Coravin demo

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Nick Ryan
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #176  Postby Nick Ryan » August 8th 2013, 8:57pm

Nick Ryan wrote:Hmm, I hope it's OK to leave the Coravin attached overnight, I figured why remove it since I'm drinking the second half tomorrow.

Actually I'm a moron, if I'm planning to drink the rest tomorrow I'll just be popping the cork and pouring it normally, no need to have the Coravin attached at all!

Advertisement

Nick Ryan
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #177  Postby Nick Ryan » August 8th 2013, 9:03pm

OK, Coravin removed, you can see the "dimple". Nothing leaking, everything working out great so far.
Al Osterheld

Coravin demo

Post #178  Postby Al Osterheld » August 8th 2013, 9:09pm

I am not interested in drinking 3 oz's of my best bottles every year or so. I would rather open my best bottles for my family/friends when I think they are ready and take a chance.

Yes, that's the main reason I don't have any plans to buy one.

-Al
Larry Link

Coravin demo

Post #179  Postby Larry Link » August 8th 2013, 10:06pm

Greg Smith wrote:This whole discussion blows me away. I am not interested in drinking 3 oz's of my best bottles every year or so. I would rather open my best bottles for my family/friends when I think they are ready and take a chance. Sometimes you choose poorly but with good wine, you usually choose wisely. Whatever happened to opening great bottles of wine when u have the right group of friends to enjoy them. I have no interest in sipping my best wine in private

I still plan on opening bottles with friends, but realistically that happens once or twice every 2 weeks or so. This is a game changer for the other nights. For example if my wife and I make a nice dinner at home with cracked crab as an appetizer and then follow that with a steak, I can now pour a glass of Chablis to pair with the crab and a glass of nice mature Red Burgundy to go with the steak. We rarely finish a single bottle between us let alone 2 in one evening. Now with the Coravin I can match the wine to our food without wasting wine or letting it oxidize in the fridge after opening.
Nick Ryan
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #180  Postby Nick Ryan » August 8th 2013, 10:19pm

Nick Ryan wrote:Just got mine in the mail today, first victim will be a 2000 Mongeard-Mugneret Grands-Echezeaux.

And a victim it was... spoiled, tastes like weedkiller. Dammit. Of course, not the fault of the Coravin. Off to something else...
J. Galang

Coravin demo

Post #181  Postby J. Galang » August 8th 2013, 10:21pm

Greg Smith wrote:This whole discussion blows me away. I am not interested in drinking 3 oz's of my best bottles every year or so. I would rather open my best bottles for my family/friends when I think they are ready and take a chance. Sometimes you choose poorly but with good wine, you usually choose wisely. Whatever happened to opening great bottles of wine when u have the right group of friends to enjoy them. I have no interest in sipping my best wine in private

Definitely understand your point, but I think a lot of people will also use the Coravin to improve the quality of their everyday drinking wines. Just a theory, but instead of just opening $15 bottles because of the fear of the wine going to waste since not enough people will drink it at one time, people might be less afraid to "coravin" a $30-$50 wine since they are confident that it will last for another few weeks/months intact. Personally I probably will rarely use Coravin on my best bottles ($100 up) since I will save those bottles for special occasions and open with family and friends. But again, one person's "special" bottle is another man's everyday drinker.....
Joel Galang
J. Galang

Coravin demo

Post #182  Postby J. Galang » August 8th 2013, 10:24pm

Nick Ryan wrote:
Nick Ryan wrote:Just got mine in the mail today, first victim will be a 2000 Mongeard-Mugneret Grands-Echezeaux.

And a victim it was... spoiled, tastes like weedkiller. Dammit. Of course, not the fault of the Coravin. Off to something else...

Since you have nothing to lose (except maybe cellar space), and have already spent the argon gas, why not keep the bottle for another 2 years and see what happens to it....
Joel Galang
Otto Dobre
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #183  Postby Otto Dobre » August 8th 2013, 10:32pm

I would be curious to find out how successful people are at returning bad bottles of a wine that was not "opened".

