100 Points by Robert Parker

he’s going to need all the help to get a magazine off the ground that will most likely have a very narrow niche to it. So it’s best you don’t :wink:

Looking forward to the toaster reviews. 2 slices or 4?

Awesome. I want to make sure that I’m first on the mailing list for all the new toaster models.*

Bruce

*For Eric: Please note sarcasm…

We know the meatballs he tweeted about (100 points) will be featured in the magazine.

Isn’t a new glossy magazine a really big investment? I mean like likely way beyond what the investment group paid for TWA?

Seems really risky to me. I am sure Marvin Shanken will look on with great interest, and redeploy assets as needed. Could be really interesting.

We can mock The Palate all we want, but at the end of the day, I’d gladly swap paychecks with him. And most certainly careers.

I’ll wait for the mobile app. Should only be about 5 years out.

This is not a WA venture, but an RP one separate from the WA.

Did he really name the mag “100 Points”? If you google “Robert Parker 100 Points” you’ll get several links trying to sell 100-pointed wines, and a few articles arguing about problems with the 100 point scale, nothing about the mag, and I don’t imagine this changes much post-publication.

Thanks, Ken. I wasn’t sure about that from earlier posts. I thought maybe since it was posted on ebob, it was part of that venture.

Doesn’t make a big difference to my point. It still seems really expensive to do a glossy mag right. And he is not without deep-pocketed competition.

What makes you say that? It would seem odd that the new ownership would allow Bob to use his name in a venture without their involvement. Wondering if I missed something in the announcement. He says “separate and apart from TWA,” but then says “we.”

Well we’ll see what happens in a few days when he announces more…

At the moment it seems like the new ownership is cramming as much in as possible whilst Parker is still tasting and still has a goodly amount of commercial influence.

1984 called and they want their business model back…

I happen enjoy Parker’s writing, though I don’t always agree with him. But a Magazine? In 2014? If this was announced on April 1st, I would have made sense.

No, they’re planning to wait until cellphones are obsolete.

Hey, great book review. That guy can really write

ROBERT M. PARKER Jr., wine cop to the world, is a polarizing figure whose fierce judgments are echoed by the ferocity of his advocates and opponents.

and he has a brain

McCoy also shows that if it weren’t for the French, Parker would be up the Garonne without a paddle. It was thanks to Peynaud’s expertise that Parker developed his breakthrough advocacy of the 1982 Bordeaux vintage.

Have to look up some of his wine articles…

Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s the way I interpreted the “Separate and apart from TWA…” comment, since the WA is the business he sold.

All the attorneys nobody mentioned the obvious … He has a non compete clause that runs years I am sure … So it has to be very much not competition to TWA in any way … He probably had to have it approved before he wanted to get started…

I was involved in a magazine in NYC as a consultant because they all lose money , so much money… The cost of a glossy mag per issue back in 1995 was $300,000 on a thin budget … Today a venture like this cost millions in capital and is obviously very high risk, very high risk deals from major players inc Oprah who went on to sink 500 000 000 into her project as the river of red inc flowed… Look it’s a business, if you know how to run one you can usually figure out another the question is how deep are your pockets… Parker’s deal may have been for a payout over many years rather than one lump sum… If that is the case he will get a very big tax write off and the gov could find his new venture… This is the financial planner in me and its all speculation … Pure banter …

The concept is so old school, it just might work …

Fortune favors the bold… Always has…

Cheers !!!

This very thread may very well be the best advertisement for the new magazine. To that end, “you’re welcome, Bobby.” [cheers.gif]

John, Oprah is not a good example here. Oprah’s magazine is published by Hearst. She spends $0 on it and has reaped 10’s of millions. Makes (or made) a lot for Hearst, too.

Not the mag the network … Lol… Just saying when you go into different businesses the learning curve is expensive ,it took very deep pockets to make it … I think he will be fine and this mag works… It’s so retro and in a weird way his brand is retro … So now in vogue …

Cheers!!!