An out of season WB Charity Challenge

I figured that I would save Cayuse for the next time I get pissed off at a news report.

How about if we make this week #2. I will do the managing. The rule on yours will be cork must be pulled on or after 12:00:01 on 5/15/2017 and THOUGHTFUL note must be posted on or before 5/21/2017 at 11:59:59 pm - just to give it a week. If another intrepid soul wants to take the next week through Memorial Day, that works too.

December?

Are those times GMT, Jay? Where are the Jets that week? Will there be a tailgate event with extra contribution opportunity (just a thought for an offline, not that I would make it)?

fred

Ok, one note for you Jay.
SQN Non Raven Syrah 2006 served blind: horrible.

That does not qualify as a tasting note. Why was it horrible? Was it horribler than other SQNs than you have had? Was it the horriblest SQN that you have had? Have you ever had an SQN that you liked? Ok, ignore the
Last question. We know the answer.

oops, wrong month. I meant 5/15 to 5/21. I will correct and check with Merrill.

You didn’t put rules in about the length, quality and epistemological status. I think it is a great tasting note, as it shows my opinion of the wine very succinctly, and offends as few lovers of SQN as possible. I will PM you a more complete note.

Got it. Figured that. No one needs to feel intimidated about writing a note. Not at all. But an impression…can even be how one feels about price versus pleasure. I’ve been in this long enough to know that one person’s red fruit is another’s black fruit. Real question is how is the fruit? Does it please you? How does it smell? Does it taste like it smells? This is not to talk down to anyone, but I know there are a whole bunch of people who are hesitant to write a note because they do not feel adept enough.

A bunch of people have received BerserkerDay orders. I suggest a 2 or more hour decant, if you can. You can’t have it in the decanter too long, in my opinion.

That’s never stopped me. My notes are for my benefit. If you’re someone that can read between the lines and interpret my note, then bully for you the reader. [wink.gif]

Perhaps I should get less “busy” and pay attention closer to home. Jay, let me know what you think. At least I could see where the money goes.

From our town’s website:

$83.2% of our town’s (Calistoga - that place everyone likes to visit!) children in grades k-12 qualify for free or reduced-fee lunch. That is 130% above the average federal poverty level. I knew this, but confirming it online brings it closer to home.

Our “in need” residents work. They tend our vineyards and properties, clean our hotel rooms, and bus tables at restaurants they could not dream of eating at.

havent had too many lately, except last night. Have half the bottle in fridge for tonight. Maybe we’ll post a picture tonight.

2016 Liquid Farm Mourvedre Rosé Vogelzang - 5/9/2017

Orangish color, beautiful light red fruit, melon, hay and very light brown apple nose. Medium body, moderate acidity giving solid structure. Nice fruit with strawberry, some light oxidative taste with good minerality. Balanced and quite nice, best at cellar temp. Great with food. 90

Ok Jay. I’m in. I’m watching NHL Game 7 action tonight, as my team has the second game against Edmonton. god, I want to see us win. In that vein, I opened up a wine that I thought would create for me some karma, a wine that I have had several times since release way back in 2007. And, since I dig the idea of giving back and your inspiration here, I have posted one of the rare times I have taken a selfie. The Dr Mrs is out of town and I wanted to post this note, so gulp, I took the photo. [swoon.gif]

Thanks for leading through generosity, Mr Hack. And to Mr Ed Kurtzman, who frequents the Board here, for making a really lovely of aged CA syrah that is cruising right along.

• 2005 Sandler Wine Company Syrah Connell Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley (5/10/2017)
    Opened to enjoy through both Game 7s tonight of the NHL playoffs. I bought this bottle back in 2006 and it’s one of the oldest wines I have owned from purchase to uncorking, from way back in 2006. I gave this 2 hours of slow ox time before I poured the first glass. A diverse, beautiful mix of aromatics here, driven from the age and also the whole cluster that Ed used. BBQ smoke, bacon fat, pepper, menthol, spice, all mixing for something really unique. The palate, at least at this level of aeration, is pretty accessible. Moderately plush and pretty smooth drinking. The flavors? Much like the aromatic, lots of diversity and things going on. BBQ sauce, soy, licorice, plenty of tangy cherry and raspberry holding it all together. The finish remains alive, juicy, tangy, with a cool, menthol closing note. My last note on this was 2015, when Ed came down for an August West/Sandler dinner we hosted for him. Based on that 2015 note and this bottle, the wine is aging slowly and gracefully. What a pleasure.

