Golfing Scotland

Hey Folks!

Have an opportunity to spend a week in Scotland in August.

I am really hoping to play The Old Course, but, it is sold out. Have calls into some companies to try to get a time and know about the ballot system as well.

I have been researching other courses to play while there and figured some of our board members have golfed Scotland before and can give me their opinion on their favorite courses played while there.

Thanks!

Leslie

I’ve heard from many that Kingsbarns is great!

If you can’t get on the Old Course, if you’re in the area you can at least go walk it, on Sunday when it’s closed. No fences, no one will bother you walking on the course. I have not played it, would of course love to, but I can also think of a couple dozen courses I’d rather play than St. Andrews. Just isn’t as interesting to look at or be on as many, many other courses I’ve played or seen. Pretty sure I’ll get hammered for saying that, just my opinion :wink:

Alan should I start… [stirthepothal.gif] The Old Course is just that THE OLD COURSE. Its the history of all the greats who have played it. For me its like going to Mecca.

Leslie:

A lot depends on where you are going to be based in Scotland during your stay and whether you will have your own transportation. Based on past experience, if you’re in Lothian, I’d hit Muirfield, Gullane and North Berwick, in the Highlands, Royal Dornoch, Nairn and Brora (played Castle Stuart as well but didn’t love it - felt a little too much like an international resort and less like Scotland), Argylle/Bute, Machrihanish GC, Machrie Links (Machrihanish Dunes is ok too, but more like Castle Stuart to me).

Troon and Carnoustie were both fine, but felt quite corporate (that may have been attributable to the group I was with, as the guys all wanted the “best of the best” and skipped a lot of the really fun tracks such as Nairn and Brora).

The Old Course is quite an experience, also loved Aberdeen and Cruden Bay. Enjoy the trip and report back when you can. Golf Club Atlas is a pretty good resource and there are a number of Scotland specific golf sites as well. Hope you have a great time.

I know, I know, I left myself open. I have not played it, though I’ve walked parts of it twice. But honestly, aside from the history, it’s just not that interesting of a course. To me [truce.gif]

I have had the opportunity to play the old course several times. I enjoyed the history of it but each time I played it the weather was horrendous. Horizontal rain for hours and a wind that by the end of the round cuts through you like a hot knife into butter. Unless you are a bit of a masochist you would not have enjoyed the rounds.

In more favorable conditions I played the new course (1895 I think) and would recommend it if you can’t get on the Old and Kingsbarns which is a few miles south of St. Andrews.

I also played and stayed at Gleneagles and enjoyed both very much although it was not close to St. Andrews.

I’m not a golfer but my father and grandfather were very keen and pretty good. They always highly recommended North Berwick as their favourite course fwiw.

Thank you for the replies everyone!

My locations all depends if I go with a friend or not. I will probably more explore with my direction savvy friend, but, if its just me, I will keep it to the St Andrews and closely surrounding areas.

Also, any hotel suggestions would be. Something mid range would rock.

And for this, ye shall be known henceforth as Old Alan Strauss…… [snort.gif]

The plan as of now…

Waitlist / Ballot Old Course for 3 days

Kingbarns

Carnoustie

Gleneagles

Three great choices Leslie and Old Course is WELL worth the wait if you get on. If you are a solo you can get there early and get on daily list. 50/50 chance you will get out. First time I played the course I did not get it, had a so so caddy, played bad and wasn’t the best experience. Second time however was amazing, great caddy that immediately stated - “today we are avoiding the bunkers” - and we succeeded, only hitting into 1 all day which is a minor accomplishment. The most “interesting” course I have ever played and an absolute joy to play. You can score on this course too, not the most difficult but stay out of bunkers - basically 1 shot penalty minimum. I tripled 17 for the second year in a row and posted 85 which i was happy with (9 handicap).
Kingsbarns - A great day on the links, played it twice and loved it both times. Nice mix of true links and Pebble Beach links. Absolutely gorgeous setting with half the holes on the water.
Carnoustie - Another great, classic course. First 13 holes are a relative breeze then hold on tight for a brutal finish. I was 5 over after 13 and posted 92+. Would play those finishing holes much different next time.
Gleneagles - Spectacular resort in the highlands! Only an hour from St Andrews so a great base or easy if staying in SA. I played the Nicklaus course (Ryder Cup course this year) and absolutely loved it but not a links course, more of a parkland with some links style thrown in. The Kings and Queens, which I did not play, look to be more traditional. You will love this place, one of the great resorts of the world!

Have fun and keep your head down.

Tom. Love your reply. Thank you so much! Makes me even more excited about the whole thing.

Resurrecting this thread. I am 3 weeks away from starting my trip.

I have 2 open days for golf if I get out on The Old Course the first day. I will be staying in Dundee. Any suggestions on where else I should play if I planning on playing Old Course, Kingsbarns and Carnoustie?

Go to Gleneagles for the day. If you have not been - one of the best resorts in the world period. Just screams class, beauty. Even without the golf its a pretty special place. But if its golf your after they have 3 courses. The Nicklaus course (Ryder Cup this year) is really nice but not a true links course but if they let you play it by all means go for it - got to be in top shape with the tourney about a month out. The other 2 courses there are the Kings and Queens and are both traditional Scottish courses and really fun to play. About a 1 hour drive.
If you don’t feel like driving check out the New Course (adjacent to Old Course and as good as but just not the history - tougher too), The Dukes (Herb Kohlers course of the toilet fame) is another treat. More of an American style layout but fun and out of the wind.
Or if it was me I’d get back in line to play the Old again and again. Great golf experience. Soak it in. Never the same course from one round to the next.

Hey Tom!

Thank you so much!

I am thinking about another trip around the Old Course as a possibility.

Wanted to play the Ryder Cup course but they are already limiting play on it to people staying on property.

Just got back from a golf outing on the west side but have been to the east side twice. Besides the Old course, by far the best all around experience was Royal Aberdeen. Great links course, loads of history (check out the “black ball” box in one of their showcases) and a fair test of your skills. Have a great time!

Leslie please post your thoughts and experience. I had a great time on the Old Course and even got emotional as I walked to the 16th green in anticipation of the Road Hole. On 17 I hit 2 great shots that left me on the front of the green (18 ft) only to 3 jack my putts [head-bang.gif] I folded under pressure as there were plenty of people watching.
photo (2).jpg

Nice, Ed!

My one time on the Road Hole in 1990, I reached in two, just about 3 inches on, and left front with the flagstick tucked behind The Bunker. With my pitching wedge, I hit a nice lob to about 10 feet, taking a divot out of The Road Hole Green, and missed the par putt (karma, I reckon).

Nerves got me nicely on 1 and 18, tee shots and approach shots. Chunking the approach on 18 was especially sweet. [barf.gif]