Offsite Wine Storage Facilities affected by Hurricane Sandy

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
A.Gillette

Offsite Wine Storage Facilities affected by Hurricane Sandy

Post #1  Postby A.Gillette » October 31st 2012, 7:38am

For those who store wine at Chelsea Wine Storage, has anyone heard whether there was damage as a result of Sandy? I've walked by several times over the last 36 hours but haven't been able to get any information.
Thanks,
A
Last edited by A.Gillette on October 31st 2012, 8:34am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex

Advertisement

John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Re: Any update on Chelsea Wine Storage?

Post #2  Postby John Morris » October 31st 2012, 7:40am

Hmmm. Hadn't thought about that. I have wine there. Duh. I'd been worrying about N.Y. Wines in Long Island City, just a block from the East River, where I have more.

Chelsea may be without power, but being underground, I won't worry about that if there's no flooding.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- variously attributed and constantly corroborated
A.Gillette

Post #3  Postby A.Gillette » October 31st 2012, 7:45am

John Morris wrote:Hmmm. Hadn't thought about that. I have wine there. Duh. I'd been worrying about N.Y. Wines in Long Island City, just a block from the East River, where I have more.

Chelsea may be without power, but being underground, I won't worry about that if there's no flooding.

I'm worried about flooding. They have a generator and even if they didn't, temps outside are in the 50's and won't change particularly quickly in the basement. But flooding is a real potential risk. I'm a block closer to the Hudson than they are. I have a feeling that 1 block is pretty crucial here, but the entire basement/car park of every building on my block, and the surrounding blocks, is underwater. So I'm hopeful, but certainly very concerned.
A
Alex
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #4  Postby John Morris » October 31st 2012, 7:51am

I guess I should be glad my locker is at chest level.

The foundation there has to be awfully thick, and it's not like there's an open driveway for water to flow down. I wonder how many potential water entry points there are?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- variously attributed and constantly corroborated
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #5  Postby John Morris » October 31st 2012, 7:55am

No answer at Chelsea.

Geoffrey Troy at New York Wine Storage/New York Wines in Long Island City says they're fine -- no flooding and they never lost power.

Alex - You might want to change the subject heading to "Chelsea and other NYC wine storage places" or some such in case other people want to contribute info.
Last edited by John Morris on October 31st 2012, 7:56am, edited 1 time in total.
A.Gillette

Post #6  Postby A.Gillette » October 31st 2012, 7:56am

John Morris wrote:and it's not like there's an open driveway for water to flow down.

That to me is likely the saving grace. Based on my pretty unscientific study (i.e., looking around), it is those wide open driveways into basements that really caused damage. I don't know whether chelsea market is built on landfill, but if so then water keep seep through the floor pretty easily once things get saturated. But that would likely only affect things lying on the floor, and I would bet that the staff did the best they could to get things to higher ground.
A
Alex
Ramon Cabrera
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #7  Postby Ramon Cabrera » October 31st 2012, 7:58am

I hope everythings safe with your wines at Chelsea.
As an aside, an email was distributed early this morning by my offsite storage at Winecellarage informing us that wines and storage are safe and sound post-Sandy.
Ramon
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #8  Postby John Morris » October 31st 2012, 8:01am

It's an ex-factory and warehouse, so it's built very well. Most basements have windows and vents -- easy routes for water.

Remember the "bathtub" around the World Trade Center? That kept the water table and Hudson River at bay since the 1960s. I think the site only flooded now because water came over the top.

Basement flooding is funny. My building is built over an old underground stream and we used to get water in the boiler room (the lowest point) periodically. But our super told me yesterday that we haven't had any water come into the basement since a luxury building ($25 million, full-floor units) was built across the street a few years ago with a deep underground garage. He figures all the water flows over there. :)
A.Gillette

Re: UPDATE: Any update on Chelsea Wine Storage?

Post #9  Postby A.Gillette » October 31st 2012, 8:34am

I just heard from Tom at Chelsea Wine Storage. All is fine.