Posted from CellarTracker
20170510_171240.jpg

Tasting before drinking tonight, so the bottle can be right-side-up…

2001 Ridge Lytton Estate Grenache (ATP)
Medium red color with thinning at the edges. Leather, herbs, and red currant fruit on the nose. Slightly stewed pruney notes on the palate with leather, heat, barrel tannins and more heat dominating through the long (sadly), hot finish. Not a wine to taste, but rather to drink at this point, with food, preferably. Reminds me of some 2003 Burgundies that got out of control or really hot year Nebbiolo. Heading into the fridge for some old cheddar (aging by Tillamook Creamery, not me). A rare miss for me from Ridge.

Postscript on the Alesia from yesterday…really came together nicely overnight and was a very pleasant day two sip tonight before I went in for the Ridge. Let’s hope the Ridge finds some redemption overnight…

Onward!
fred
01RidgeLyttonGrenache.JPG

2015 Bonny Doon Cigare Alt E:

77% mourvèdre, 16% grenache, 5% cinsaut, 2% syrah

Purple to edge of glass, black currants on nose, silky well-integrated tannins, nice wine! Ready to go.

Novy Judge.jpg
2007 Novy Judge Syrah. PnP. Strong smoky, floral nose. Medium weight palate with black fruits, smoked meats and herbs. Drinking really well with plenty of life ahead of it.

Am unable to play, given zero access to CA Rhone (ironically, I have a couple bottles of Cayuse that I brought over for dinner gifts), but I’m hooked on anything coming out of the Rhone Valley now and will post a note, regardless. Closest I can come to the original ask is a Russian River 25 Year Barrel Tasting Anniversary glass that made it over in a box that was supposed to go to storage.

2015 Yann Chave Crozes Hermitage “Le Rouvre” - infanticide at its finest, but at 24 euros, I’m not hating myself for it. till very tannic after 30 mins in a decanter, it has a dark, garnet color with vanilla and blueberry/blackberry with white pepper. This needs two or three more years to settle down, but was still fun to drink tonight.
IMG_0745.JPG

Drew,

Good to see you posting and I see you’re in Paris now. Good on.

Tonight’s installment…Ridge redemption

First, a postscript on last night’s 2001 Ridge…tannins smoothed out a bit, but still a bit coarse and showing the roasted/gritty character that I identify as sunburned/overripe. Better tonight, but still a bummer.

Tonight’s wine was a grab for a Ridge redemption
2012 Ridge Lytton Estate Syrah/Grenache (50/50 blend)
Mild nose of raspberry, milk chocolate and a bit of herb. Palate has a grippy tannic hit with grape, leather, licorice, and a spice-heat finish that is long with the heat carrying longer than I’d like. Better than the 2001 Grenache, but still on the unbalanced side and a wine that I’m unsure will improve for my tastes. My other bottle will go on the rack for awhile (probably).

Finale to come…something SQN so that I can locate myself between Jay and Golodetz in the battle royale.

Cheers,
fred
12RidgeLyttonSyrGren.JPG

I will add another note.
I bought this in order to add to the discussion.
Rice-a-rhone.
IMG_1722.JPG
Domaine Charvin. Cotes du Rhone. A nice enjoyable wine, and at $20, a good value.

2015 Domaine Charvin Côtes du Rhône (Le Poutet) - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (5/10/2017)
Pop and pour and tasted without food and followed for about 3 hours.
This is a blend of 81% Grenache, 7% Mourvèdre, 5% Carignan, 7% Syrah. Nose is initially feral and gamey but that blows off to express some red berries, rose petals, and fresh soil. Nice blend showing red fruits, black pepper and some licorice root. Savory beef bouillon notes as well. Good acidity to keep things fresh. Leans towards the earthy and savory side but with a nice fruit backbone. Enjoyable.

Drew, Good to see you posting and I see you’re in Paris now. Good on.

How in the hell did I miss the name, upside-down photo combo?!? It’s been 10 years!!! Great to see your name pop again. Will catch-up on PM, but if anything… Jay, thanks for the in-thread reunion!