I'll probably order one soon. It's not that expensive, and if it works, it's a great money saver.
Nick Ryan
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #184  Postby Nick Ryan » August 8th 2013, 10:45pm

J. Galang wrote:
Nick Ryan wrote:

Since you have nothing to lose (except maybe cellar space), and have already spent the argon gas, why not keep the bottle for another 2 years and see what happens to it....

Hmm, interesting proposition. I will indeed do so, I haven't yet discarded the unopened bottle.
Otto Dobre
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #185  Postby Otto Dobre » August 8th 2013, 11:24pm

Order placed, very excited about this product. Imagine, drinking my sweets one glass at a time. Or evaluating a bottle without having to finish off. Will post notes.
Robert Alfert, Jr.
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #186  Postby Robert Alfert, Jr. » August 9th 2013, 12:54am

Charlie Fu wrote:
Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:Jeez. Did any Berserker NOT buy one?? Am I the only one left?

I just heard of this thing after seeing Jeff's post. And over the time it took me to read this thread and watch the website videos, I almost killed a bottle of Cote de Brouilly. So I guess I don't need it . . . .

[wow.gif]

some ppl are alcoholics and some aren't neener neener. Strongly considered buying one. Bought an immersion circulator instead. I eat more than I drink :D

I must be a total Neanderthal as I don't even know what an "immersion circular" is!

I'm with the minority on this one, as well stated by Greg. I just don't see myself slinkering into the dark recesses of my storage to poke away at my wine like a vampire, drawing the sacred blood several ounces at a time. No offense meant! [wow.gif]

That said, I can virtually guarantee that my wife will see this gadget somewhere, buy it for me for Xmas like she does every year with a new-fangled gadget (usually wine or coffee, once a ridiculous massage chair), and I have to open it with glee and excitement, only to exhort later that I don't like it, it doesn't work, take it back. . . . It's a running theme, mostly cause I'm a pain in the arse like that . . . . [wow.gif]

EDit: Come to think of it, my wife has now gotten me three massage-chair/massage chair-related gadgets . . . .
Bill Moore
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #187  Postby Bill Moore » August 9th 2013, 5:43am

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:
That said, I can virtually guarantee that my wife will see this gadget somewhere, buy it for me for Xmas like she does every year with a new-fangled gadget (usually wine or coffee, once a ridiculous massage chair), and I have to open it with glee and excitement, only to exhort later that I don't like it, it doesn't work, take it back. . . . It's a running theme, mostly cause I'm a pain in the arse like that . . . . [wow.gif]

EDit: Come to think of it, my wife has now gotten me three massage-chair/massage chair-related gadgets . . . .

Three massage-related gadgets?! That's some unsubtle self-gifting. When she gets you Josh Groban tickets for Christmas, it's time to throw the flag....
CT handle: Billigan
Robert Alfert, Jr.
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #188  Postby Robert Alfert, Jr. » August 9th 2013, 5:47am

LOL, Bill. Now bear in mind, that's over 3 different Xmas. Yea Groban and Michael Buble would be the coup de gras.

I showed her the Coravin this morning as a preemptive strike. Told her that Vacu-vin she stuffed in my stocking a few years back, along with the air-pump cork remover, which I then stuck in a drawer, work perfectly . . . .
Kevin Shin
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #189  Postby Kevin Shin » August 9th 2013, 8:00am

So far, Talbot Mag – initial pour was a bit tight. Last night, 24 hours later, a generous pour that showed nicely. IMO, it is better to have a generous pour and leave in your cellar for an hour before drinking.

I also tried the 83 Chave which was a bit thin and the 01 Rouget Echezeaux a bit reductive last night.
scott c l a f f e e
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #190  Postby scott c l a f f e e » August 9th 2013, 8:02am

In thinking about this more, I've decided the best use of this, for me, might be on dessert wines. We almost never open Sauternes, German BA/TBA, etc. because we would only want a glass at the end of a meal and wouldn't want to "waste" opening a whole bottle. I usually buy half bottles because of this (and still never think to open them anyway!), but I can definitely see now keeping a 750mL of Sauternes around the house for those occasions when we want a glass.
"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

Terroirist.com
dougwilder

Coravin demo

Post #191  Postby dougwilder » August 9th 2013, 2:45pm

Roy Piper wrote:Just think how this will change auctions! Every bottle of old wine can now be tasted by someone before bought or sold at auction. And also, I talked to some Napa movers and shakers who might use it for good buyers who can now try older bottles while on tour. So many possibilities.

