2016 West Coast Vintage Weather Thread

Doh!

This morning we had thunder, lightning, and winds that were able to knock over some very heavy things. And the rain! Just pelting at times, and then suddenly stopping and giving way to a bit of sun. Only to repeat over and over. Enough! But I think the forecast for at least a couple of weeks is rain at least every other day.

Had 1.25" in the past 24 hrs. Winds were big last night but no obvious damage. Seasonal creeks flowing again. Did a bunch of year end tasks including all 44 of the W-2’s. Pruned with a couple of my guys yesterday in a 667 cane pruned block. Peewee quite restless on these days that we don’t drive over the hill.

What’s PeeWee’s issue with not going over the hill? Has to sniff out that Cabernet? [cheers.gif]

Even if the sun is out, my two black cats are mostly not interested in going outside. They know, I think, the weather pattern lately, which means it is rainy outside each door every 30 minutes or so.

Besides, the house is warm and comfortable. In the office, there is the desk with the warmth of the router for your head, and the heat of the desk lamp for your belly. An old cashmere sweater on the second chair at my desk, so we can keep the peace between these two coveted locations.

A walk between rains shows an even higher, healthier cover crop.

The wind almost knocked me over late in the morning, it was brutal. Must have been a 50-60 mph gust.

More rain. Colder - 45 degrees. Dark. Hang me.

Come on Merrill go on Expedia, and get yourself a cheap trip to Puerto Vallarta. Soak up a bit of sun.

January is the cruelest month - low on cash and high on catch up work in the office. The sun did come out for quite awhile today. I just walked the vineyard and was surprised to see how the bell beans in the cover crop had shot up.

It is supposed to rain again later, and more of this pattern for while.

January is “consider joining a militia” month around here. I’m on my fourth gov’t filing of the day and cutting checks for the privilege of growing grapes and “excising” wine, whatever that means.

Had a great day working with a few of my guys. Yes, the sun came out for a while and it was lovely, but by about 3:30 the clouds moved in and cooled off. I like working with my guys and conversing about life, family and such. Its also good for me to spend a few hours a day pruning and connecting with the vineyard. I’m also beginning to shop some fruit. I’ve got quite a few tons of pinot to sell for 2016.

Yesterday’s sun is long forgotten. During the night the rain came in and has been very intense. Dreary, with temperatures hovering around 50 degrees.

Rain and wind out there now. Ditches are cleaned, water bars checked, chickens fed (poor girls).

Pot roast on the stove. Today its football and family. Having the grandkids and other grand parents up. If you can’t work…play!

Torrential rains today and especially tonight. If it wasn’t a downpour, it was at least raining. Enough!

We got 5 inches in 24 hrs followed by a 12 hour power outage.

Whoever is still praying for rain, please be more specific about where you’d like it to fall. newhere

Strangely, we had tasters show up today. I hosted in the winery by candle. With no power, sitting around drinking and visiting seemed like a good option.

(Bump for thread bookmark.)

Bookmark it at "rain " that is all there is.

What is there to say? More rain and it’s been pretty warm too. Don’t think I have much more paperwork left to do. Gonna go out and prune with the boys tomorrow.

South wind blew all day. Had my first anxiety of the 2016 year…pruning wounds bleeding already and saw a few cracked buds too. Talked to some other growers and the same thoughts going around the neighborhood. Not happy.

We had 2 days without rain - yesterday was pretty nice - around 65 even in the shade. I took a lunch break out in the yard overlooking the vineyard and mountains and soaked up a few rays of sun.

But night fell and here we are again: rain. Lots of it. I think they are forecasting a mostly dry week next week.

Mostly sun today with a bit of rain, which did produce a brief but lovely rainbow. I think we are supposed to have a dry week. The cover crop is loving it - will wait a couple of days to soak up the sun before taking and posting a photo, but is is pumping!