Anyone Have a Super Marinated Steak Recipe?

Ummmm…OK

I don’t think anyone here has addressed why the marinade didn’t make it into the meat. In my opinion the only thing that keeps that from happening is salt content. For difficult cuts of meat it is much like brine, if the concentration is not strong enough you won’t get transfer into the meat. One key to this is using sugar judiciously so it still aids the marinade process without making the meat too salty or too sweet. No combination of ingredients is the magic bullet, you just need to get the electrolyte balance right so the meat absorbs it. Osmosis is the fundamental.

LOL. Take it easy Benji. This is a very tough neighborhood. I can’t back you up very much.

Now as for the hanger steak …

I buy mine whole and trim them out myself. It’s a little labor intensive, but it’s no big deal when you’ve done a coupala thousand pounds or so. I toss them in a big bowl and splash them with both olive oil and worcestershire sauce. I know someone will say this is off the reservation, but I use a combination of 1 teaspoon each Weber Chicago Steak and Veggie Grill Seasonings. I roll the meat around for a minute spreading everything all around and then let it sit while I do the other stuff (+/- 15 minutes).

In about 5 minutes my grill gets screaming hot with a nice grill-plate on the rails. I sear the steak s for 5 minutes on the first side then turn the gas to low for 2 more rounds of 4 minutes each. I let it rest another 5 minutes and then cut it into medallions. It’s important to look for and cut against the grain. On a hanger steak the grain runs angularly away from the steel belt that has been trimmed from it’s middle. It’s easy to screw up the direction and cut with this grain.

I told you about that steel belt running through the middle. I like to scrap any meat off that w/ the edge of the knife blade. I get maybe an ounce of meat. I sear that up w/ a grated shallot and clove of garlic, then throw in any/all juices from the plate from before and after slicing, add a splash of bourbon and a glob of butter, return to heat for a minute and voila, a very nice jus. I serve this up w/ whatever side is at hand.

* … To maybe answer that last question a little bit, and this is by no means gospel, just an educated opinion, kinda like a hypothesis of sorts, some people think/believe that maybe marinates/marinades (?) don’t get into the meat is because of the addition of oil. The oil seals up the pours of the meat and stops other things from getting in. I’m not sayin’, I’m just sayin’. That’s just a guess.

I used this on a 2 lb. hanger steak last night - 1 lemon zested and juiced, 3-4 garlic cloves finely chopped, chopped rosemary (1-2 sprigs), about 4 tbl. dijon mustard. Mixed and marinated for about 3 hours. The lemon zest and juice gave it a nice kick. Well reviewed by both kids and adults. And paired well with an '01 Pride Reserve Cab :slight_smile:

Ok, I have no official decision on this yet (although it taste delicious when dipping your finger in it). I used an extremely shitty cut of meat…I mean this was a piece of shoe leather. It did not take on the marinade, and I actually could not eat this and fed it to my friends dog!! I split a cow with some friends about 8 months ago and this literally has been the worst cut of meat from the entire cow so far. I will try the marinade again with a resaonable piece of meat. Like I said it tastes delicioius when mixed together.

I can’t tell if this is tongue in cheek or not, but I’ve used a variation of this many times, mostly on hanger and flank. It’s not rocket surgery here: good soy, acid, and oil as the base, and then make it your own. I’ve substituted orange juice when I didn’t have fresh limes, and added a little fresh ginger when I’ve had it. Always a healthy squeeze of Siracha…always.

Doing a marinated Heartbrand Akaushi Inside Skirt steak tonight.

1/4 Cup Lime Juice
1/4 Cup Soy
1/4 Cup Garlic Infused EVOO
2 TBS Sriracha
1 TBS Telicherry Pepper

1 hour marinade and then oak hardwood charcoal for a couple minutes per side.

Pics or it didn’t happen!

This! Did 1/2 and 1/2 this marinade and half 24 hrs with wishbone Italian dressing as mentioned, with a flannery flank, and they were not even close.

For skirt steak marinade I use the following (not measured) combo:

Peter Luger steak sauce
Soy Vay Island Teriyaki
A little orange juice
Garlic-chopped or minced.

Per lb of skirt steak make a paste of:
1Tbsp Gr Cumin
1/2Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1/2Tsp Salt
2Cloves Garlic, pressed
Juice of 1 Lime

Or double the lime to make it a marinade. 1-3hrs

We use it for tacos and top it with a mixture of 1/2C Salsa Verde, 1 diced Avocado and some fresh Cilantro

My friends, toss in some fish sauce, really amps up the flavor in the asian marinades.

This. Don’t get cheap stuff either. Only buy fish sauce that has two ingredients: anchovies and sea salt. We use Red Boat Brand

I absolutely grew up on this. Love it. We called it Chateaubriand. I think the name started as a joke, but we kids didn’t know any better- it wasn’t until much later that I learned what real chateaubriand was.

Try it with fresh Tuna steaks then grill!

Good idea! I do use for chicken breast once in a while, but hadn’t thought about tuna.

Some ingredients in preserved (bottled) dressings make me ill. Not sure what it is, but fresh garlic, balsamic, and extra virgin olive oil will serve you well. And I don’t get sick!

Flank Steak that is a big hit when I serve it:

Marinate:
1/2 cup lite soy sauce
1 large clove of garlic minced
1 teaspoon ginger
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon minced onion
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Put in large zip lock bag and put steak in,
let sit for two or three days.(Turn bag at least
once a day)

Grill as desired… i tend to use a hot grill for only 2-3 minutes per side, then let it rest before slicing.

Thanks, I found it, and will get some, though I may look local before buying it here.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Boat-Premium-Fish-Sauce/dp/B00B617XK2/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1490208491&sr=1-1&keywords=fish%2Bsauce&th=1

I found it locally for $7