Greek Island Q:

Headin’ over to Santorini next spring/summer (or so is the plan).

Q1:
Those who’ve been - do you say 2 nights in Mykonos/Milos/Paros, then 4 nights in Santorini?
Or 5-6 nights in Santorini only?

Q2: If 2 nights somewhere else first, Which one? Milos? paros? Naxos? Mykonos? Ios?

This will be May… and we’ll be in France/Athens (shortly) before hand so no jetlag issue etc.

Thanks!

Kind of depends what you are looking for. I haven’t been to Milos or Paros, but we’ve spent some time in Santorini and Mykonos. Advantages of going to Mykonos are (i) a chance to spend some time on a ferry exploring the islands betweeen the two, (ii) an opportunity to Delos and its ruins, which are just off of Mykonos city (well worth the day), (iii) touring the Jackie Kennedy/Ari Onasis house if you are into sure things and (iv) a chance to spend some time with Petros the pelican (Mykonos Attractions - Pelican of Mykonos Island Petros the Pelican Mykonos). Mykonos has some lovely beaches and resorts (away from Mykonos city), but much of it is quite desert-like and not as visually attractive as Santorini, which is quite breathtaking and which can probably keep you busy for 6 days if you elect to remain there and plan on some chill time.

I agree with David. It depends on what you want to do. If you want to move around, explore and be active, Mykonos has more to offer. If you want to chill and lay by the pool, Santorini is beautiful. Mykonos has better beaches and more nightlife. Santorini has the Caldera.

We are headed back in June for our annual visit; this year 9 nights on Santorini and 8 on Mykonos. We always go to Santorini and either Mykonos or Crete. Traveling by ferry between Mykonos and Santorini really takes half a day, by the time you factor waiting time and ground transportation. Hotel check-in times are late in the afternoon. As a result, 2 nights becomes a full day and change, which isn’t enough time for any of the larger Islands in my opinion.

I would push your Islands visit to June, if possible. May is still cool and, when the wind blows, can be cold. July and August are scorching.

Curious, anyone been to Folegandros? fantastic reviews of it, but apparently not really discovered…

In Santorini do not ride the donkeys down the stairs, up is fun though.

Two summers ago, several tethered donkeys fell over the side while heading down the stairs on the east (Caldera) side of Santorini, killing themselves and their passengers. They had closed the stairs for donkey rides for the summer by the time we arrived in June. When we returned last June, the donkey taxis were back after a railing was installed. The donkey stairs on the nort end of Santorini are less treacherous.

Regardless the rails do not ride them down.

Agreed. Funicular down, donkeys up. My wife always says that watching me ride the donkey’s uphill is the best. Purple if euros she has ever spent in Europe

I’ve never ridden one of those donkeys up or down. I have walked the steps on the north side that go to Ammoudi Bay. My wife decided that we should walk up back to Oia after dinner at Sunset Taberna (which I highly recommend) one night several years ago. Not a good idea when it is dark and hard to see the piles of donkey crap.