Anybody drinking vintage Port ?

We had a 2000 Gould Campbell recently which was lovely in a mellow kind of way.

We’ll be opening a 2007 Quinto do Noval sometime this week. It is a baby but I was so impressed with it on release I got a case so plenty to cellar. There were many wonderful things going on in this bottle at the time. I’m looking forward to checking on it again.

I’ve always loved the old paper labels Niepoort used around that time period. Thanks

As for the Pocas 1970. I’ve not had that particuar vintage in what is probably close to 10 years now. It was a bit simple and young back then, from what I remember. With the additional cask age on it (given it’s a recent bottling) i hope its gained a bit of complexity and shed some of the youthfulness.

Is this a new release or a bottle you’ve had for some time?

Popped it open early. The color is gorgeous: light golden brown. The nose it pretty. The sweetness is balanced and there is a nice orange peel acid lift. Simple at first but after an hour the caramel comes out. Not much in terms of spice and complexity but very, very pretty and purchased 2 more based on 1 hour results.

Currently drinking an 86 SWH Colheita. Been open for a couple of weeks but still lovely.

Andy the Pochas was bottled in 2002. I think I have had it maybe 2 years. I was born in 70 and its my only Colheita from that year. Haven’t come across too many Colheita’s from 70 ever for sale. Certainly entertain them when I do.

Popped a 1994 Warre’s tonight. Yikes. Tons of black fruit but oh so young.

Just stood upright a bottle of 83 Graham for New Years.

Nobody with Fonseca 1977 experience [winner.gif]

Quite a bit of experience with it. What would you like to know? [cheers.gif]

There aren’t many available from 1970. Usually the case when a “Classic Declaration” is made, as 1970 was.

And 2002 is probably the last time I had the 1970 Pocas. Glad to see my memory isn’t totally fading LOL

So often it’s just me, so I open tawnies or LBV Ports. Got a '91 Dow for Christmas though, so may have to break down soon.

Had a 1952 Graham’s Diamond Jubilee Colheita with Christmas Pudding Very special stuff

So, the 2007 Quinta do Noval is multifaceted, lively, and insanely delicious. I cannot imagine what it will be like as it matures.

All you can tell me Andy [cheers.gif]
Fortunatly I have a unopened case of this wine in my cellar.
At cellartracker one can read very different P.N. I am very interested what you think

best regards

Yes, this is the best Tawny I’ve had from the Symington family. Truly special stuff.

From the time I started having cask samples this clearly stood out as my favorite, and still is. This is an amazing VP and I can’t wait to chart it’s aging progress…though it will outlive me my lots.

Harry,

the 1977 Fonseca is a wonderful bottle, when it shows as it should. The issue being, like the 1977 Taylor’s, there is a large amount of bottle variation in them. That is why you see such diverse tasting notes on it. It has nothing to do with storage. As even bottles which have been opened in their own tasting room, from their own library stock, have shown significant bottle variations. Even the Fladgate Partnership’s CEO has stated there is bottle variation issues with both of these houses in 1977.

The major reason, which has affected many late 1970’s to early 1980’s VP’s was problem corks. These cork issues have led to significant problems with bottle variation and TCA (1977 Dow’s and 1983 Cockburn being famous for serious TCA issues).

I bought a lot of this for my daughters birth year…a much better choice than anything else IMHO.

the 1977 Fonseca is a wonderful bottle, when it shows as it should. The issue being, like the 1977 Taylor’s, there is a large amount of bottle variation in them. That is why you see such diverse tasting notes on it. It has nothing to do with storage. As even bottles which have been opened in their own tasting room, from their own library stock, have shown significant bottle variations. Even the Fladgate Partnership’s CEO has stated there is bottle variation issues with both of these houses in 1977.

The major reason, which has affected many late 1970’s to early 1980’s VP’s was problem corks. These cork issues have led to significant problems with bottle variation and TCA (1977 Dow’s and 1983 Cockburn being famous for serious TCA issues).[/quote]

Thank you Andy,

Find it rather strange such a great bottle variation.
The proof off the pudding etc. so very soon I will crack my case [cheers.gif] and hope for the best.

Harry

Harry,

As Andy mentioned, the 77 Fonseca, when you have the right bottle, is off the charts. Fantastic stuff, when not, its ok and makes you scratch your head, expecting, no wanting more. Had the same experience with 1970 Fonseca this year. One was out of this world and made my hall of fame wall at our cabin (there are about 20-30 empty bottles on a shelf across our kitchen, to get added, the bottle has to be better then one on the shelf, no small feet at this point), the other was just ok.