Anyone use Uber in Paris? From CDG to city? In the city?

As I just stated in the post above, I agree, cabs are reliable. Reliable in that one can count on being treated inhumanely and gouged with long way routes.

Paris taxis drop the meter when they accept the dispatch, wherever they might be, not when they pick you up…

I do know that and the incident I`m talking about came from a taxi on the corner of our hotel. When he circled the block twice is when I realized we were being taken.

Taxis in Paris suck, and I say that as someone who speaks French fluently and knows Paris pretty well. I haven’t used Uber, but I do use Chauffeur Prive when I’m in Paris. Last time it was 30EU to CDG from my apartment in the 9th near Pigalle. Like Uber, the driver was courteous, the car was clean, and it was a real pleasure.

I’d rather walk barefoot over molten glass than hail a Paris cab.

Wow, this thread has been very enlightening. Guess, I’ll avoid taxis.

We just returned from France and used Uber Van a few times. They used Mercedes vans and they were clean and comfortable for a family of five + luggage. It was great 2/3 of the time.

The only problem was the wait projection when we had to catch the Chunnel. They quoted 10 mins and when it was only down to 8 just 20 mins later, we cancelled and hopped on the Metro so we didn’t miss our train.

oh right! totally forgot about that.

Michel, Im with you on the molten glass walk. Ive had other incidents and really did not even want to get into any on this thread, but one came out [without more astonishing details] and I`m already having to settle down and relax and get over it AND find good alternatives.

We usually take the city buses around town. Easy to use and, except for long journeys, faster than the Metro factoring in walking time. And they are above ground. If you are in a taxi, ask the driver to use gps if you feel that he is riding you around. Most of them use gps all of the time anyway.

Last Oct, it was raining pretty hard the night we ate at Arpege, so I looked at using Uber for the .7 mile ride, which we ordinarily walk. The surge price was €30 and a 20 minute wait. I think the return trip was €6 or €7.

That’s where I was, the app showed him somewhere else, maybe at another terminal pickup?

Chauffeur Prive picked me up, BTW, at CDG, right outside Customs. He was waiting with a sign with my name on it and was polite, well-groomed and quite nice to chat with (even after a 6 hour flight). Depending on where I rent an apartment, I’ll either use them or the AF bus (I usually stay near the Arc de Triomphe or near Pigalle/Montmartre). The RER is fine, but I’m usually there for 5-6 weeks so arriving with big luggage means all the stairs are a hassle once you get to the Metro in Paris itself.

hi

As a french guy (sorry for my english) living in Paris i used uberX several times friday and saturday night and i never had any issues with that service.

the price is 20 % 30 % cheaper than a classic taxi and you wait between 5 and 10 minutes when you use the smartphone application

But UberX drivers are hated by taxi drivers because they believe it’s an unfair competition for us. They have to pay a taxi licence 200000 € and nothing for uberx drivers ( I don’t know if it’s the same problem in US)

If i can provide little advises avoid to use taxi or uber during the day and take rather the subway ! The traffic can be terrible and anarchic particular in place de l’étoile or in the great shop district due to buses full of tourists. After 8 pm it’s okai.

Last thing , the law about Uber is changing know and the situation could be different this summer.

If you want some advises for Paris you can PM me

Thx

Thanks Thomas for the info!!

+1

We have the same issue with too much luggage. Prive would appear to be a great alternative and I`ll definitely consider using this service. Thanks

I can second this comment.

At GDN, you grab your Uber right around the corner from the taxi stand and use the same exit. You have to say no to both cabbies and unlicensed cabs across the street a bunch on your way to be picked up. One cabbie commented that it was great for me that I am using his competition. I didn’t need Eric Levine’s translator to pick up the French sarcasm.

My daughter wanted to use Uber in Paris but once she was out of the apartment, there wasn’t any Wi-Fi so no communication with the driver. She had to use a taxi instead. She doesn’t use cell service when she is out of the U.S. because of the expense so that wasn’t an option.

This is a really good point as I have the same issue. G7 may be the answer unless I change my plan for the month we are in Europe.

T-Mobile’s international plan is awesome if you travel a lot, I was calling the US while walking through the streets of Paris and Google mapping the location of the wine bar I was going to (Cave a Michel). It also allowed me to talk/text with my Chauffeur Prive driver when my flight landed a tad late and I had to wait for luggage.

Great! My carrier is T-Mobile so off I go to get er done.