There is a strong possibility I add these to the welcome kit alng with the other gear for the advanced subscription level.
napa|sonoma|sf|pdwr.co|itb
Matt Snow

Coravin demo

Post #192  Postby Matt Snow » August 9th 2013, 3:28pm

Al Osterheld wrote:If you hermetically sealed a wine bottle, the oxygen in the head space would disappear because it would be absorbed into the wine and make oxidation products. The reason why a normal cork-finished bottle continues to age through oxidation reactions is that the cork continues to allow more oxygen to slowly enter the head space. That will continue to happen with a bottle that has been Coravin'ed.

Argon is heavier than oxygen, but that only matters in the short term. After a relatively short time, diffusion causes all of the gases in the head space to be almost uniformly distributed throughout the head space (the differences from a uniform distribution in a wine bottle would be miniscule). Basically, the differences in weight of the different molecules aren't very large compared to the collisions that knock the molecules around. So, any oxygen in the head space will reach the surface of the wine where it can be absorbed and oxidize the wine.

A practical observation of the phenomenon that Al describes: If the heavier gas always sank to the bottom, we would have a hard time breathing at sea level, as the lowest 500 feet or so of Earth's atmosphere would be all argon (and other gases heavier than oxygen). It is because gases diffuse that the air we breathe contains relatively constant proportions of oxygen, nitrogen, CO2, etc.

Also worth repeating an observation that Al made further upthread: although the use of the Coravin may not significantly affect the volume of oxygen that contacts the wine, it does (depending on how much you empty the bottle) significantly reduce the volume of wine that is in contact with the same amount of oxygen. Assuming a constant oxygen ingress, it would be reasonable to expect a bottle half of which has been emptied by Coravin to age faster than an untouched bottle. It is unclear to me whether this would be similar to the difference between aging a half-bottle versus a full bottle or might be more pronounced because the oxygen exposure would be spread over a greater surface area.

-- Matt
François Audouze

Location: near Paris (picture : Tokay 1819 not Hungarian drunk in May 2010)

Coravin demo

Post #193  Postby François Audouze » August 9th 2013, 3:49pm

I am sorry, I have not read the six pages of this discussion, but I have seen the video of Coravin.

I must say that it is completely opposite to my personal philosophy for wine enjoying.

I accept to be considered as old fashioned, but here are some comments :

- up to now, every bottle which was opened for a meal was finished at the end of the meal.
- so, I have no stress to consider keeping a remaining part of a bottle because I am used to practice a global consumption of every bottle
- the idea to take a glass from a bottle and to keep a remaining bottle in my cellar with an awful level does not pleases me
- with very old wines, I am sure that all this procedure will change the taste of the remaining liquid, due to all the moves made. It is not scientific, it is a strong belief
- this opens the door to counterfeiting
- what are your friends going to think if you serve a bottle half empty ?
- would you accept to be served with a foie gras box, which was emptied with the Coravin method, with only half of foie gras remaining ?
- if the glass that you poured does not please you, what do you do with the rest ? Your friends will tell you : no problem, open something else !

I consider Coravin as a great danger and as an enemy to all what I have learned : respect for the bottle, respect for the liquid, respect for the ceremony.

So, I say good luck for the ones who will decide to use this device which I consider as terrifying.
Kind regards

François Audouze
PeterJ
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #194  Postby PeterJ » August 9th 2013, 4:13pm

Matt Snow wrote:

Also worth repeating an observation that Al made further upthread: although the use of the Coravin may not significantly affect the volume of oxygen that contacts the wine, it does (depending on how much you empty the bottle) significantly reduce the volume of wine that is in contact with the same amount of oxygen. Assuming a constant oxygen ingress, it would be reasonable to expect a bottle half of which has been emptied by Coravin to age faster than an untouched bottle. It is unclear to me whether this would be similar to the difference between aging a half-bottle versus a full bottle or might be more pronounced because the oxygen exposure would be spread over a greater surface area.