A
Alex
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #10  Postby John Morris » October 31st 2012, 8:35am

Phew! Thanks.
Jay Miller
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #11  Postby Jay Miller » October 31st 2012, 8:37am

Yes, thank you!
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.
Ethan Abraham
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #12  Postby Ethan Abraham » October 31st 2012, 1:23pm

Also got an update that Domaine (ex-Acker) in NJ is a-ok.
Roberto Rogness

Post #13  Postby Roberto Rogness » October 31st 2012, 1:27pm

Has anyone looked into whether all the importers in NY / NJ had flooding in their warehouses yet? Should we expect the spectre of "Katrina wines" all over again?

I am assuming that the lack of electricity is not too much of a problem with the late October temps, is that correct?
ITB
É prohibido prohibir!

“U
Jay Miller
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #14  Postby Jay Miller » October 31st 2012, 1:37pm

It's mostly low 50s around here. Temps aren't an issue.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.
Brian Kennedy

Post #15  Postby Brian Kennedy » October 31st 2012, 6:08pm

Vintage wine warehouse in queens is ok too
patrick c albright
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #16  Postby patrick c albright » October 31st 2012, 6:23pm

Manhattan Wine Co ok.
Cliff Rosenberg

Post #17  Postby Cliff Rosenberg » October 31st 2012, 6:59pm

Fon du Lac in Jersey is fine
David Schliecker

Post #18  Postby David Schliecker » October 31st 2012, 9:31pm

Anyone hear anything about Wine Care on West 27th St at 11th Ave? I emailed them earlier to no response (not surprising given the circumstances) but still very curious as that is where my wine is. Anyone else hear anything?
David Schliecker

Post #19  Postby David Schliecker » November 2nd 2012, 5:48am

Another bump to see if anyone has heard anything about Wine Care. Which is actually on 28th St, not 27th. Anticipating the worst at this point as I just heard about basement flooding on 26th closer to 8th.
A.Gillette

Post #20  Postby A.Gillette » November 2nd 2012, 5:53am

David Schliecker wrote:Another bump to see if anyone has heard anything about Wine Care. Which is actually on 28th St, not 27th. Anticipating the worst at this point as I just heard about basement flooding on 26th closer to 8th.

David -
I haven't heard anything but if you post the exact address, I'm happy to walk by there this evening and take a look. I won't be able to post what I see (no power at home - only in the office) but if you PM an email address I'm happy to update you, and I should be able to post on the board when power returns to lower manhattan, which is supposed to occur this weekend.

A
Alex
David Schliecker

Post #21  Postby David Schliecker » November 2nd 2012, 6:05am

Hi Alex - The addess is 628 West 28th Street New York, NY 10001 which is between 11th and 12th. It's a long walk over so don't worry about it if its way out of the way. But I really appreciate the offer. I think I can make it down there myself on Tuesday as I work in Chelsea and believe we are returning to work that day. Basically just reading about how all the art galleries in that area had basement flooding with some losing serious artwork. I'm assuming for now that something happened to WineCare. If it did, I'd be ok with drinking labelless bottles! :)
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #22  Postby John Morris » November 2nd 2012, 7:02am

David -- I don't think you have to assume the worst. Those galleries are mostly in conventional buildings, which often have windows or other openings to the basements. WineCare, I believe, is in an old freight warehouse.

If Chelsea Wine Storage (in an old warehouse and bakery on 16th between 9th and 10th, near areas with lots of flooded basements) and N.Y. Wine Storage (an ice cream warehouse a block from the East River in Long Island City, where there was a lot of flooding) escaped without problems, I think the chances are good you're wine is OK. If you haven't heard anything, it may just be because there's no power or phone service.
Brent C l a y t o n

Post #23  Postby Brent C l a y t o n » November 2nd 2012, 7:34am

John Morris wrote:Geoffrey Troy at New York Wine Storage/New York Wines in Long Island City says they're fine -- no flooding and they never lost power.

