2006 Red Burgundy: how are they doing?

A 2006 Drouhin Griottes-Chambertin tasted 2 months ago was fabulous, stunning - singing, fresh, relatively open. Essence of fine pinot. Of course it will get even better, but already showing beutifully.

Hi Gerhard,

The OP asked how the wines are doing right now. The 07s are currently a lot more fun to drink while 06 is muddy in that they are much harder to read and enjoy - right now. It seems you disagree with me only to actually agree! [wow.gif] I am trying scattered 06 village wines, but higher level 06s are buried near my 05s. I don’t think 06, generally speaking, will have the same peak as 05, though that of course will vary from producer to producer.

Thanks for the examples. It seems that there might be some good signs.

Philip leclerc 1er les champeaux was excellent

Data point for what it’s worth, a village, but it seemed to me to be doing very nicely.

06 Dom. Burguet Gevrey Chambertin Mes Favorites Vieilles Vignes
Closed down at first, and a little bretty, after an hour of breathing and another half or so of decant turns into a genuinely lovely wine: nose remains a tad muted, but definitely something floral, which shows up big time on the palate, pastille, violets, blue fruits, longish finish, ending on some darker more briary notes. The latter are quite subdued and all and all a quite balanced, complex, fascinating drink. Lighter on its feet than most G-C VV I’ve had, I wonder where the “favorites” are actually located.

Exactly my experience for drinking now.

Well, probably not in the last 30 y [wow.gif] - while I haven´t tasted from cask any wines prior 1987, even some 87s were improving well past 1997 … and the best 92s are at apogee for only 5-8 years (even Musigny Leroy was youthful 3 years ago) … and the 94s as well. Most 84s were fully mature in the late 90ies, several were not in 1992 (but I haven´t tasted an awful lot …).
1973/74 might have been mature in 1980-82 … they certainly were in 1988 …

Well, I think we can agree that 2006 will be (ultimately) superior to 2007, and 2005 over 2006 … but not at the same time … one can hardly taste these 3 vintages side by side on the same level and find them in a comparable state of evolution … I think the best 05s will only be really mature in 2030, and will outlive me quite certainly …

I had the '06 Roumier Chambolle Musigny and the '06 Hudelot-Noellat Clos de Vougeot last week. The Roumier was had fresh, dark fruit (very Bonnes Mares-like), was reasonably balanced, and had decent length. It was a very good villages wine, and would not have been mistaken for a 1er cru.
I did not know the vintage of the Clos de Vougeot when it was served to me. I would have guessed that it was older than it was. It was very approachable for a grand cru, and quite delicious!
Neither wine showed any sign of the GMT taint that has been reported in 2006 red burgundy.

I’ve found 06 Fourrier village wines to be drinking great for awhile now.

I remember when people said that about the 1999s. I don’t believe it any more. But I agree that the 2009s are still drinking well now.

A recent 2006 bertheau premier cru was very good

I had a 2006 Mongeard-Mugneret Vosne Orveaux 1er last week and it was absolutely delicious. While young, I don’t regret opening it.

Am pretty-much loving the 2006s that I’m drinking this year, from CdB and CdN.

Thanks all for the reports.

Reading all these comments, it seems that the '06s might be more open for other than what I have experienced. Keep those notes coming!

Of the wines I’ve had the privelege of tasting several times, I think most showed better a two or three years ago than what they have lately. One exception is Chandon de Briailles ile des vergelesses which is in a nice spot right now. But generally I would wait at least a couple of years for most producers.

For my cellar and I we firmly believe that 2006 is a hangover vintage from 2005, consumed many excellent bottles from both Cote’s, preferred to 2007 and 2008.

MT

2006 jadot csj is singing but no rush
2006 vogue musigny is ridiculously great but can go longer easily

2008 vogue bonnes mares and musigny - too tight to drink needs 10 years at least

In the interest of science, I opened a 2006 over the weekend (among several other wines; posting to come).

I chose a wine that needs quite a bit of time.

2006 Sylvain Cathiard Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Malconsorts
Very lifted with cassis, red apples and pomegranate, but also toasty oak, spices and unami. The aromas suggest a wine that is open. On palate this is much tighter: an acidic backbone gives focus and structure to the wine but it needs integration. While the aromas suggest an unfurling of layers, the taste is more uni-dimensional. As the wine opens further, the toasty oak is quite dominant. This was true on the second day too. Whether the oak will integrate remains to be seen. This falls in the category of not open for business. It also shows the tightness of the acidity that I have found in other 2006s. Again, I realise that this wine usually requires long-time cellaring. Others on cellartracker seem to have the wine more integrated than we did.

A Pavelot 1er Pernand-Vergelesses les Vergelesses last year was discretely gorgeous. A Bize Savigny les Beaune Aux Vergelesses this year was mostly unpleasant.

I’ve read there was more variation in vintage quality from locality to locality in 06 than 05; some 06s may be ‘better’ than the corresponding 05s (e.g., NSG), elsewhere not so much.

Based on my experience, 06s better than corresponding 05s are pretty rare. I’m beginning to wonder if this will be the modern-day 90/91 pair - an obviously great vintage on the one hand that may some day become fashionable to pick on, and on the other an underrated year that eventually gets overrated because it followed such an obvious great year, but the virtues weren’t as obvious. To 06’s virtues, release price certainly was not one of them.

In considering it, 06 might barely crack my top five vintages for the decade… pileon