Alpine purchased by Green Flash

Worst case scenario is we’re forced to drink some of all the other world-class IPAs coming out of CA. Best case scenario is it will be a whole lot easier to get Alpine brews that are just as good as they’ve always been.

Neither scenario is really all that bad. [drinkers.gif]

Alpine is 30-40 minutes from your office. -_-

Only if you feel other IPAs are as good. Can you mention other local IPAs that are made in that perfectly balanced style? Most other IPAs are higher in IBU and/or higher in alcohol without being more complex, IMHO.

like i said to Fu, maybe we’ll start getting old Alpine bottles in Chicago just like all the old Green Flash bottles we get already.

I’d take a Hopslam over anything either of those breweries have to offer. [cheers.gif] Sorry, I was thinking Bell’s was in Chicago, but I believe you have access to them.

Really? I think Hopslam is terrible. I hate getting it as extras in trades. Alpine Nelson blows it away and everything GF makes. I do agree with you on Surly Abrasive. Great beer. One of my favorite IPAs ever.

Agree with you 100% Joe, can’t do Hopslam either.

Cheers,

Bud

I never heard anyone say they did not like Hopslam before.

Cheers!

You are largely dealing with West Coast style IPA heads here John. We do not abide sweetness in our IPAs. I think Hopslam is brewed with honey and plenty of malts to boot, pushing 10% ABV. If it is huge, sweet, and/or overtly bitter I am probably not going to like it. Give me an aromatic, juicy, lightly malted IPA and I am happy.

That’s cool. I’ve had my fair share of West Coast IPA/DIPAs before. [cheers.gif] They are my favorite also, I love the hoppy stuff. Barleywines and American Strong Ales are also my favorite brews. Has anyone on this board had some Masala Mama before? What did you think of that one?

Cheers!

Still to this day, but do not pursue it like I did a few years back, is to try as many new brew’s I can in my life.

Cheers!

That is a good point, Peter, although I view the CA IPA market as bursting with riches. If my absolute favorite IPA was suddenly taken out of the market, would I be bummed? Absolutely! But there’s so many other IPAs out here I love that I’d get over it pretty quick.

re: other local IPAs that are perfectly balanced, the following are “perfectly balanced” in my book; I consider each of them to be just as good as Alpine’s “Nelson” (7%abv):

Pizza Port’s “Swami’s” (6.8%)
Beachwood (there’s one, in particular, that I thought was definitely Nelson’s equal, if not better ---- Bud might remember - it was the one from last Nov. and it was made with an experimental hop … I think it was 7.1%’ I’d nominate their “Melrose” (7.1%), as well)
Racer 5 (7.5%)
Three Weavers “Expatriate” (6.9%)
Sculpin (7%)
Port - Wipeout (7.5%)
Societe - Dandy (6.2%)

To be clear, I do consider Alpine’s “Nelson” to be one of the absolute best IPAs going right now. I just think they have a lot of company in that upper upper tier.

Brian, thanks. I do know those ipas you mention. Some are to me better than others and none have the unique balance. But I know that’s just a personal preference.
I’n hoping for the best, but as you might guess I am happy to swig Saisons so I’ll survive.

Stopped in today to grab some goodies and bottles. Really glad to get growler fills of the Obriens DIPA brewed for SDBW. There was a noticeable upbeat vibe in the pub and brewery today and there was a couple interviews being conducted while I was there. It seemed anyone who is a craft beer advocate was talking about the GF/Alpine merger today everywhere I went, I was actually blown away at our team meeting tonight when in addition to the usual wine and apps we provide I offered up a growler of fresh Nelson when two of our designers shocked me by asking me if I had heard that GF had acquired Alpine, never knew these gals were Alpine fanatics, love em even more !

Cheers,

Bud

I hear ya’, Peter — I’m wishing for the best, too!

Bud, that’s simply awesome.

:slight_smile:

From what I gathered yesterday is that Alpine will continue to brew business as usual at the tiny brewery in Alpine. As Pat said, just relax, the GF business model is for long term growth/expansion. Sounds like a new brewery will happen up in Alpine at sometime as well as well as the new pub/eatery in downtown Alpine. Also sounds like both teams have already begun exploring new recipes that Pat says will blow minds. If your unsure about the quality when GF begins bottling soon you can always just drive a few extra miles to the original brewery for your bottle/growler needs. BTW, this new batch of Nelson is incredible as is the mind blowing O’Briens’s DIPA made for SDBW, unfortunately its no longer available for growler fills, I have one left, we talked about a post Citra bottle share, maybe its a good time to see who’s interested.

Cheers,

Bud

in!

Another Beachwood event? I’ll bring Citra, JO, and/or Melrose unless Mike decides to me the Melrose for Alpine :wink:

I better get down there and get my bottles from you ASAP. What are you doing this weekend?

I’m around more or less. But don’t worry.