He is close enough to the river that flooding is a concern under storm conditions, but it would have to be 100 degrees out for a week straight with no power for that place to ever get warm enough that you have to worry about temperature.
Cheers! Brent Clayton
ITB
Rumbl
A.Gillette

Post #24  Postby A.Gillette » November 2nd 2012, 8:04am

John Morris wrote:If Chelsea Wine Storage (in an old warehouse and bakery on 16th between 9th and 10th, near areas with lots of flooded basements) and N.Y. Wine Storage (an ice cream warehouse a block from the East River in Long Island City, where there was a lot of flooding) escaped without problems, I think the chances are good you're wine is OK. If you haven't heard anything, it may just be because there's no power or phone service.

But note that Chelsea Wine Storage is in Zone C, which means that there is flooding risk from a category 3 hurricane. Wine Care is in Zone A, which means that there is flooding risk from a Category 1 and that it was part of the evacuation zone for Sandy.

A
Alex
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #25  Postby John Morris » November 2nd 2012, 9:33am

A fair point. It's right by the West Side Highway, right?
David Schliecker

Post #26  Postby David Schliecker » November 2nd 2012, 9:46am

Yes. Basically a half block from the highway and water. John's point about Wine Care being an old warehouse is one of the things I'm hoping works in their favor. But I did see on the news water in the streets between 10th and 11th on 23rd St and Chelsea Piers (where my kid takes classes) is closed for at least two weeks because of flooding. But that is right on the water. So we'll see. Hopefully they can assess the situration relatively soon and send an update (phone and power pending) as the other wine facilities have.

I have to admit, it's strange to be sitting here wondering about wine storage in Chelsea given what others are clearly going through. Part of me is wants to know what's happening to my material possessions (in this case wine) but the other part is thinking "it's just a material possession." Be thankful for what we do have. This storm is certainly helping put some things in perspective for me!
Nathan Smyth

Post #27  Postby Nathan Smyth » November 2nd 2012, 12:15pm

If it's cold water, then flooding won't harm the wines themselves.

But flooding will ruin the wines' resale values at auction (since the labels will be mush).

Years and years ago, Pierre Rovani told a story about how his grandfather's cave [in Normandy? or Brittany?] was always flooding, and so they put the wines in wire cages (as I recall) in order to be able to discern (once the floodwaters had receded and the bottles had settled back down) which cache was which.
David Schliecker

Post #28  Postby David Schliecker » November 2nd 2012, 4:37pm

Posted just now from the Wine Care team... Whew!!! :)

Super Tropical Storm "Sandy" has dealt all of us in New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut a nasty blow. We at WineCare Storage have been spared most of the disaster. However, we have no Electricity, no FIOS for Internet, telephones and faxes, no Fresh Water, No Toilets, no Elevators, no Heat and some serious damage to our offices and computers. Our employees are having a difficult and long time getting to work.

We are in the laborious process of repairing everything. How long it will take depends on a myriad of factors mostly other people and services.

The good news is that your wine is in tact and being safely stored at a perfect temperature of 55 degrees.

At this time, WCS cannot give you the excellent service to which you have become accustomed. It will be weeks before we can be completely up and running, but we will complete the task. We will stay in touch with updates. Please call 212-594-9590 with any questions and for information. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

However, we cannot make deliveries and/or accept deliveries at this time. Requests for wine, will be lined up in the order they are received with First In/First Out.

Please be patient; we are doing everything we can; working tirelessly around the clock. We are very lucky compared to millions of our neighbors many of whom we have been trying to help.

Thank you for your understanding and loyalty.

With warmest regards,
The Entire WineCare Team
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #29  Postby John Morris » November 2nd 2012, 9:17pm

Very glad to hear that!

FYI, someone passed on an e-mail from Tom at Chelsea, who said there was a little water around the door and the kitchen, but that was all.
jed.benedict

Post #30  Postby jed.benedict » November 8th 2012, 10:26am

This is my first post- so bear with me..

First - I'm glad to hear that so many people's wine is okay at Chelsea and other storage facilities in the New York/New Jersey area. We've been in touch with some of our competitors as well as retailers and distributors and have gotten word that their employees and families are generally okay, and they are just dealing with the damage.

Likewise - I'm glad to hear that you all are fortunate that this disaster happened in the fall and the outdoor temperatures are still good for storing wine. I fear what may have happened to everybody's collections if there was an extended power outage and fuel shortage in the dead of summer.

