A Morning in Paris: GJE Blind Tasting of 2001 and 2006 Top Bordeaux

Michel Bettane is strongly opposed to any kind of information for a real blind tasting, since, as he says, it may bring a bad biais inside the tasting.

Well, of course, open to discussion.

Caroline Notin, the brunette is “the” person in charge of the “grands crus” at Sovex, a negoce company who belongs to Justin Onclin (owner of Prieuré Lichine, Branas Grand Poujeaux and Villemaurine) and Mr Ballande, also owner of Ballande & Co, also a négoce House. Trust me : on Bordeaux, her comments are pure gems, like the one from Kevin when he is in great shape (in fact : anyone knows him in bad shape ?). She tastes more than anyone else every top wine from Bordeaux.

Marie Ahm, a danish Journalist living in Barcelona has also very understandable comments on every wine. Bouh ! These gentlemen of the GJE have to behave at their best level.

As the President of their fan-club, any request to be a member must go thru me. Well, at least you may try.

flirtysmile

a joy to watch, thank you.

my thoughts exactly.

Bringing back an old thread, Yves Durand just sent the video for this to our Bordeaux tasting group email. I don’t understand much in the way of French, but it made me dig this thread out, which I’m happy to read as it’s in English!

Love blind tasting…

Ha, ha, this was awesome.

Re 2001, I have never had such a range of high-level wines from the vintage, but just based on my experience I think 2001 is a longer aging vintage than people think. It can be austere and a little tough and I’ve definitely had a number of classed growths that are far from ready to drink. Maybe the Reignac was just hitting on all cylinders.

Not surprised at all…I think all bordeaux lovers know this…in fact I have not tasted a first growth or 2nd that I preferred over any of my favorite SHL, D’armailhac, Giscours, D’issan, Talbot or Sociando.

I did taste many times with the GJE and I can tell you that when the Blind Tasting results were posted on the internet and being not in line with the prestige and price of the wines and the imagination of the readers the abilities of the tasters were questioned most of the times and not the quality of the wine.

You and I drink a lot together and we share an affinity for many of the Chateaux you note, except SHL, which I do not like at all (quite modern). Some of these Chateaux in certain years, like the Talbot 82 and Sociando 90, hit solid highs. That said, I rarely find that they can hit the same higher highs of wines with greater pedigree and/or terroir. Think 1989 and 1990 Montrose, 1990 Lynch Bages, 1989 Pichón Baron, 2000 Cheval Blanc, to name a few examples. They are great QPRs, however, and make up a notable percentage of my Bordeaux.

This is the second time that Reignac beat most of the big boys.

I don’t get it, maybe the competition would be different with mature wines

Last year a humble '98 la grave a pomerol wiped the floor against everything in a blind tasting…it was a fuq’n blood bath.

Nothing wrong with my palate!

And very happy to see the 2001 Latour showing well. I enjoy the '01 vintage considerably and have a few of these. In fact speaking of '01… my favorite is Bahans Haut Brion, yep a second label. It’s been a few years, but it was glorious. '01 SHL haunts me also.

Though I clearly remember you really enjoyed the '04 SHL that we popped at your house a few yrs. back

I still cringe every time I hear Kevin Shin say the Bordeaux reminded him of Burgundy. Blows my mind - don’t understand how that’s even close to possible.

Because Todd u know nothing about Bordeaux, have u not tasted Pavie???
It’s like bordeaux’s Musigny [wink.gif]

stick to your dehlinger sir!!

[smileyvault-ban.gif] lol

Lol

Harry Waugh 1904-2001. [Beloved English wine writer and merchant who, when asked whether he had ever mistaken claret for Burgundy, famously replied, “Not since lunch.”]

Todd,

no Bordeaux tastes exactly as a Burgundy. But certain Bordeaux – especially old ones – can take on a transparency and lightness without being dull that is reminiscent to Burgundy. It´s certainly still Bordeaux but with certain Burgundian aspects.

BTW: Harry Waugh – a true Gentleman, connoisseur, wine lover and director of Chateau Latour answered when asked if he ever mistaken Bordeaux for Burgundy and vis á versa: Not since lunch. He was a very skilled taster and he knew what he was talking about.

Robert was faster with Harry Waugh …

Just for the record, my post was in jest. I love that quote, but I assume it was intended sarcastically.

… I am not so sure … I guess it was simply humbleness …