Any recommendations on Olive Oil - NOT Extra Virgin

I did a quick search and looks like Rice Bran Oil is pretty high in PUFA at 37%, almost all of which is Omega-6. That’s much higher than I would look for - below 20% is a good rule of thumb for me.

So whew! I don’t have to throw another into the mix.

This is the trick my mom always used and tought me.

Sarah, unless I’m missing something, it seems like you have two good options to look for. Sherri’s suggestion of Kirkland brand, which you can get at Costco. Or the brand we use in our house, which I’ve found at nearly every supermarket I’ve looked in NYC as well as NYC bodegas and online.

Yacobov - I’m not sure why you feel the need to reiterate these two. I read them the first time. I am still curious to hear more. Why does having two suggestions mean the discussion should end?

As it happens, Berio is not a brand I feel comfortable using. Their EVOO has been one of the commercial brands implicated as not meeting standards, and I find the taste to be unpleasant. I felt it would be unnecessarily rude, though, to mention this in response to your suggestion; but since you seem to want an acknowledgment, those are my reasons for not considering it a good option for me.

I have made a note of the Kirkland, though, and will see if it’s available somewhere other than Costco. We don’t have easy access to Costco. And I am still interested to hear more.

Meant nothing by it, was just making sure you saw them since a majority of the other suggestions you’ve been responding to have been about other oils entirely. I actually appreciate you raising the issues with Berio and their EVOO – that’s something I’m going to look into now. I don’t consider saying that in the first place to be rude at all and appreciate this board because of the plethora of knowledge that I otherwise would not have access to. However, your follow-up response did feel a little unnecessarily sharp elbowed…

Sharp elbows in response to what sounded a lot like talking down or criticism that I didn’t respond in the right way. Of course I saw those - hard to miss that enormous bright yellow Kirkland bottle - I just didn’t have anything to say about them. The ensuing discussion of PUFA, sparked by Paul’s question about peanut or avocado oil, however, was interesting to me. Apologies if I mistook.

I’d be very interested in some hard data on smoke point differences between various kinds of olive oil. Quick google search shows huge differences between different “kinds” of extra virgin olive oils, e.g. “high quality” vs something else. It’s a little fuzzy to me.

It’s a good article Yaacov, although not showing how to select between an extra virgin oil with 320 degree smoke point and some other extra virgin oil at 405 degrees (e.g. Smoke point - Wikipedia). For instance I use my “everyday” oil to roast vegetables at 450F to a deep brown and never get smoke or off flavors, but I’ve had problems with others. It suggests that more secondary flavors and colors in better oils are more susceptible to heat damage, so possible a “lighter” extra virgin oil like this is less susceptible.

Stan, you ever try roasting vegetables dry then dressing? I prefer the flavors that way.

Are Kirkland items ever available outside of Costco? My understanding is that Kirkland is Costco’s house brand and this exclusive to them. I may have that wrong though.

roasting veggies in an oven set to 450F does not result in your oil (or veggies) reaching 450F.

No clue. I’ve never been inside a Costco and hadn’t heard of Kirkland before this thread.

they are not.

You can buy Kirkland through Amazon. Undoubtedly comes from Costco, but allows you to skip the Costco experience.

-Al

Quite true; my point is that for a spectrum of high-heat applications, if the highest is searing meat or fish in a heavy pan where any kind of olive oil I’ve used would be inappropriate, for this second-highest case (high temp roasting for extended time) I’ve had success with certain extra-virgin oils and problems with others. Additionally, this discussion led me to some initially-surprising though spotty data about huge differences in smoke point between various types of extra virgin olive oil. It seemed relevant to the discussion.

A lot if commercial kitchens use an 80/20 or 90/10 blend of canola and olive.

Yes, and that’s one of the main reasons we’re all drowning in PUFA and with very high omega-6 to 3 ratios. Unless you cook your food and choose your own fats/oils, you’re likely taking in a ton of PUFA. Whether that troubles you or not is another matter.

If it doesn’t trouble you, does that mean your arteries have already hardened to a point that brain function is impaired? :wink:

sorry, impossible to resisit

Yep, I got this on Amazon.
image.jpeg