Can I use my iPhone in Italy?

I would like the option to make calls. I have Verizon. Do I need a special plan?

You can save a bit with their World Traveler or whatever it’s called (the one that costs ca $5/month). But the rates are still very high.

it will probably be stolen.

Yes, you’ll want to first make sure your phone’s programming is up to date for international travel. I forget exactly how to do that, but it’s on the web site, or you can call them ask for help. If you want to text and use data, you’ll need to set up a plan for that. I think it’s like $25 for 100MB. If you don’t arrange that ahead, it’s ridiculously expensive. Connecting to a wireless network gets you free data, of course, so you’ll want to do that when you can. I will connect to a network, load web pages or maps ahead before I go out on the road, that can help sometimes.

Try this page: Plan Your International Trip | Verizon

The alternative, which would probably be much cheaper, is to purchase a local prepaid SIM card. (That’s if your phone is not locked to prevent it).

$25 for 100MB and $1/minute (outgoing and incoming) for voice calls is ridiculously expensive.

I won’t disagree, but it’s get a WHOLE lot worse if you don’t sign up for the $25/100 plan.

With a TIM Italy prepaid sim, 1GB costs €10, good for a month…

Do I need a separate phone?

If your current phone is locked, then you will need an un-locked phone to load the sim card into. This is only cheap if you will be using the phone a lot.

Verizon should be willing to unlock it. I’ve used a Vodafone sim pay as you go with my iphone and it can be a lot cheaper than Verizon. You would have a local phone number and wil not be able to receive calls from your Verizon number. The local sim is best if you want to call the USA or use a fair amount of data. There are different packages for calling overseas that will include 100 minutes or data plans for 5 gb a month.
That’s the advantages but the disadvantage is the time spent going to a store to get a sim and setup on a pay as you go which isn’t as easy given the language barrier if you have problems.
You can also get sims before you go from resellers but that never seems as cheap.
If you travel to multiple countries you may as well use Verizon afaik.

I’m not a Verizon customer and don’t know if their iPhones are carrier locked for use with a sim card or not.

If your phone is unlocked and you want to purchase and set up TIM Italy service in advance, check out Italy SIM Card by Tim | Local Italian Sim Card | Telestial

FYI, In order to buy an Italian sim (whether through a reseller like Telestial or in person in Italy), you now must provide your passport and other information for registration with the government. Telestial will do all of the setup and activation for $49, including a TIM Italy sim card with €5 remaining. The €10 activation charge by TIM is included in the price. Tobacco shops throughout Italy sell recharge (ricarica) top up cards to add credit from which you can make voice calls and purchase data plans. Depending on how long you will be in Italy and how much you will want to use your iPhone for voice and data will determine whether it is worth the cost and hassle of obtaining and learning the ins and outs of using a local sim card and the various plan options.

Verizon will unlock your iphone for you. See here.

Any idea if that TIM card also works in France - I"m going to both countries soon.

Barry,
The TIM Italy card is country specific. In France, I use Orange France. They now have very reasonable voice and data plans, some of which are tailored to tourists. When are you going?

Last time I checked most Verizon phones were not GSM but CDMA, so do not have a SIM card. If that’s the case with yours, then you won’t be able to use it unless it’s especially made (which I think they did on a few phones). But only GSM phones will work in Europe.

I have TMobile which worked great while in France and Italy earlier this year (both voice and data).

More than one person has told me that TMobile is the way to go.

I’m still looking at our options, and I really appreciate all the advice.

If you want someone to sell and set up a prepaid Orange account, I suggest that you contact Elaine Mahy at elaine.mahy@gmail.com or http://forthevoyage.ecrater.co.uk/c/135027186/local-sim-cards.

Elaine is located on Guernsey and will set you up. Her time/profit is built-in to the cost of buying SIM cards and additional recharges if you want to buy them from her. She also publishes English notes about various Orange FR plan options, which she makes available to her customers. I highly recommend Elaine for those who don’t want to do it themselves after arriving in France. She will do everything in advance of your arrival, so that your voice, data, and email plans are active when you land.

T-Mobile is great for tourists and short term visitors who don’t need a local phone number. Calls are .20/minute to local landlines and to and from most European countries to the US. Data and text roaming are included in most of their plans. I don’t know what data networks/speeds are included in the free plans. Taking my T-Mobile phone to Dublin next month and won’t bother with an o2 Ireland sim for the short time we will be there.

Still will need to make sure any iPhone is not locked to any other carrier.

Don’t leave us, Dietz! At least, not for too long.