Anyone been to Paris lately?

Peter,

Where all did you eat. I am looking for recommendations for reasonably priced restaurants. I’ll be staying near Comptoir, and may try L’Avant Comptoir, but I am frankly not interested in 3 start places.

Totally by chance, we had a great meal at Restaurant AG (just across the street from the Marché St Germain, on the side towards Blvd. St. Germain). It wasn’t full at all (this was a weekday night), we just walked in. I had haddock with “palourdes” (not sure what that is in English, tiny little clams) that was just fabulous, wonderful flavor contrast. Café de la Nouvelle Marie, Place de l’Estrapade is very informal, small with very good/excellent food and a nice list of wines, mostly bio IIRC. That was pretty crowded, we reserved (but only a day or two ahead). You can go for either lunch or dinner. It tends to be full of academics, due to the location. Café Trama, r. M. Le Prince is similar re food, but full of thirty somethings and I don’t know if they do lunch. If you’re over by the metro Maubert-Mutualité, Le Village Ronsard (I guess it’s a brasserie, not sure) is very good as well. Had a very nice lunch with a fish dish, I asked for a wine that would go with it, and they gave me a very good Chard, must have been Burgundy. On Saturday am (and another morning, maybe Tuesday) there is Marché Maubert just across the street, fun to browse, and the bakery next door makes excellent croissants.

We were there end of March for 4 days and everywhere we went was packed - so go figure.
Dinner Bistro Paul Bert, La Cagouillle and Passage 53. Lunch at David Toutain wasn’t full but it was a crappy, rainy day. Most wine bars we hit up were packed as well except Willis but we were there at an off time.

We did Airbnb an apartment and were in a very quiet area of the 3rd but it seemed like life as normal to us. We did avoid the big tourist areas mainly because we have done that and don’t like crowds. Quite a few of our friends have been in the last few months as well and others are going shortly.

I say pack it up and head over the Pond and support our friends in the City of Light!

Thanks.

Restaurant L’AG is 2 blocks from our airbnb, so we’ll definitely have to try that one.

We are leaving for Tuscany next week. We’ll be there for four days or so and then we hit Paris. All of our dinners are set up- leaving lunch open for now. From what I’ve read here and elsewhere, and with few exceptions, most places should be easy to walk into it seems.

You’re welcome! BTW there is a pastry place to die for–Gerard Mulot, corner of r. Lobineau and r. de Seine. Haven’t been there in a while, but it’s an institution. They may have small sandwiches as well, but primarily it’s for sweets. Very high quality.

I got three bottles of Burgundy from Ambassade de Bourgogne, 6 r. de l’Odéon (just up the street from Le Comptoir). The first one was really good! It’s a pretty new place. They do tastings as well, I’d think that would be worth going to if your up for that kind of thing. There is a young woman from NZ who served us (I didn’t get her name) who was very nice and had some good recs (well OK, at least one good rec, haven’t drunk the other two yet!).

Did you like Passage 53? We were (sadly) very disappointed. Basically, none of the flavor combinations worked for me, I found them all uninteresting. No problem with quality or careful preparation, but I just didn’t think the flavors enhanced each other.

That’s the spirit! Don’t let those guys win, they want us to be scared.

Passage 53 was stunningly perfect for me. You didn’t think the onion and iberico was a good combo?

If you’re there for lunch be sure to get the bone marrow with lardo foam. The salad of petit pois was also very good.

If you change your mind about 3 star places lunch at l’Arpege was, for the second time, one of the best meals of my life.

I don’t know what the wait time is at lunch these days at L’Avant Comptoir but it’s always been well worth any wait we’ve had before.

The Family (Myself, Wife, 11 & 9 y/o) is off to Europe (5 days in Paris) in June. Any suggestions for family friendly dinning in Paris? We are staying in the 7th District. Thanks in advance!

La Fontaine du Mars is a good family-friendly restaurant in the 7th.

http://www.fontainedemars.com/

You can also try one of the Christian Constant in the 7th. Le Cocotte and Café Constant are 2 where I’ve seen large family-gatherings.

I had lunch at L’Avant Comptoir (I guess that’s the right name, the one right on the street, small place, some tables on sidewalk, now there is a seafood one right next to it with IIRC counter space only) about a year ago. Very good indeed!

Thanks Ramon!

Barry, as best I can remember they didn’t serve that. We were there for lunch and had the tasting menu, lots of courses (about a dozen). What hit me was that NONE of them worked. Not that they were bad, or poorly prepared, it was that the flavors just didn’t enhance each other. I’ll write a more detailed report before long, but that is the main conclusion for me.

Hi Paris experts–now I’m confused. Is there a difference between Comptoir du Relais and L’Avant Comptoir? They seem to have slightly different addresses, but that’s Google maps and it’s not always so accurate. The one I went to is very small (maybe 8 tables inside) and right on the street, and the seafood one is right next to it.

Yes, they are different. One is a bistrot, and the other more of a wine bar with food. They are right around the corner from each other. I am not aware of one being seafood themed, but I have mostly been to Le Comptoir du Relais.

Thanks, Sarah! The seafood one is L’Avant Comptoir de la Mer, it’s very new (about a year) and right next to L’Avant Comptoir on the Bl St Germaine side. Haven’t been there but I believe it’s small bites only with few if any tables, i.e. you sit at the bar.

Any recent experiences with John Talbott’s top 10? John Talbott's Paris: John's Top Ten

Gerard Mulot is indeed the best place we found for confections and sweets and pastries. We will be going back there for sure. We have all of our dinner reservations lined up for the end of this month and I can’t wait to get back there. Some of the best food we ever had while traveling was in Paris. I would highly recommend Chez Ferdinand and Bistrotters. Fantastic.