Anova Sous Vide - PSA

ha just ask about a protein/veggie and I’ve probably tried it. I’ve been taking notes, but it’s really informal (on a google doc) and it’s pretty scatter brained. Also a mix of non sous vide notes as well

The Baldwin sous-vide book is a good reference for times/temps. Website has good information as well, but worth the $15-$20 for the book.

Just bought one… no idea of what to do with it first…

pork chops. can’t go wrong with pork chops.

i think the method really shines with a braise-type application. chuck roast, shortribs, pork shoulder, etc.

or you can do a top round roast to medium rare, chill, and slice thin for a sandwich meat type of application

so much truth.

And eggs. So many eggs

And chicken. No more wifey complaining about undercooked poultry.

I guess they extended past 9/3- I just got one. 50 off, free shipping…same FACEBOOK50 discount code

OK sous vide guys…mine is on its way. Question- food sealers? Huge range of prices from the 30 for a basic food saver one to…well goes up from there. Any suggestions?

Merci!

How much are you willing to spend? The basic $80 food saver works fine for dry stuff but for marinades you’ll have to go higher. Then most of my friends with chamber sealers swear by em.

Charlie- thanks. I don’t want to spend 200 on a sealer. I did see a recipe for short ribs that called for a 72 hour cook…not sure the ziplock would work for this type of application??

ziplock, based on my reading, is only for short cooks. you need a food saver for longer cooks or a vacu chamber for long cooks with liquids/sauces in the bag.

if one uses ziploc/glad “freezer” bags, which has the double seal, you’ll be fine even for long cooks.

Why would the bag type determine the length of cooking?

Discount code seems officially dead for anyone else interested.

got mine. Haven’t used it yet . . .

it’s not the bag as much as the amount of air and the quality of the vacuum. if you’re throwing something in for a few hrs, it should be fine even if it’s not optimally sealed. 72 hr shortrib? not as much.

Still not sure why having small air pockets would be more detrimental on a really long cook. My intuition says the opposite because air is a lot less thermally conductive than water.

Air bubbles are not good but that doesn’t rule out ziplocks, search Douglas Baldwin and sous vide for some good info. Whatever you do don’t rely on intuition.

As i understand, air is conducive to bacterial growth, a risk at lower temps and longer cook times. A vacuum is more sterile, and hence recommended.