Chenin Blanc must die

Ok, so maybe that is a little strong. But after reading the NY Times article that is kind of how I feel. I rarely find a wine from this grape that I like. And I get tired of being told how much and why I should like them. It certianly didn’t change after reading this, and I am more convinced. Even the panel seemed to struggle with the wine. And the prices for some of them are a non-starter for many. Yes I do run into a Vouvray or a Savennieres that I like every so often. But I just don’t like them enough to buy. Maybe it’s the wine or the price or both. I guess as a wine person I am supposed to like something like this, the little grape, kind of an underdog. But for me I have enough projects to work on. I am trying to get everyone I know to drink more Lugana and Pigato.

http://events.nytimes.com/2010/05/26/dining/reviews/26wine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are there any wines you actually like?

In general?

Huet makes some of the most reasonably priced great wines in the entire world. Whether you like them or not does not change the facts.

I don’t care. I have never seen a written note by you that was even the slightest bit positive about any wine.

A bit strong perhaps, but more for me. At least the Loire varieties which are some of my favorites in the wine world.

Really? Where should I start? Do you want grapes, wine or producer?

Here’s my favorite… from Long Island. 2008 Paumanok Chenin Blanc CT 91

You must be trying to derail my thread. Last night I had three pretty nice bottles.
1 Dal Maso Gambellara
2 Broadbent Vinho Verde
3 Chateau Peyrassol Rose

Long Island? They do make some nice whites there, but I am not sure that even LI can make a respectable wine from Chenin.

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] That is all you ever do - try to derail threads.

I’m with Loren – more for us, without the prices going through the roof.

No need to die !

Chenin blanc is a very special grape - it is not for everyone and not for everyday …

… it can produce extraordinary wines sweet as well as dry ones - and also sparkling wines are an excellent cheap alternative for Champagne!

One problem is that there are (as everywhere) a lot of mediocre wines produced … but production nevertheless needs labourful efforts - and the wines therefore cannot be too cheap …

The good news is that production is rather tiny - compared to other regions - and the top-wines are usually sold … and a good lot is consumed locally …

I admit the quantity of Chenin blanc in my cellar is not huge - but I don´t wanna miss the fine bottles of Savennieres, Vouvray, Coteaux du Layon, Saumur, Quarts de Chaume etc.

If the quality is still improving I don´t see any problems in the future.

Savennieres is one of the more “difficult” Chenin appellations. Many styles, some oxidized (Joly, e’Pire) so of course there will be variability. I look at Savennieres as I look at say, oxidized savagnin or chardonnay from the Jura, Not for everyone, but I am glad it exists, as it makes the wine world a hell of a more interesting place. For the record I like both, but am actually more picky about Savennieres as there are so few good producers.

Thanks for the link. However, my reading of the tasting report was different. The panel didn’t seem to struggle with the wine, but did recommend extended decanting, serving with a meal, and realizing that the Chenin Blancs were often misunderstood and required some thought. The local did lament that she thought more could be done with the terroir. In fact, the article seemed to be encouraging you to continue your exploration of Chenin Blanc because good ones are out there. Quite of a few of the panel’s tasting notes were quite complimentary and Asimov’s closing sentence was that recommending the wines was a pleasure.

Anyway, a couple of very nice Chenin Blancs from this neck of the woods are Casa Nuestra Chenin Blanc Old Vines Home Vineyard and Milat Chenin Blanc Estate Bottled.

So? Don’t fricking buy or drink them if you don’t like them. You’re this way about Burgs too. I’m with Howard here - wtf is your issue? No one likes everything. Buy and drink what you like, don’ buy or drink what you don’t like. But telling people who do like Chenins or Burgs or whatever that the wine sucks is asinine. Your ability to drink what you want isn’t at all affected by the existence of Chenin, Burgundy or anything else…

I’ll take a good Chenin (Loire, South Africa) over Chardonnay any day (unless it’s a great BdB Champagne).

Re the excellent value sparklers, try the Domaine des Rocher des Violettes Petillant Naturel. Under $25 and fantastic. And, it’s hard to beat Villiera Chenin Blanc from SA as a fantastic value (well under $15) seafood wine…

+1,
actually isn’t the reverse happening in South Africa where they tear up great old chenin blanc to plant more currently fashionable grapes.

I totally agree. And why hate on a wine just because you don’t care for it, or just don’t get it? I really don’t care for raisiny late-harvest zins, but I found that the best way to deal with that is to simply not buy them.

Here are some great chenin’s:

• 2006 Richard Leroy Anjou Les Noëls de Montbenault - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou (3/22/2010)
    Wonderfully rich bottle of chenin. There is a nice amount of tropical fruits; pineapple especially. There is a subtle sweetness to this wine that comes across in a very elegant manner. There’s no flabbiness on this wine, and the back end has great acidity. I would be very interested to revist this wine every 3 years for the next 15 years, as aged Chenin can exhibit some of the most exciting aged whites in the world. Great bottle. (92 pts.)
  • 1990 Soulez Quarts de Chaume L’Amandier - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Quarts de Chaume (3/12/2010) 94 pts.
  • 2005 Domaine des Baumard Savennières Clos du Papillon - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières (2/7/2010)
    29th Birthday Celebration; 2/5/2010-2/7/2010 (my apartment): My first glass was too cold…and had a nasty metallic aftertaste. Once the bottle was opened longer, it began to really develop into a stunning bottle of Chenin. At one point I felt like the bottle began to take on bordeaux blanc type characteristics…with diesel, dandilions, and pineapples. Mouthfeel is great with this bottle, and I think this can last for another 10 years! (92 pts.)
  • 2005 Domaine des Baumard Coteaux du Layon Cuvée Le Paon - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Coteaux du Layon (12/30/2009)
    December 30th (Washington, DC): Stunning bottle of chenin blanc. Aromatics are off the charts with apricots and honeycomb. The balance of this wine is amazing - it has a great sweetness, but the acidity keeps this bottle in check. I think this bottle can be the ideal desert wine, but could also do a number on many main courses. Seek out this stunning bottle. (95 pts.)
  • 2005 Domaine des Baumard Coteaux du Layon Cuvée Le Paon - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Coteaux du Layon (11/11/2009)
    JC, Blake and I Drink Wine (my apartment): Amazing depth on the nose of caramel, apricots, and kerosene. Mouthfeel of this wine is outrageous - totally coating my palate. The tropical fruits explode here, with pineapple, guava, passion fruit, mango and banana intermixed with caramel and white chocolate notes. Extrdoinarily sweet, but with extreme finesse and balance. Stunning bottle. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker