Any Avios Experts Out There

Folks…Still sitting on the same stash of 54k Avios miles and with upcoming devaluation and no upcoming trips it doesn’t look like I be maximizing their value. For grins, I just checked some flights between Nashville and a handful of cities that I know AA flies to and I was lucky if I found an option or two within 2-3 days of when I wanted to depart and return. Bottom line…no more Avios miles for me.

If there is someone out there that can benefit from these, please PM and perhaps we can work something out.

But don’t forget, you can use British Airways Avios points to fly on One World Alliance carriers. Even if you don’t have a need today, what about tomorrow. We just planned a spur of the moment trip to CUN (Cancun) using Avios to fly AA on the non-stop from JFK. That was 20,000 points per ticket vs the 35,000 AA charges. I’ve sat on my stash for a couple of years, wondering if I’d ever use those points; and suddenly a need presented itself.
You can fly intra-Europ/Asia/Alaska on the cheap. Don’t be in such a hurry to unload your points.

dh

Upcoming devaluation?

April, I believe. I also believe it only involves short haul flights in the US. The remainder of their award charts are unchanged.

I had no problem booking Male to Colombo for 4500 or Helsinki - Copenhagen inBiz for 9000. How far ahead are you looking? The issue is more likely AA being stingy than BA

This refers to using BA Avios on shorthaul on AA in the US. The 4500 point (for 1 way) redemption is disappearing. The lowest rate will be 7500 Avios for shorthaul on AA domestic.

Ok thanks. I guess I missed it based on personal relevancy.

Dan…I have two “issues” that are impacting my usage of my Avios points stash in the manner you described. One, I have zero plans for international travel in probably the next year or two at a minimum (two kids at home and other trips/commitments taking priority). Second, and perhaps more relevant, is that Nashville does not have the same number of flights and destination opportunities as certainly a JFK or other major market with One World Alliance carriers; as such, the award schedules are just too rigid.

Perhaps I can trade them in for gift cards…?

You can use Avios points on car rentals and hotels. I’m not sure about the value. You’d have to check.

Just for fun, I checked the Hyatt Andaz this Saturday on Wall Street in NYC. Cost is $203 on the Hyatt website, or 27,050 Avios.
The Doubletree in the Wall St area is $96 or 13,650 Avios points.

Based on the math (2 cents per points), these are not good redemptions.

Adam,

I’m going to shoot a hole in two of your “issues”. I’m not sure how old your kids are, but we took the plunge when our two were 6 and 8 and headed to Europe (on BA business class, coincidentally, using Alaska miles) and had a fantastic time. I live in Boise, which certainly isn’t more convenient than Nashville in terms of flights and destination opportunities. Using miles for travel for a family of four from Boise (or Nashville) requires more flexibility and creativity, but it is manageable*…

*And worthwhile. [cheers.gif]

Adam, if you have earned any TravelTogether vouchers, you could get a 2nd ticket for free (just have to pay taxes and surcharges, which are on the high side) in the same class when you redeem Avios for any flight that goes to/through London. It’s an outstanding deal if you have enough Avios to redeem for Business or First class. 54K unfortunately isn’t enough.