So I'm clear about who I am and why I'm posting - I own and manage Horse Ridge Cellars - a wine storage facility in Stafford Springs, Connecticut. Fortunately, the storm did not impact us as heavily as it did just south of us and we didn't lose power for more than a couple hours. So for our NY, NJ and CT clients who are wondering - your wine is still safe here.

For those who don't know about Horse Ridge Cellars - we are underground wine storage facility, originally designed as a converted bomb shelter built to withstand nuclear attacks during the Cold War. We are built into the side of a hill which enables us to maintain constant 55 degree temperatures year round even if our heating and cooling systems are down.

I want to be sensitive to everybody who have been affected by this disaster, but I also want to be sure that everyone knows about other options for wine storage. At the end of the day, our families and loved ones come before wine, but sometimes it helps to have more piece of mind about your investment.
Jed Benedict - Proprietor
Horse
Michael Sopher
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #31  Postby Michael Sopher » November 10th 2012, 1:24pm

This - from Winecare today A few troubling bits in here....

WineCare finally has e-mail, but our telephones are still not working. Please communicate with me via email and that address is listed below.

By order of our landlord, who has to fully clean and restore all the utilities in the entire basement, ALL of the wine we are storing has to be removed from the cellars and will be taken up into special rooms in the building. WineCare will maintain a 55 degree climate for the wine. Once the restoration is complete, each case of wine will be relocated into our "new" cellars and available to you.

Our inventory is based on a computerized system which is completely backed-up. Until that system and its hardware are functional, it is impossible for WineCare to locate any client's wines. While the identity and contents of each and every case is known to us, WineCare will not be able to locate a specific case until the wine is relocated back into our cellars.

It will be many weeks before this monumental task is complete. We are working 7 days a week and will be up and running as soon as we can.

We know that you have great concern about your wine and the value of it. We believe that at least 95% of the wine we are storing is fine. Please bear with us, and understand that everything humanly possible is being done to clear up this huge interruption at WineCare caused by the Sandy catastrophe.
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #32  Postby John Morris » November 10th 2012, 1:49pm

Michael Sopher wrote:We believe that at least 95% of the wine we are storing is fine.

In my business (journalism), that's called burying the lede!
David Schliecker

Post #33  Postby David Schliecker » November 10th 2012, 3:45pm

I got the same email and it too made me very nervous. I'm sure a lot of people, me included, are wondering if they fall in that 5%. Heck, my entire collection with then could have been whipped out and and I'm sure I'm not even close to 5% of their inventory. Who knows?!?

The time it takes to reestablish their relocate their wines I'm fine with. I would be nice if they are up by the holidays but whatever time it takes is fine with me. I can also live with upstairs storage for a period of time.

What's also a little troubling is that the first email we got from Wine Care stated that "The good news is that your wine is in tact and being safely stored at a perfect temperature of 55 degrees."

I've certainly gone from concern to relief to concern again. It's the not knowing for sure that is VERY unnerving.

I hope they are more forthcoming in specifics soon.
David Schliecker

Post #34  Postby David Schliecker » November 10th 2012, 5:11pm

A little more detail. Maybe not the detail I was hoping for but something. And I should clarify that I’m curious about the overall 5% and in no way was I implying that they look into my specific collection there.
My email to them…

------------

Thanks for the update. It's good to know things are being taken care of. I'm curious as to what you mean by "We believe that at least 95% of the wine we are storing is fine." Could you provide a little more detail on what might have happened to the other 5%?

Thanks,
Dave Schliecker

Their response
----------------------
Hi David,

We have 10's of 1,000's of cases which are being reviewed. This is a monumental project and will take time. We apologize, but there is no way that we can stop our operation in order to inspect each bottle/case and report the assessment at this stage. The chances that your collection has been effected are very small.

We have a very sophisticated and reliable system in place that we expect will be of service.
Thank you for your understanding and patience,

The entire WineCare team
Michael Sopher
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #35  Postby Michael Sopher » November 10th 2012, 5:52pm

I take it as some stuff got wet. If it is your cases you dont care about the 95%. If not we are 100% relieved... But wont know for weeks.

Return to Wine Talk