Advice Needed - Tips on Pouring Wine at a large Wine Tasting Event

This requires a lot of tact, but is essential. Get comfortable saying, “I’d love to discuss that in more detail with you, but these folks behind you have been waiting patiently for a taste.” Most tasters will realize they have hung on too long and move on to another winery.

I find tank tops work well for me. [wow.gif]

But seriously, don’t wear white, and don’t wear anything you wouldn’t want to get wine on.

Ouch! If this is true, then I am a repeat offender many times over. I want a second opinion on this. I thought I was regaling the room with my sartorial splendor. You have potentially burst my nascent fashion sense bubble. Somebody, please help.

You are good as long as you wear a neckerchief. pepsi

Bob is correct.

Many times this is actually the fault of the person doing the pouring. You have to learn to multitask. It frustrates me to no end to be standing at a table with my glass reached out, but the pourer is just standing there talking to someone else. It’s fine to be talking, but you have to learn to be able to pour for other people at the same time.

+1. If you have people hogging the front of the line who want to yammer and yammer, you have to balance making them feel “special” with making sure you give pours to the people waiting in line.

Another way of handling it is to ask the yammerers nicely to step to the side of the table so you can chat with them WHILE you serve the people who are waiting in line. If it’s worthwhile to continue chatting with them, then do so. If the conversation doesn’t seem worthwhile, then start devoting more of your attention to the people waiting in line.

Bruce

That’s why I said it requires a lot of tact. Most of the venues I pour at are annual events, and people become your “friends” and valued customers. They like being recognized and they like “catching up” a bit. But everyone is entitled to a pour and the opportunity to ask a question or two. And as anyone who has poured at an event knows, there is nothing like a crowd around a table to attract an even bigger crowd around the table.

That’s funny because our event polo shirts are white with embroidered logo.

1. Sign-up sheet for your mailing list
  2. Business cards
  3. When we pour Zin we have a bowl of dark chocolate Hershey’s Kisses on the table.
  4. Varietal notes on 8-1/2 x 11 sheets
  5. Smile, smile and smile again. Make eye contact with every person who walks near your table. Lure them in.

You want things to attract attention to your table.

I’ve seen this, never done it, but plan to next time: bring a few square blocks, stands, boxes, whatever of various heights that are sturdy enough to stand a wine bottle on top. Arrange a cascade or stair step pattern. Put a large table cloth over your whole table including your display steps. Arrange wine bottles on the steps. “Raising” various surface portions of your table will catch the eye. Does that make sense?

Etched or painted 3 and 6 liter bottles catch attention and are conversation starters.

One of those digital picture frames scrolling through photos of your vineyards, winery, winemaking, etc.

DON’T BE SHY about asking folks to sign up for your mailing list. While we take it for granted, many people there will have never signed up on a winery list before. If you are paying attention, glance and make sure you can read their writing.

Great advice all, thanks again! [worship.gif]

How much wine would your bring (regulated to 1oz pours) for a four hour event? I will definitely run out of tastes well before the event is over if the projected number of attendees holds true.

From the customer side, I strongly agree with both of you, but what about the folks who are not talking to the winery person, but just chatting with each other? Is there a tactful way for the winery person to ask them to “move along”? I am often tempted to dump my glass-rinse water down their back, but I have not . . . yet.

2 bottles max per hour. More red than white, usually go 60-40 at outdoor event, 70-30 at indoor event. Bring enough to back up if you have some “off” bottles.

It takes awhile to get the hang of it, and different events call for different amounts of wine.

Good luck, Grasshopper. Please share your stories upon your return…love to hear them!

(Hardy and I will be in the trenches shining our helmets and bayonets!)

:smiley:

Ken, I always look “past” the offenders taking up your table space and chatting about whatever, and invite the folks waiting to come in and grab a taste.

I say “Come on in folks…plenty of room for everyone!” And the talkers / table horders kind of look at me, and slowly move away.

Gotta take control of the situation in front of your table, or you’re dead. Be in charge, but polite.

I guess in real life you’re different from your online persona. I just picture you with the machine gun in your avatar screaming “Move, MFers!”

Thank Master T, I will try and walk deftly on the rice paper without tearing it [snort.gif]

I’ll be sure to post and let you all know how it went!

Thanks again all!

[cheers.gif]

Brett

Uh oh; just got word from the event coordinator that they’re expecting nearly 1,300 people at this event!!!

What have I gotten myself into?! [suicide.gif]

100, 1300, no big deal. You still approach it the same way. We poured at the Sonoma County Harvest Fair and it was a freaking zoo. Just remember to keep eye contact with all the people coming past your table. Especially when you already have tasters in front of you. Oh, and bring a glass for yourself. You’ll need one. Relax, it’ll be a blast.

Thanks Brian! I will keep the relaxing part in mind. [thumbs-up.gif]

UPDATE - After all of this, I ended up not going to the event. Not going to get into details, but let’s just say I became buried in red tape and couldn’t dig out.