TN: Blind Grenache

BLIND GRENACHE - Wave 2700 (4/12/2012)

• 2009 Sine Qua Non Packin’ Rosy - USA, California, Central Coast
    Had the rose as a starter, non-blind. Great strawberry profile, nice acidity, well balanced and great mouthfeel. I would seek this out again (93 pts.)
  • 2009 Domaine Le Colombier Vacqueyras Vieilles Vignes - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Vacqueyras
    Wine # 1 Blind: Floral, light nose, not a lot of tannins, somewhat one dimensional. Some nice minerality, tart red fruit that gained some weight in glass. I had guessed Spain. (88 pts.)
  • 2003 Clarendon Hills Grenache Old Vines Romas - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, Clarendon
    Wine #2 Blind: Blueberry pie on nose and mouth with good acidity. I guessed Aussie. Almost Shiraz like. (87 pts.)
  • 2006 Domaine de la Janasse Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Chaupin - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Wine #3 Bllnd: Big structure, highly extracted fruit, cherry and kirsch. Spicy and complex with Provencial spices. This wine was a bruiser and I had guessed somewhere in Paso Robles. (92 pts.)
  • 2006 Betts & Scholl Grenache Chronique - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley
    #4 Blind: Very nice mouthfeel, brilliant aromatics, silky and elegant black and blue fruit. I had guessed Europe. For me, the surprise of the night. (94 pts.)
  • 2008 Alban Vineyards Grenache Alban Estate Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley
    Blind #5: Garnet color, smooth mouthfeel, floral nose, fruit forward, extracted. Has some blueberry and kirsch overtones. I had guessed Alban and was right. Once again, John Alban is a genius. The wine was well integrated with no apparent heat. Lick smacking good with plenty of tannic structure for long term aging. Everyone’s WOTN. (96 pts.)
  • 2007 Bodegas San Alejandro Garnacha Calatayud Las Rocas - Spain, Aragón, Calatayud
    Blind #6: Green herbal nose, definitely not US. Olive tapanade and somewhat oily. Fruit hidden by acidic finish. (85 pts.)
  • 2008 Flux Red Table Wine - USA, California
    Blind #7: Easy to drink on entry. I guessed Cali. Very hot in mid-palate. Wine was ok, not great. Too much acid. I wouldn’t seek it out. Out of balance. (86 pts.)
  • 2007 R Wines Grenache Chateau Chateau David And Goliath Mclaren Flat - Australia, South Australia, McLaren Vale / Barossa
    Blind # 8: Thin, watery, not my style. Dump bucket quickly. (83 pts.)
  • 2009 Outpost Grenache - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain
    Blind #9: Tasted like a heavy rose with lots of heat. Red fruit underneath the heat. I might have been generous with my score as it was the last blind wine of the night. (90 pts.)
  • 2008 Bodegas Alto Moncayo Campo de Borja - Spain, Aragón, Campo de Borja
    Non-Blind: red and black fruit with some dark cocoa on finish. Had a bit off coffee ground on finish as well. Nice bold, full bodied wine. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Rich,

Thanks for posting your notes on what seems like a great evening of wines! I am a huge fan of Grenache and it seems you had a wide variety of styles on display - a great way to truly compare and contrast the grape. It’s interesting that the Aussie wines didn’t ‘perform better’ with the exception of the Betts and Scholl, but when put in a tasting with wines from other regions, they certainly may stand out, and perhaps not for the better. The Alban sounds great, and it’s amazing that oak wasn’t mentioned as I see that this sees nearly 3 years in 50% new oak. The only Alban Grenaches I have had have needed considerable bottle and air time to allow the oak to take a ‘back seat’ and let the aromatics of the variety shine through . . . .

Cheers!

Agree with Larry, some interesting notes on a variety of styles. Any idea which of the wines may have been 100% Grenache or close to it?

Ken,

I know the Janasse was - looked it up to make sure . . . Not sure of the rest of them (-:

Thanks, Larry. I suspected that the Janasse was 100%, and just looked it up a little while ago myself. Vines planted in 1912. I think Outpost is supposed to be 100% Grenache but not positive. Haven’t kept up with Alban but pretty sure that older vintages had a fair percentage of Syrah blended in. Too lazy to look up the info on the others though…