Visiting Sonoma in April Recomendations needed

Will be in Sonoma for a couple of days in mid April and need some recommendations as to where to stay with my family. I plan to visit some wineries in the region. WS, Copain, maybe Wind Gap and Littorai(all prospects). Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Hi Sebastian,

Sorry nobody’s responded so far. I hesitate because I’m far from an expert on the area, but I would suggest Santa Rosa as a reasonably central home base for all the wineries you mention. It has plentiful hotels and some of the more reasonably priced lodging in the area, plus Rosso’s Pizza. It is very much a medium-sized city so if you’re looking for a more pastoral setting, better look to the north or west. There are a number of wineries tucked into the industrial spaces around town which you might find of interest, like Siduri/Novy, Jemrose, and Ceritas.

Stayed at the Farmhouse Inn a few years back. Nice digs, very good restaurant, expensive.

Thanks. Ill look into both suggestions. Appreciate it.

Sebastian - “Sonoma” is a big place. some questions:

• are you looking for Hotel, Resort, B&B, rental house, other?
  • do you want to stay in/near the town of Sonoma, or are you thinking about RRV, Alexander Valley, Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma Valley, other?
  • is wine tasting the focus of the visit, or are you looking for other activities to do near where you are staying?

Since your wine visits are bunched in West County I would take Larry’s suggestion on Santa Rosa or Sebastopol. Since you are traveling with your family I will not suggest anything too expensive.

http://www.reservationcounter.com/hotels/show/169520/fairfield-inn-and-suites-santa-rosa-sebastopol/?TID=sxDUUenZY_dc|pcrid|29580555679&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=fairfield%20inn%20%26%20suites%20sebastopol%20sebastopol%20ca&utm_campaign=Marriott%20-%20Fairfield%20Inn&mm_campaign=61e23501c3a7666376c173fa44c75e69&keyword=fairfield%20inn%20%26%20suites%20sebastopol%20sebastopol%20ca&hotelid=169520

Paul,

I will just be in sonoma for a day and a half and am looking to stay near the wineries i mentioned above as my “wine” time is limited and the region is pretty large.

See post #6 above. The hotel is within 2-10 minutes road time to all the wineries listed in your OP. Hard to be any more centralized.

See post #6 above. The hotel is within 2-10 minutes road time to all the wineries listed in your OP. Hard to be any more centralized.[/quote]

Agree. I think i will take your advice. Thanks again.

My best winery visit ever was to Scherrer. By appointment only. And they make great wine.

As this question (and the same for Napa) comes up SO OFTEN (even I have posted it, probably several times), should we perhaps have a managed sticky thread compiling all the recommendations, and some info on each recommendation?

Possibly but the problem arises where new wineries come up, new accommodations open up and some close down. It’s something that would need to be updated for sure. In this thread he is asking about places to stay rather than places to visit so maybe two threads or one broken into wineries, hotels, attractions…

My 2¢

Why not Paso or SCM too?

I do think what Brian is doing is terrific.

Spent a week in Sonoma (the true coast) and Napa at the end of March. Will get detailed notes posted by the end of this week…I hope.

For Sonoma…although we stayed on the coast, we had good tastings at both Littoria and Copain and I would recommend both. Not sure of your tastes, but Kistler has just opened up their Trenton Road tasting room right around the corner from Copain.

Sticky request enetered: Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help. - Travel, Wine Tourism, and Restaurants Forum - WineBerserkers

If we could get Berserkeres to chime in with their recommended stops and/or a quick synopsis of their feelings we could really bring the thread to a new level. I will update the OP with everyone’s thoughts and make it a true Berserker driven thread. [cheers.gif]