A Yank in Oz -- Sydney Australia March 24

Yesssss!!!

Edited:

I’m bringing
2013 Maybach Materium Cabernet Sauvignon (very typical of modern Napa cabernet, drinkable young)
2005 Three Rivers (now called “Chris Ringland” since 1998) (needs a decant)
1991 Williams Selyem Rochioli Vineyard Pinot Noir (maybe the best pinot made in the US up to that point and through his retirement after the 1997 vintage)

I hope you guys bring Oz wines

LOL…George you told me anything like 5 times :slight_smile:.

I was trying to be accomodating. No longer LOL!!! After hitting a wine store in Bondi and seeing nothing I wanted to buy…Hill of Grace in an off vintage for $800 AUS???..that’s almost…let’s see…90 dollars US!!! …this dinner is the only chance I’ll have all trip to drink older wine.

Seriously I don’t care as long as I give myself big pours to protect you guys who have to drive.

You folks were incredible hosts. I can’t believe every single wine was corked except the 1991 Williams Selyem. That was bad luck.

Great to meet you George. Enjoy the rest of your trip but I’m sure nothing will top the memory of lining up for korean chicken after dinner with us :slight_smile:

Great night!! Missed a few bottles pic wise (Champagnes, Sparkling Shiraz and Dessert Wine)

Some very generous contributions, was great to chat with George all night about the wine scene in the the US and general stuff.

Couple of photos from Tim at the Korean BBQ Chicken place waaay after midnight.

Korean Fried Chicken Beer Robot is a great name for a rock band

Wow. If that’s what they pulled for you imagine what this group will bring when I get down there for a visit :slight_smile:

Looks amazing, guys—TNs?

All best,

Mike

Full list was as follows, I’ll try to do some notes soon.

2010 Nyetimber Classic Cuvée
2013 Jérôme Prévost Champagne La Closerie Extra Brut Les Beguines

2005 Nicolas Joly Clos de la Coulée de Serrant

2013 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Champs-Gain
2013 Coche-Dury Meursault
2013 Domaine Roulot Bourgogne Blanc

2002 Voyager Estate Chardonnay
1999 Penfolds Chardonnay Yattarna

2007 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin-Clos de Bèze
2007 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Bonnes Mares
2007 Faiveley Corton-Clos des Cortons

NV Charles Melton Sparkling Shiraz (disgorged 08/05)

1978 Masterson Shiraz Cabernet

2009 Wendouree Shiraz
2003 McWilliam’s Mount Pleasant Wines Shiraz Maurice O’Shea

2005 Chris Ringland Shiraz

2013 Maybach Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Materium
2014 Te Mata Estate Coleraine

2004 Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Scharzhofberger Riesling Auslese

1933 Seppelt Para Liqueur

They’re saving a 1991 WIlliams Selyem Rochiioli for you at the restaurant!

I guessed almost 100 percent which were whites and which were reds. I asterisked here the ones I loved. I don’t remember the Te Mata.

Nyuk, nyuk. I’ll be sure to remark on the funky, earthy and cork-like notes on that one.

Mike

Love the Paras. Never had the '33, though. Apparently it was OK give the **

Yeah the Para is indestructible

The color on the Masterson looks amazing! [thumbs-up.gif]

There is a bit of a story behind this wine…it is from the cellars of the late and great Peter Lehmann, his son went through the cellar and recorked/gassed and filled when able the old bottles still in good nick. They were wax sealed and signed by him.

The wine itself is also a bit of a story,

1978 Masterson Barossa Valley Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon
This is a rarity. The first Masterson vintage made at Saltram before Peter set up his own winery.
A high quality parcel of Barossa Shiraz and Cabernet saw no new oak. It is a terrific drink today with a core of sweet blood plum and cassis fruit.
There are savoury notes of leather, tar and autumnal leaves. It still has plenty of drive and energy. JH 2015

Here is an interesting excerpt about the why of Lehmann’s Masterton Label and how much Peter and Robert (of Rockford Basket Press wine fame) meant to the grape growers. So this wine is essentially the first Peter Lehmann Wine made as a pre-cursor for when Peter left Saltram to help out the growers.

The first [Rockford] Basket Press was made in1984, when the Barossa’s fortunes were at an all-time low. Ancient vineyards were being uprooted under the South Australian Government’s vine pull scheme, and you could hardly give Barossa shiraz away. It was even finding its way into Shiraz Muffins. It seems a lifetime ago today, but it was only five years before that Peter Lehmann had left Saltram to set up Masterton Wines, today known as Peter Lehmann Wines Ltd, to extend a lifeline to the generation of Barossa fruit growers which had suddenly found itself without a market.

Absolutely shocked to see a Win Phone in the wild like that. Somebody in the group must be a MSFT employee :smiley:

Question for Anthony - does the tax rule apply to three bottles of alcohol in general, or do they treat spirits differently? I’m packing in a bottle of gin and one of rye for a local next month and would also like to bring some Cayuse down. Don’t want to get dinged. Can probably leverage one of my direct’s luggage as well, if push comes to shove.

Any restaurant recs? Will be in town 5/10-5/15 and I’ll have a couple of the weeknights free with a colleague. I set the bar pretty high in London with Pollen Street Social, Duck and Waffle and a few other places. Doesn’t need to be over-the-top; am looking to get away for ~$200 USD/head, including wine. I’m just thankful it’s Sydney and not some god-forsaken place like Toronto grin

Rule is 2.25 litres of any alcohol per person over 18. Any amount over that and you (probably) pay duty on the whole lot.

Thank you!