-- Matt

Just wondering how you are concluding that the amount of oxygen in the 'empty' space is going to have any increased impact on the wine as the level goes down. I think I can see the oxygen-to-surface-area issue while the wine level is still at the neck and then the shoulders of the bottle, but after that in a Bordeaux bottle????? Also................... if the oxygen mixes with the injected Argon, as Al has said here and I've been told by gas scientists, wouldn't that proportionately lessen the effect of the oxygen as more and more Argon is injected? Al seems to be the closest thing we have here to the science of this. Hopefully he can comment as well. I'm applying logic mixed with a dangerously low level of science info.
Peter J@ckel
Ex-Retailer
VinAssuredotcom
Andrew W.
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #195  Postby Andrew W. » August 10th 2013, 6:36am

Can you put the needle into the 'head space' and replace the oxygen with argon??? No guess what this would do to aging....
A. 'Wy.man'
Peter Kleban
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #196  Postby Peter Kleban » August 10th 2013, 7:59am

alan weinberg wrote:so there are no concerns about bacterial or fungal contamination with resultant wine spoilage by passing a needle through capsule and cork into a bottle?
alan

Good question. Especially if you let the wine age for a long time afterwards.
Bob Wood:
"Peter...your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY '13-14:
Kumeu R Chard Estate & Hunting Hill '09
Reyneke Res Shiraz '03
St Innocent PN '09 Momtazi
“M” '09 Coll Privée Couillaud Muscadet
Ch Musar '94
Métras Moulin-à-Vent '11
Ampeau Volnay-Santenots 1er Cru '99
Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier '08
Lapierre MMVII Morgon
Peter Kleban
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #197  Postby Peter Kleban » August 10th 2013, 8:00am

Nick Ryan wrote:Image

OK, Coravin removed, you can see the "dimple". Nothing leaking, everything working out great so far.

Why does that remind me of a laparoscopic incision? ;-) (and I'm not even a [real] Doctor)
Bob Wood:
"Peter...your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY '13-14:
Kumeu R Chard Estate & Hunting Hill '09
Reyneke Res Shiraz '03
St Innocent PN '09 Momtazi
“M” '09 Coll Privée Couillaud Muscadet
Ch Musar '94
Métras Moulin-à-Vent '11
Ampeau Volnay-Santenots 1er Cru '99
Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier '08
Lapierre MMVII Morgon
Chris Freemott

Coravin demo

Post #198  Postby Chris Freemott » August 10th 2013, 8:42am

My kid brother, who is the GM for a high-end country club company (Kemper Sports) just picked one up. I think he's going to use this to do a better by the glass service. Also, his club (and many clubs) have lockers his members rent to store their own bottles of wine. This product may allow him and them to change how they drink their wine at dinners at the club and allow for the spanning of multiple meals from the same bottle. I would assume a 'commercial' version of this product wouldn't be too far behind. But, country clubs tend to have crappy wine lists as they cannot afford to purchase wine and hold on to it and justify the cap-ex. If this product proves successful and reliable, my brother can immediately see expanding his locker services to members so they can bring more bottles in. His margins may suffer but he can deploy his capital more effectively and increase his fee income by charging $2.00 a glass or more for extraction. MANY of his members tend to have a 'husband only drinks red and eats steak and wife only eats salad and drinks chardonnay' mentality so wine consumption as a whole is actually lower than it would be due to this. The coravin could be a big hit.
gwagner

Coravin demo

Post #199  Postby gwagner » August 10th 2013, 4:06pm

Anyone know where the needle unclog tool is? I couldn't find it. Is it loosely shipped in the box?
Gerald
Todd Hamina
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #200  Postby Todd Hamina » August 10th 2013, 10:22pm

The genius of this is that more great wines will end up opened. Sure, you can have a tease but ultimately I believe the wine will pour.

When Monsanto modified plants to handle toxins the jist was less herbicides in the long run, but that's trended quite differently.
Paul Savage
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #201  Postby Paul Savage » August 11th 2013, 12:19am

A possible problem that I can see is the lack of proper and slow aeration that older wines definitely need to show well... at all...! Straight from the bottle is NOT the way to drink any really fine wine, though maybe some California wines might not be too offended. :-)

And regulation of a good cool serving temperature, if one tries to "aerate" the wine by just leaving it in the glass for a significant amount of time - i.e. the glass and its contents will quickly warm to room temperature.

