2011/2012 Burgundy

I’m counting back from '15. Once it’s picked…
'11 should also be on your “soft” list, Dennis.
Tender freshness was/is my go to phrase for the vintage.

Hi Fred,

I was referring to '11 Cote de Beaune. I’m not a huge fan of '11 Chablis.

I’m drinking a 2011 Guillemot Savigny Narbantons now and finding it very attractive. I’ve heard many descriptions of 11s as “green” but my feeling is that they might be more “brown,” and in this case that’s not at all bad. It has a lot of earthy, woodsy character but other than being fairly light there’s no sense of underripeness. No brown color - it’s a very nice looking wine, again light but very pretty cherry red.

First: for me a Burg vintage is NOT for “drinking” over the next 5/7 years … one can taste early (from cask … or right after bottling), but for “drinking” a greater number of bottles I´ll take vintages (usually) 12+ years of age …
That doesn´t mean that no 2011s (or 12s or 13s) can be enjoyed - but they are in no way near maturity (which for me means developed into something NOT primary …)

In this view 2012 is definitely superior to 2011 - and slightly to 2013. ´12 is usually riper, with sweeter tannins, more depth, better balance, less noticable acidity and no green and astringent elements - the vintage had immense charm from barrels … and will show that again at maturity, too.
On the other side it may need longer to reach full maturity - AND some wines are beginning to close down.

There are good 2011s, even excellent ones, but quite a lot have dry tannins, more or less green notes (not from meanies …) and less depth than 2012.
2013 is better in my view (than 2011), but has less sweetness and higher acidity (than 2012) … I miss the charm and balance of ´12 … but it´s a good vintage and will develope nicely.

All very generally - and in red only!

Faiveley: they have changed style in 2007 … more fruity, more foreward, earlier drinkable …

Marc MOREY: he´s a domaine as well as a negociant … so attention what is on the label … (the domaine wines are usually better).

I’ll second that 2011 is underrated for whites. I have universally been very happy with whites frim this vintage

+1

Completing my tour of 2011 Guillemot Savigny 1ers is the Gravains: A little brighter on the nose than the Narbantons and more tannic. It smells of red fruit, dry underbrush, and maybe a bit of smoke. Very happy with these, and if they’re the weakest of the boatload of Guillemot I’ve bought, I’m in good shape!

Guilemot is good.