a merlot for Pomerol producer

I recently picked up a 92. Looking forward to trying it soon!

Craig, it’s been a couple of years since my last (purchased on release) 1992, but it was going strong and nicely mature. Hope yours is as good.

Got this just now from one of the people I will be seeing. It is not a coincidence that his name is Petrus but that is a long story.

Philippe

Pas de problème pour nous pour venir le 29 au restaurant de Grand Barrailh que je connais aussi très bien .
Pour les vins c’est toi qui choisi pourquoi pas Zinfandel.
Pour le déjeuner à Guadet je t’ai proposé soit le 30 soit le 31.
Si la dégustation est prévu chez les Lebreton de 30 mars de 10 h à 11h nous pouvons soit faire la visite et déjeuner à Guadet dans la foulée le 30 mars soit le 31 à 11h30 visite dégustation et déjeuner et vous serez libre à 14h .

Dis moi rapidement ton choix
Bonne Journée
Amicalement
Guy-Petrus

Sound like Eric was right- he wants to try a Zin.
I have little experience with Zin and never found them to be food friendly.
What do you recommend that will work with a pretty classic lunch prepared by his wife?

Wilde Farm Bedrock Heritage or Hobo Rockpile Zin. Both avoid the over the top that is all to common in zin and zin based blends.

And you can never go wrong with Ridge Lytton Springs or Geyserville. The 2014s of both are good and readily available. They’re balanced and food-friendly. If you think he’s ever had a zin before, then there’s a good chance he’s had a Ridge, so you might consider a Bedrock or something else.

Carlisle with some age on it would be my choice.

This:

WS gave it an 83, so you know it’s good. AFWE merlot.

Philip Ente wrote:
Sound like Eric was right- he wants to try a Zin.
I have little experience with Zin and never found them to be food friendly.
What do you recommend that will work with a pretty classic lunch prepared by his wife?

Ridge Geyserville and Carlisle Montafi would be my top choices. Both are extremely well balanced and age well. If you are looking for a Merlot, the recommendations of the Beringer Bancroft Ranch from the early 1990’s are on the mark.

Thanks,
Ed

I’d suggest that you forget American Merlot, and find a well-aged Ridge Monte Bello from a good vintage.

He did say “Pomerol”… [scratch.gif]

They always want Zin, but I’d be curious what they think of Mark Ryan Long Haul.

Have you had Pride’s “VS” wines? [scratch.gif]

If you’re looking for something unique, I’d recommend tracking down something from Long Island. There are some really good merlot and Cabernet franc being made there. The weather has more in common with Bordeaux than does California. There are a couple threads that highlight the good and not-so-good producers. Mikhail opened a couple at a tasting a few years ago and they were impressive.

Yes. Quality for the style, but I don’t see much to compare to Pomerol. I would think a more restrained merlot would be more apt, at least, unless you just want to show the guy something different. In that case, I would not disagree.