Now with younger and/or more robust wines the rapid aeration in the glass might not be a bad thing. I don't have much experience with this genre! :-)
Jeremy Holmes
(Online)

Coravin demo

Post #202  Postby Jeremy Holmes » August 11th 2013, 1:16am

We’ve already had enough counterfeit wine thrown into auction by pricks like Rudy, now we have to keep our eyes out for pricks on the capsule!
ITB
Alan C h a n

Coravin demo

Post #203  Postby Alan C h a n » August 11th 2013, 5:02am

Anyone hit a corked wine with the Coravin yet? Did it taint your next wine at all? Or how do you clean the needle of TCA? (sorry if this is already answered upthread, don't wanna wade through all pages)
The Amateur Wino wine blog
Lee Garth

Coravin demo

Post #204  Postby Lee Garth » August 11th 2013, 10:29pm

Alan C h a n wrote:Anyone hit a corked wine with the Coravin yet? Did it taint your next wine at all? Or how do you clean the needle of TCA? (sorry if this is already answered upthread, don't wanna wade through all pages)

Yes, I hit a majorly corked pinot noir with my 2e coravin capsule. Yes, I did wash the system, per the instructions, and no taint was observed in the next wine. Graet too. !
Jay Miller
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #205  Postby Jay Miller » August 12th 2013, 9:00am

Michael Giammalvo wrote:I am holding out for some longer term berserker reviews. That being said, I have no patience and will probably jump in sooner.

I was intending to wait and make this my tax refund "toy" purchase assuming the reviews continue positive. Who knows how long that resolve will hold.

It might only last through dumping another 2 half full bottles of wine that have been sitting in the fridge down the sink...

As others have said the really good wines get opened with a group of friends. But there are plenty of nights where Arnold and I only want a glass of wine apiece and this makes that possible. And as mentioned it's ideal for Sauternes and other sweeties. OMG, port! I can finally start buying more vintage port.

Which raises the question - has anyone had problems using this with old crumbly corks? Also, how does it interact with wines that have thrown a lot of sediment?
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.
Michael Giammalvo
SubscriberSubscriber

Coravin demo

Post #206  Postby Michael Giammalvo » August 12th 2013, 9:04am

Jay - was going to hold out as well. However, caved like a stack of cards this morning...
Robert Pollard-Smith
SubscriberSubscriber
7th Dan Thread Killer

Coravin demo

Post #207  Postby Robert Pollard-Smith » August 12th 2013, 10:36am

Jay Miller wrote:I was intending to wait and make this my tax refund "toy" purchase assuming the reviews continue positive. Who knows how long that resolve will hold.

It might only last through dumping another 2 half full bottles of wine that have been sitting in the fridge down the sink...

As others have said the really good wines get opened with a group of friends. But there are plenty of nights where Arnold and I only want a glass of wine apiece and this makes that possible. And as mentioned it's ideal for Sauternes and other sweeties. OMG, port! I can finally start buying more vintage port.

Which raises the question - has anyone had problems using this with old crumbly corks? Also, how does it interact with wines that have thrown a lot of sediment?

Per today's Bloomberg, they will be shipping a new, finer needle soon for crappy corks.
Semi-retired ex-wannabe hipster doofus

Moderators; Please have Robert Pollard-Smith taken out to the woodshed and beaten within an inch of his life. Thank you. MarkFranks
Mark Mason

Coravin demo

Post #208  Postby Mark Mason » August 12th 2013, 1:28pm

The injection hole is very small by the looks of the posted pics and could easily be missed on certain capsules. I was hoping that it would be more obvious in order to identify auction wine that may have been sampled.
B. Buzzini
(Online)

Coravin demo

Post #209  Postby B. Buzzini » August 12th 2013, 7:38pm

gwagner wrote:Anyone know where the needle unclog tool is? I couldn't find it. Is it loosely shipped in the box?

Anyone find this yet? I don't see one either?
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian
J. Galang

Coravin demo

Post #210  Postby J. Galang » August 12th 2013, 7:41pm

and so it begins....

problem is the wine was so good I wanted more!
Joel Galang

Return to Wine Talk