Anything else like Yuengling?

In my best Lumbergh voice…

Yea, um Doug, you’re gonna wanna move that Bud down to the boiler room, but, ah, um yea leave the Yuengling behind, awwww right. Thanks.

Michael -

YOU live in the ‘Napa Valley’ of craft brewing - and while most of the new world craft brewers are concentrating on over the top ales - there are a good handful of breweries in Colorado brewing hearty lagers and crisp pilsners - my advice is to head to one of the major liquor stores and mix and match a couple 6pks of whatever is available - and I can assure you that you will find something special -

Colorado is an incredible place for craft beers of all kinds - just have to snoop around a bit -

I know and I have sampled many of the local products, but there is nothing like the malted flavor of the Yuengling.
The problem with being “ground central” for craft beer is everyone tries too hard. I have had so many saisons, IPA’s, pumpkin beers, dunkels, etc. Your palate just wears out from all that “flavor”. There is something so refreshing about a good 'ole fashioned lager. The kind of beer my Dad drank 40 years ago not the watered down crap of today.

Good craft breweries also do good lagers, they just don’t have the hype. I would actually recommend finding one of the better craft beer bars near you and talk up the bartender. You’ll get to sample before buying, and it’s much easier to find a well informed bartender than it is a shelf stocker.

[cheers.gif]

Too bad you don’t live in the Willamette Valley. You could have the best! neener

Before we had wide distribution in NY I used to drive to PA to get it. I still love it because it’s just chuggable—not bitter or high ABV and the carbonation doesn’t seem to be high.

I think one of those things that goes into the taste is that many PA beers were made with corn or corn grits. I think that’s the slight sweetness you get.

I’d try to find Leinenkugel Amber, Abita Amber, Brooklyn Lager, those might be somewhat close. Many say the style is like a Vienna lager but I haven’t had many of these; Top Rated Beers: Vienna Lager | BeerAdvocate

I tried a Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager last night. It is not like Yuengling, but it had a crisp, slighty sweeter maltyness to it that was very refreshing. My hunt continues…

Regular Anchor Steam might be closer to the style.

A recent article from the NYT on American Lagers:

I just came across a mention of Sierra Nevada’s Vienna Lager (supposedly a Fall release). I’d be anxious to try that and see if it is somewhat close to Yuengling.

Interesting…
I like Sierra Nevada’s Summerfest.

Found one that is the closest so far.
Batch 19, Pre-Prohibition style lager from Coors. It’s actually a pretty good, amber lager. We may have a winner.

Careful about the pre-prohibition label. I wouldn’t rely on that as any type of stylistic lodestone. Pre-pro beers reportedly were all over the place.

Now for something completely different, to paraphrase Monty Python, try Lake Front Wisconsinite. Great summer weise beer, a smokey treat. Unique.

You might like Anchor Brewing Co. California Lager. Shouldn’t be that hard to find.