West Point advice

We’ll be attending nephew’s graduation. We’ll be there for 2 or 3 days.

Would you connect via air, enjoy a train ride or rent a car?

Advice on hotels or restaurants?

Thanks

Rent a car. You’ll really need it to get around once you’re there.

You’ll be 30-40 miles south of Poughkeepsie and Hyde Park. If the weather is good, Poughkeepsie has the Walkway over the Hudson and a few nice restaurants. Hyde Park is the home of the CIA (the good one), as well as FDR’s home and the Vanderbilt Mansion. All worth seeing.

What is your nephew’s major?

Shouldn’t this be in the Offline forum? neener

I agree with Ken. Newark (EWR) would be the best airport to fly into. It will probably have the best choices and cheapest fares.
A few carriers fly to Stewart Airport. That’s the closest airport to West Point, followed by White Plains aka Westchester County Airport (HPN).

I would also recommend flying to Stewart or Westchester if you can get there from where you are, but if you have to change planes than EWR is the way to go. Beacon is a nice little town, and as Ken says the action is on the east side of the river from Poughkeepsie to Rheinbeck if you want restaurants, quaint shops, and a classic Hudson Valley late spring experience.

Also don’t forget about Millbrook winery, where you can pick up some Williams Selyem if you don’t like the local juice. Millbrook Vineyards & Winery - New York Winery & Vineyard

Oh, I forgot about Tuthilltown Spirits in Gardiner. http://www.tuthilltown.com/

Fly into EWR or JFK, rent a car, and drive. Or hire a car and driver from Mid Hudson Limo. I flew and drove twice a year for four years while my daughter attended college near Rhinebeck. She and her friends would hire a car from Mid Hudson Limo to get to and from JFK or EWR. Mid Hudson Limo is reasonable and reliable. I miss that part of the Hudson Valley.

Systems Engineering. If things don’t change significantly in class rank , he’ll be getting his diploma handed by the president.

Thanks for all of the advice. We got a few more details…the family is staying in Tarrytown. We are taking a graduation day shuttle bus to avoid some of the security lines/parking issues.

I wish we were staying longer, and could hook up with Ken V, Dan and others. I’m checking dates but I think we might be tight timewise.

I agree with all the suggestions above, esp. re renting the car. If you have free time (seems like you won’t) and anyone in your family is into that sort of thing there’s a huge outlet center - Woodbury Common - a 20 minute drive from West Point.

We go there about twice a year, got some Frette towels at 80% off last time.

Cool. One of my PhD students is a professor there in Electrical Engineering.

Chris,

If you want to meet for breakfast one morning (if you have the time), my local greasy spoon railroad car diner (Star Diner in White Plains) is the perfect place. You haven’t said which airport you’re flying to?

dh

Let me know if you do have time.

Tried to get decent flights into newark, but they are expensive or involve long indirect flights. I can get a cheap direct flight into JFK.

Arriving 1030 on Monday 5/26. Outbound 1125 on Thursday.

So Monday night might work for getting together

If you’re around on this particular Monday, you can join us. Kittle House NY May 12th Offline Bordeaux vs Cali Cab April/May - Event Planner - Online or Offline - WineBerserkers

champagne.gif

Alas, missed it by a couple of weeks

Chris - Good luck to your nephew. I have a lot of connections with the Army and engineering. Would be interested in knowing what his first assignment would be. West Point graduation is a great event. Enjoy.

Monday 5/26 is Memorial Day, so I’d have to see what’s happening with family obligations before I could commit.

You could try and snag a reservation at Blue Hill at Stone Barns in Pocantico Hills, couple of miles from Tarrytown, Call them do not use open table 30 days in advance.

There’s a Westchester contingent that could also do Crabtree’s Kittle House if they’re open…Dan H? I might be able to make it up from the city for that.

Whoops, just noticed the thread Dan linked, maybe 2x in 2 weeks is a bit much for them… [cheers.gif]

We are staying in Tarrytown. Any advice on a tourist driving loop with some good “road food” places with local fare?