Big Bedrock reviews by Parker

Lost in the cab scores from Parker that were released yesterday were some fantastic scores for Bedrock. Parker was particularly fond of the LaLa - type Rhone blends that Morgan experimented with in 2012 ( Bedrock proprietary red Weil Vineyard Exposition 1,2, and 3), bestowing a near perfect score of 99 to one of them.

Congrats to the Bedrock team!! Couldn’t be happier for their success!

Wow, good on them!

Congrats to Morgan and Chris. I haven’t tried any of the '11 yet. Are the '12 in the next release, which I guess is soon.

Parker reviewed 2014’s (in addition to those 2012 vintage experimental wines). The scores are fairly high except for the ones that might be AFWE-styled (to Parker); Evanghelo, Limerick Lane, Sherman’s Gold (Amador Co.). FWIW, his notes on said wines sound great to me!

I rarely follow scores, but am not surprised. Have a bunch of Bedrock and every one, so far, has been terrific. I have those Weill bottles and have wondered about them. They are still 4-5 years in my future.

Nice going, Morgan and Chris.

My copy has not arrived yet. Are the Bedrock scores in the print version, or the online version, or both?
Thanks,
Phil Jones

I’m not a subscriber, so I can’t look.

Have the 12’s been offered yet ? Have the 11’s but dont recall passing on 12

The 12’s have not been offered. I wasn’t sure if this ‘experiment’ was something Morgan was planning to continue.

From last winter’s release notes:

2011 Weill Vineyard Exposition Project Trio: … I am extremely pleased with the results and have repeated the exercise every subsequent year

Thanks Mark for that good news confirmation!!

I, too, have the 2011 Exposition set of three but don’t remember seeing an offer on the 2012s.

I’m not the cops or ethics police… What are the #'s?

ratings for the 2012 exposition set were 99,97,96 respectively

What is an exposition set?

I expect to see them with the winter release which should be out soon.

From last winter’s release (11/11):

2011 Weill Vineyard Exposition Project Trio: I have been impatient to release this one for a while but the very definition of the project requires temporal restraint. Ever since doing the Hudson Vineyard “Three Ways” experiment in 2008 I have been wanting to do an experiment in a similar vein but roughly following the examples of the interesting “LaLa” wines of Cote Rotie. When we found Weill Vineyard I realized I had found the spot. Planted at the mouth of Sonoma Valley (technically in the sprawling Sonoma Coast AVA) the vineyard, planted by vineyard guru Daniel Roberts (think Marcassin, Blue Side Ridge, most Ramey Vineyards, etc.), is a jumble of Syrah clones, exposures, and soils along with a good chunk of Viognier. For the project we took three distinct clonal and exposure expressions and vinified them quite differently. The first, done entirely with clone 470 from a steep east facing block, was vinified with 100% whole-cluster. The second, from a south-east facing block of clone 877, was vinified with 50% whole cluster and 8% Viognier. The third, from a due south block of both 877 and 470, was done with 10% whole-cluster and cofermented with 16% Viognier. All of the lots spent three years, unracked, in a combination of large and standard format barrels. It was pretty remarkable seeing the transformation of these three wines and how their individuality grew with extended time untouched in barrel. I am extremely pleased with the results and have repeated the exercise every subsequent year. Between three and four barrels were made of each wine so quantities are very limited.

what Mark said

Jeb took one for the team and did a tasting of all 3 of the 2011’s which you can read here: http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1636230#p1636230

Just got the email: Winter Release on Tuesday, November 10th