMHO

Matt - and they probably will but many of these cuvees were made in response to Parker in the first place. Ogier’s Belle Helene was created just for Parker. They are priced accordingly and need to continue to command great tasting notes and high scores from the critics to command the price premium over their “basic” siblings.

If Marcoux VV starts receiving 90-92 pt scores (with a tasting note to support the score) and the regular bottle scores 90-92 pts (with a tasting note to support the score) and it costs $175-200 less per bottle…which one would the average consumer buy? I guarantee they buy the regular.

I don’t agree with this Tony. What makes you think this?

The Hommage, Celestins and Marcoux VV have been loved by Parker for many years, but were made well before he had any real influence in CDP.
He was given credit for his 82 Bordeaux call and followed there since the 80’s. Not so much for CDP until this decade.

I am extrapolating a bit. Ogier’s Belle Helene was created just for Parker. That was in the mid 90’s, just about the time it seems everyone else starting rolling out special versions of what was their basic CdP (I know Ogier is not CdP)- save for a few producers like Beaucastel’s Hommage.

Jack - understood, but I would say more producers moved to adding “upper end” bottlings after Parker started championing the region and producers saw (and maybe importers asked them to “make” a upper end bottling) the price premium being commanded for highly rated “luxury” cuvee’s.

Chave Cuvee Cathelin was made for Parker. He requested it. I think Bonneau Cuvee Speciale also.

Luxury cuvees of CDP, in general, rose in popularity, with the reviews of Parker.

If Marcoux VV got a bad score, the wine would not sell that well.

From the article itself:

Châteauneuf is always a big wine, but these wines were huge — full of lush, opulent fruit with powerful, jammy flavors.

Personally, I prefer more focused and angular Châteauneufs, like the 2004s, which balance spicy fruit flavors with earthiness, minerality and whiffs of flowers and herbs. Even Châteauneufs that I’ve had from 2003, the heat-wave year in Europe, managed to balance concentrated fruit flavors with the sort of earthy, herbal, leather and tobacco character that I have always enjoyed in Châteauneuf. These came down resoundingly on the side of fruit.

“I’ve never had a vintage like this, so lacking in structure and tannins, and with so much ripe fruit at the expense of minerality and earthiness,” David [Gordon wine director at Tribeca Grill] said. “People will be happy because they are so approachable.”

So far, clear on their take. But this next statement left me scratching my head:

Will they age? Good question.

Vanessa feared that their lack of apparent structure would keep them from aging, > but David believed that their balance would allow them to age well.

I think I would have to side with David on this one
> — I believe they will age, but I don’t know how they will evolve.

So the question is: does Eric A think 07s are unbalanced and fruit bomb like or will they be able to age THANKS TO their balance?

He thinks they will “abide” like The Dude, basically stay the same without turning into hot and disgusting prune juice like many over amped zins do, but that they will not evolve into something more interesting?

Not so simple sir. He appears to be grossly contradicting himself in regards to the wines being balanced.

Jeb, numerous special cuvees have been made to please Parker. Boursan’s Felix is one example. The new cuvees over at Le Clefs d’Or is another example. Do you think it’s a coincidence with Clos St Jean’s special cuvees now that Cambie is there. C’mon now, wake up.

Look at the newest cuvee of Clos St Jean.

Cuvee Centenaire as well.