2010 Chateau Lanessan, Haut Medoc

I can’t find my notes, if I had any at all, but I believe you said to try the 2009. I was only able to get the 2010 and if I remember correctly the bottle was shut down. So it wasn’t that I dislike lanessan.

I think you said it was tart and tannic, but that was a bit ago. Hope I didn’t exaggerate your prior post, but yea, you should definitely try the 2009. It’s more forward.

I recall seeing you are a Caymus fan, which is a style completely different from Lanessan. In your approach to Bordeaux, did you try any of the more modern-styled stuff? The Mathilde by Ch. La Fleur Morange is something you should try - last few years have been consistently good (2005, 08-10), and it’s in the same Lanessan price class, and easy to find. It’s ripe and forward, less structured, but also appeals to someone like me for its light use of wood. Not a profound wine, but a very good mid-week quaffer and nice transition to what Bordeaux can do with the same grapes that you like.

Based on your enthusiasm (and favorable CT notes) I just ordered 4 magnums of the 09 Cantemerle @ $85.95 ea.

The 1982 is still hind strong. A very nice wine, though as you say, not in the class of the classified growths.

I have some 2009 and will look for the 2010. Thanks for the notes.

I 100% knew u were going to post that!!hahaha…
Best under $12 wine I have ever tasted…ever (first wave '09 shipment /maroon capsule…amazing) (second wave of 09’s with the bright red capsule was in the same vein as the sierra carche debacle!!)

Yes siir, a little break in Aussie to chime in on your post!

Joe B…You may like the Mauvais Garcon (bad boy) better…it’s majority merlot…very juicy, sexy upfront fruit…has a bit of a new world style with old world underpinnings…$20 it offers a lot of pleasure

Binny’s currently has the 1999, 2000, 2003, and 2010 available. I bought and tried the 99 a few month ago, it seemed tired to me. I’ll stop get the 2000 and 2003 to try.

Okay, I had a bottle of 2009 Lanessan last night, prompted by this thread. Really a nice wine. Definitely red fruited, with restrained but adequate fruit and ripeness. There is a modest layer of tobacco and green herbs in there (less than a typical Chinon, but similar in character), and a clean finish with medium acids. Whatever oak they used is basically not noticeable at all. Everything about the wine is restrained and balanced, but it also isn’t old-school in the sense of being stinky or unclean or heavily bell pepper tasting or way out there in any way.

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:
The 2009 Lanessan is quite approachable but don’t expect it to be a rich, opulent wine like many from this warm vintage. It actually has more of a cool climate profile, with red crunchy fruits and good acid. If you like Chinon, you will like the 09 Lanessan. Still primary but fun.

I agree with Robert’s description of the wine. I’m not sure what I would have pegged this as had I tried it double blind, maybe cab franc, or maybe something else entirely.

A very nice traditional wine, and good value at $20. It drinks well now, but I think should be good for a decade plus. I’m a fan.

I know, bummer, or I would have gone easy 90+! The '01 has some funk to it.

Just kidding, your descriptions mirror mine perfectly.

I was actually surprised to learn how little Cab Franc is in the blend, typically just 1%, as this wine always throws a a CF profile to me. The '09 moreso than other years.

The limited oak treatment is highlighted on Leve’s site:

The wine of Chateau Lannesan is vinified in traditional, concrete vats. Malolactic fermentation takes place in vat. The wine is aged in a combination of 33% new, French barrels, 33% one year old, French oak barrels and 33% two year old, French oak barrels for an average of 12 months

Read more: > Learn about Chateau Lanessan Haut Medoc, Complete Guide

I actually bought three bottles of the 2010 Cantemerle. Wont be ready until 2020 or so. I figure at this point i need to buy more 2008-2010 bdx and avoid the 2011-2013 so i may try and pick up some 2009 Cantemerle.

Even though i have never had any. champagne.gif [wow.gif]

The remaining half bottle or so of 2010 from Last night has shut down hard. Stick 'Em away!

Now that I know my initial belief in the estate was not misplaced (thanks, Robert), I should take stock. I have five 2009s left, and 2009 and 2010 are easily available for $20@, I guess maybe I should add some 2010s. I don’t have room to stockpile cases of the stuff, but I could go in for a small stash of the 2010s, and then have an interesting vintage comparison to do down the road.

I also jumped at some Lanessan a while back, and was able to pick up 2001 for $24/bottle. Tax, delivery fob my cellar. I seem to remember lots of it out there in a variety of vintages. Popular vintages have the higher pricese as one would expect, but very happy with QPR of 2001.

KJF

Wine is always a value, 87-90 points depending on vintage, off years 87, great years 90, wish more producers had this kind of quality bandwidth.

I have high hopes for the 2003 Lanessan. Each of the 3-4 times I’ve tried it (including last year), it showed young and had a depth of fruit that is unusual for this chateau. It still tasted like Lanessan – and it avoided the pitfalls of the vintage – but with an extra gear. I’m curious to see how it develops.

A wine like this, at this price, should age 10+ years, peak at 7-8 and decline thereafter, Lanessan bucks that and extends the window due to more tannin, acid, and structure…serious wine for $20-$30. A safe buy year in and out with Mathilde, Caronne Ste Gemme, Poujeaux, Reignac, Chantegrive, and so many other non-first growths.

For the record, BDX does offer value.

Damn you guys. I swung by Total Wine on the way home from work and picked up a '09 and a '10. Popped and poured and tried a sip. The '09 was much more open from the get go. Left my house with the bottles open about 3.5 hours ago, and will be getting back to try these in about another hour. Should be interesting to see the evolution and if I need to go deep on either. Any idea the % blends on these?

Jeb,

60 Cab, 36 Merlot, 4 PV.

Another thumbs up for Lanessan. As a reference point for ageing, another bottle of the 1995 was still in a great place some weeks ago, with years to go. Provided one likes the style, I think Lanessan is definitely an overperformer, given the relatively modest price.

So I opened these on Wednesday, tried again on Thursday, and now just tried for a third time. MUCH more enjoyable on Day 3. Everything seems to have integrated quite well in both bottles over 56 hours or so. It makes me want to get a case of these wines and realize the either they should sit a few years, or sit a few days open, then be consumed. But for $20, pretty damn good Bordeaux experience.

edit: Just went back and took a couple more sips and I think maybe 48 hours would be optimal open time. The '09 seems sliiiiiiiiiightly flat, but still enjoyable. The '10 has a little more structure to it and a longer finish and feels more complete at this stage. I think my first two sips 30 minutes ago were skewed by not having tasted anything today.