Advice to a rookie salesman

It’s hard to add anything new to this. I have enjoyed reading the thread and I have benefited from it. Not sure if I am saying anything new or earth shattering but . . .

Best advice I ever got - “shut up and pour”. This was from a friend of a business acquaintance who has a lot of retail ownership experience.

One of my best customers is an old school French chef who told me how much he hated b.s. When I first met him, I was fairly new. Fortunately he had a good handle on the portfolio because he bought from us before and he was ready to buy again. I told him how green I was. I kept my ears open and my mouth shut. He said a rep from another company was talking about some great $100.00 bottles of wine (wholesale). Chef told the rep that the Chef tasted more $100.00 bottles of wine in a day then the rep will in his whole career. He also told the rep that the rep probably hadn’t tasted the wines because the company is not opening $100.00 bottles of wine for their reps. Chef then asked me about some wines in my portfolio. Some wines I knew, some I didn’t. He really appreciated it when I said - “I don’t know”. My point is, like many others have said - don’t feed b.s. to people.

Lastly, I think it is important to love sales as much as, or more than, you love wine. There are plenty of wine lovers out there who do not want to be in sales. If you don’t love sales then stick to being a consumer.

Don’t talk yourself OUT of a sale!

Once someone says, “Yes, I’ll take three cases”, QUIT TALKING ABOUT THE WINE as you might say something that will nix the deal (like “great, X store down the block is BURNING this stuff up” or “the wines come wrapped in paper with neckers from the Wine Enthusiast”).

Next word out of your mouth should be “Thanks, that really helps my month” and “You’ll get it ____day”. Then GO…

Always show up and do great follow up. Those two things alone will put you way ahead of the pack.

Depending on who your distributors are, there is at least one who believes you should spend twenty hours on line, looking up unknown foreign wines from wineries with no websites, so you know all about the wine before he sells it to you. Don’t be the weak link.

That’s actually the hardest thing for me to do - I keep quiet while the buyers are tasting - outside of basic info - but if they taste through the lineup - and don’t say a word - I have to at least find out what they thought about the wines - especially if you are fairly new with the buyer -

It helps you figure out the buyer’s palate the best - do they like earthy, old world wines or are they a sugar whore (which I’ve been running into way too much lately) -

Thomas,

nice to hear you got some orders.

I would encourage you to rethink the way you are approaching this. The skill set that makes someone a wine enthusiast is often not the skill set that makes for a good sales person, which doesn’t mean that the two are mutually exclusive. I would encourage you to study the art of selling with the same diligence you’ve studied wine. Buy some highly rated sales books and dive into them. Figure out how you can help your customers achieve their goals and how you fit into the picture, how they can start to see you as a trusted asset and not someone that gets in their way.

good luck!

David -

I’ve been doing this for over 30 years - and my biggest customers I have known many of for over 25 years - I am the epitome of the anti-sale - but the king of filling holes -

I usually put a lot of credence into my products - and education is the key. And I have always felt that I needed to create my own markets to be successful.

When I first brought Oregon wines into the Midwest (early 1980s) people laughed at me. When I told them that Washington State was the next hot Cabernet area right after that - they laughed at me again.

When I introduced microbeers into the Midwestern market in 1990, they told me I would never be able to sell a case of beer for a whopping $36 a case to anyone. But I did, and was doing over 2 million in yearly sales three years later.

Now I am going around telling them that Michigan is the next big thing in white wines - and they are laughing at me again.

But you know what?

They are all buying from me. They did then and they are doing it now. Because they trust me. Saw eight accounts today, six of them put in the entire lineup of Michigan wines. The other two will be vilified so bad on Twitter and other various wine blog sites that they will probably lose their jobs by the end of the week.

Just kidding.

Our small company has four salesmen - and I represent 75% of the monthly sales. We specialize in wines from Croatia, Slovenia, Hungary, Switzerland and of all things, Michigan. We have no competition for our catalog for one reason, we created our own market.

Selling has never been a problem for me - it’s the simple tolerance of the ignorant and misinformed, I just don’t have the patience for the type of buyer that has learned everything in 6 months and now knows it all - So I pass those accounts on to the young guys - 20 years ago I could deal with them - just can’t anymore -

Thomas -

My mistake - i wasn’t reading carefully, I should have addressed that to the person who started the thread, Arthur K.

My apologies - you definitely aren’t new to sales!

Arthur - lots of good advice but really the most important thing is to step outside of yourself for a minute. You said that you’ve got great wines, etc., you have a passion for wine, blah blah blah.

Guess what. That doesn’t matter.

Many people have great wines and many people have a passion for it.

What matters is that you show the people something that they can use. When you stop in, take a look around the store. If you see they’ve got a million bottles from Tuscany, what are the chances of your getting in a new Tuscan wine? And if that’s what they love, your chances of getting in a new Portugese wine are even worse.

So what do you do? You may love your wines to drink, the buyers may also, but that doesn’t mean the wines will sell.

So look for some hook. Several people said to develop a relationship. Fine. But the buyer also has a relationship with the guy who drives the bus to work, or the security guard at the parking garage, or whatever. Relationships themselves aren’t the point. Make your relationship relevant to sales.

Maybe you’ve got a wine by one of the winemakers the store is carrying, or from a little area nearby their favorite, or whatever.

Don’t go out with the wines you love. I did that at first and didn’t make any sales. Go out with wines that you think deliver solid value and that won’t stress the buyer if he makes a commitment to add it to the store. Maybe it’s not your favorite. But if they can sell 20 cases of it, you’ll get a re-order and you’re making money. If you take your personal favorite and sell a case, what good is that? Eventually that may happen, but it takes time.

There are plenty of fifty dollar wines discounted all over today - just before you showed up, some other rep came in to tell the buyer about a closeout, clearance, or whatever. So show the guy or gal a few lower end values that rock, get their trust, and you’ve now got a foot in the door. In a couple years, they may trust you to look at some other stuff.

It also means don’t take out a big red in June when it’s 96 degrees. People are looking at lighter wines at that point. Of course, they’ve probably already selected their rosados and whites, but it doesn’t hurt to let them taste a few. So understand the cycle. They start looking at big reds in August and early Sept. The customers don’t but the buyers want them in the store the first day the temp drops like it always does in the fall. Show your sparklers then too. And show your whites/rosados in Feb.

And especially if you’re new, don’t try to impress people with your knowledge. There are lots of blowhards in the business. In fact, I think more than 50 pct are probably blowhards, but so what? More importantly, the buyer may be one who isn’t. He may be a guy who’s been drinking and tasting a few thousand wines a year for 20 years. If you show up bright eyed and bushy tailed and fresh out of a wine course trying to talk about what you just learned, he’ll just roll his eyes.

Yeah, people buy from reps they like. But just going around with a big smile will make them think you’re simple.
So talk to them about their wines, the kinds of things they like, show some interest in them and their needs. Indicate that at least you know your role is to help them move product. Selling wine, or anything really, isn’t about romance, or passion for wine, or anything like that. It’s about moving a product from the warehouse to the store to the customer’s sweaty little hands. Let the buyers know you understand that and you’re working to help them do it.

That’s how you get them to like you.

The romance and “artistry” and all that is for the customer.

And you also need to be a noodge. It’s why sales are hard for some people.

Good luck!

This is one of my favorite threads on the BB!

Bumping because I sent it to a friend in San Diego looking for a job in the industry and I wanted her to see the great advice given.

Any additional thoughts?